So during the day when I'm not at home, my guitar sits by a window and the sunlight shines on it. I notice when I get home that it's usually hot so it must be getting some heat.
How bad is this for my guitar?
What should I do to stop any negative effects of the sunlight?
My whole room gets sunlight during the day so I can't really move it, would putting a sheet over it while I'm away stop any damage?
Well if your guitar has a white pickguard, it may fade. Also depending on how hot the sun is, i can't imagine it doing the guitar in general much good.

Nitrocellulose finishes like the fade a lot in sunlight too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
+1

also depends on where the window is. if you're in the sahara it's gonna be a bit different to iceland (though putting it right smack in front of a window is hardly ideal in any case. also you're sorta advertising it to burglars).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sunlight's one thing, heat can cause acoustic bridges and pickguards to let go when hide glue melts.
is it a goth guitar?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Yes, too much UV radiation will cause the magnets in the pickups to disintegrate and the frets to rust. Also, directly sunlight may cause a chalky feel on the finish. Don't worry, that's just the polyurethane degrading into it's constituent particles: arsenic, cyanide, anthrax and water vapor.

Also, the guitar could get hot.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Thanks for the replies guys, it's a Schecter C1 Custom.
Also only the back of the guitar is what's facing the sun, and I'm from England so the sun isn't too hot (although 20+C recently).
I read elsewhere on the internet that the neck can warp from uneven heating which is why I'm worried.
Probably best to move it, or install blinds, draw the curtains or something.

Better to be safe than sorry! Especially when it comes to such a nice guitar.
Quote by agroban
Put it in a case or gig bag when your not playing it...

This.

Its a good idea for 3 reasons.

1. it stops your guitar from getting dinged

2. It blocks UV

3. You can have the guitar in direct sunlight and the heat will not damage the guitar. The case distributes the heat around the guitar evenly and djently. Having the guitar in a hot or cold climate is fine just as long as its introduced to the environment gradually and evenly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This.

Its a good idea for 3 reasons.

1. it stops your guitar from getting dinged

2. It blocks UV

3. You can have the guitar in direct sunlight and the heat will not damage the guitar. The case distributes the heat around the guitar evenly and djently. Having the guitar in a hot or cold climate is fine just as long as its introduced to the environment gradually and evenly.

it's a bad idea though because when i put guitars in cases they just tend to stay there and i don't play as much

Don't get me wrong, your points are all valid, but i bought my guitars to play them

granted i'm in northern ireland and the summer temperature is about two degrees warmer than the winter
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by agroban
Put it in a case or gig bag when your not playing it...

Good idea, I think I will do this from now on.
Thanks again everyone
Kind of depends on how old your windows are. Modern UV resistant window glass does a decent job of filtering out the most harmful UV rays. I've had my acoustic guitar near a large window for at least 6 years. No issues...and solid body guitars are much less susceptible to heat damage.The only possible damage I can imagine would be a slight change in the color of the guitar. UV will darken lacquer over time. It may even darken or yellow any white plastic parts. It will happen so slowly you won't even notice. I know some people keep their guitars in the sun intentionally to get that nice aged amber color on maple necks. Sun shining through the window will not generate enough heat to worry about. A good rule is that if it's comfortable to you, it's OK for your guitar. I say don't worry about it. Play it and display it! If the fact that it's sitting out inspires you to play more often it's totally worth whatever minute cosmetic damage may occur.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Well if your guitar has a white pickguard, it may fade.

Quote by Guitbuilder
Sunlight's one thing, heat can cause acoustic bridges and pickguards to let go when hide glue melts.

Had both happen - my Cort now has a nice (or maybe not-so-nice) 'vintage' appearance and I was slapped on the hand by the bridge of a cheap acoustic. It made a few buckling noises first.
Last edited by DeadF18 at Apr 1, 2012,
Dont you have a closet in your room???? Heat is bad, but the light will cause it to fade/age. I leave my guitars out in a well lit room, just not in direct sunlight.