Was looking around for a Jackson Kelly. Went to the official (jacksonguitars.com) website and found out, they only have an entry level guitar made in china,bolt-on etc., and a high-end USA model, one that cost like... a bilion dolars...

Im kinda puzzled, theres no in-between choice?
There are, loads. The official website just lists the ones currently in production. IIRC, there's at least the KE-3, which is a pretty good quality, middle level guitar. I'm not an expert when it comes to Jackson, but I could swear there are other ones out there, too - probably made in Japan or in Korea - for an 'in-between' Kelly.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
there used to be japanese-built in-between ones (ke3 and ke5), but i think the factory which made them shut. Which sucks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ebay. ke3, ke5, and there used to be a kelly professional.

and then the performer, which was basically a slightly nicer j32
also the jackson stars king kelly (mij by san dimas i think)
Last edited by Ashe_Mc at Mar 28, 2012,
Whoa, not really much results on ebay, seems either they are all keepers or... not many are still around.. or...i have no idea haha, might get that red ke3, but the bolt-on scares me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
there used to be japanese-built in-between ones (ke3 and ke5), but i think the factory which made them shut. Which sucks.

Yeah, it's a real shame. Chushin Gakki has been churning out the Japanese Jacksons for years, but the economy just went downhill and they couldn't continue. They weren't really turning much profit anyway, they were doing it just because they loved building guitars. But then the exchange rates went the wrong way and they were forced to shut down. It's a real shame.

Hopefully Jackson will resurrect the Pro series line sometime soon, but as to where they have them built I have no idea.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Yeah, it's a real shame. Chushin Gakki has been churning out the Japanese Jacksons for years.

Hopefully Jackson will resurrect the Pro series line sometime soon, but as to where they have them built I have no idea.

What year was Chushin Gakki shut down?

I had always assumed it closed with the discontinuation of the pro series in 95 and all operations moved to the Charvel Plant - but then recently I read somewhere that the Charvel plant and Chushin were infact the same place... can you shine any light on this for me?
Quote by zero

I had always assumed it closed with the discontinuation of the pro series in 95 and all operations moved to the Charvel Plant - but then recently I read somewhere that the Charvel plant and Chushin were infact the same place... can you shine any light on this for me?

I'm not completely sure exactly what's gone on, but I think they only just closed recently. That might have been a few weeks or a few months ago.

From what I've gathered, they never really had any sort of long term contract with Jackson. The guy who ran it was doing it for the love of building instruments, and wasn't making much money on it. But as the yen got stronger compared to USD, he just couldn't afford to keep it open.

It seems that in the early 90's "Professional" era, Jackson had a contract with a Japanese trading company, who in turn had Chushin build the guitars. That contract expired around '94, and I think after that Jackson just went back to Chushin without a middleman. I think they're been producing all of the Japanese J/Cs ever since.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Yeah, it's a real shame. Chushin Gakki has been churning out the Japanese Jacksons for years, but the economy just went downhill and they couldn't continue. They weren't really turning much profit anyway, they were doing it just because they loved building guitars. But then the exchange rates went the wrong way and they were forced to shut down. It's a real shame.

yeah. but i mean really the reason the pro series was great was because it was made in japan and was (until recently, anyway) reasonable value. they weren't as nice as the US jacksons, but they were still "good" guitars, for prices no more (and often less) than your run-of-the-mill schecters and the like. I mean I'd be kidding myself if I claimed I wouldn't rather have a USA Jackson, but when the Pro series was a quarter of the price (and were still good quality MIJ guitars), it wasn't hard to like them.

Quote by zero

very recently- last month or two, i think.

there are threads about it on jcf if you're interested.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 29, 2012,
i have a Kelly performer and i love it. its my main axe. nice thin neck but i blocked the floyd so i cant say much about it.
I found a Jackson KE3 Kelly on ebay, its been used, and its dated 2003, everything is pretty much stock, with a few nicks, goes for 310 pounds with shipping, I currently have an Epi Les Paul Standard, id snatch the kelly, but the bolt-on just leaves my heart reastless.

Whats your opinions on this one guys?

Last edited by Arunas at Mar 30, 2012,
£310 is a right bit. at one point they weren't going new for that much more (and they were the 2006 ones with the "real" duncans, not duncan-designed).

I guess, if i were paying that much i'd want real duncans, at very least.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arunas
id snatch the kelly, but the bolt-on just leaves my heart reastless

Cant really comment on price in your part of the world, however I find the Jackson bolt-ons really good. Make sure you give one a play if you haven't already as they play surprisingly well.

I also agree with Dave, you would probably do well to scope out a model with duncans rather than the DD's especially if they are a similar price.
Yeah, I'd say that's a bit too much for that one. A post-2006 might be worth it since they have the real Duncans and the improved Floyd with the hardened baseplate.

General rule on Jackson's licensed Floyds of the last decade or so is that the black ones are better than the chrome. The black ones have a hardened baseplate and the chrome ones don't.
Quote by Dave_Mc
£310 is a right bit. at one point they weren't going new for that much more (and they were the 2006 ones with the "real" duncans, not duncan-designed).

I guess, if i were paying that much i'd want real duncans, at very least.

Im surprised by what you wrote, if ke3's were considered... at one point the middle guitar in the kelly lineup, and werent even costing this much... how much were the lower end models worth ?
If the lower ones today are worth
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_js32_kelly_w_fr_sw.htm

Im kinda puzzled.
yeah the prices have shot way up

the yen is very, very strong at the moment
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
God, I wish someone sold me a kelly. Ebay is packed with Js's, sevenstrings,jcf dont have nothing. Damn I'm going insane refreshing ebay every 10 minutes