I'm looking to buy an amp that can be used for recording. Right now, I have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, and at 40 watts, it is way to loud. I need something that can run between 5-15 watts. It also needs to be able to get a good metal sound when pushed hard. Price range of $700 or less. Combo or head doesn't matter to me.

I've heard that the Orange Tiny terror can get 80's metal when cranked up, and also was also looking at the Carvin V3M, which is switchable to 7 watts.

Any suggestions and ideas would be great. Thanks.
Baron Custom Amps Snott Watt.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Baron Custom Amps Snott Watt.

+1 on this

Great sounding amp. Check some of the soundclips and some info on it. Oh, and it looks really cool as well. It's a little pricey but in all honesty it's a great amp and from what I know fits your description really well.

http://www.baroncustomamps.com/snott.php
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Some of the lower wattage Egnater's and Jet City amps can go metal if you put an OD pedal in front of it.
Am I really the only one who has the experience
that low wattage tube amps suck major ass in the distortion department?

You want lots of preamp gain for that, not butchered up power amp gain?
Last edited by Dunkelheit-164 at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Dunkelheit-164

My Orange Dark Terror disagrees with you, sir! It is amazing, particularly in the distortion department!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Dunkelheit-164

There's not a lot I've come across that pull off a modern high gain tone as well as a full size amp with an abundance of preamp tubes to facilitate such a tone, but from what I've heard and come across, the Snott Watt does a very good job in that department so I recommended it as it was within his criteria. I've heard one with a boost out front (OD808) and the tone for modern high gain is excellent... far from "sucking major ass." Listen to the soundclip on the site tracked with a Killswitch Engage riff and tell me that sounds like major ass. Will you get a fuller tone out of a larger tube amp? Probably... but the OP has stated that he does not want such a powerful amp. It's a tradeoff but it doesn't have to be bad. The Snott Watt, in my opinion, is a great option, not to say that other amps that have been posted aren't. There are many smaller amps that do it well... the Dark Terror from orange is another example although it's a different high gain tone than the Snott Watt. Don't be so quick to shoot them down.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by trippingiraffe
I'm looking to buy an amp that can be used for recording. Right now, I have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, and at 40 watts, it is way to loud. I need something that can run between 5-15 watts. It also needs to be able to get a good metal sound when pushed hard. Price range of $700 or less. Combo or head doesn't matter to me.

I've heard that the Orange Tiny terror can get 80's metal when cranked up, and also was also looking at the Carvin V3M, which is switchable to 7 watts.

Any suggestions and ideas would be great. Thanks.

Within your criteria there are a ton of different options. Poke around and see if you find sound clips of them. Some YouTube vids have good quality audio in addition to the video, so that might get you started -- but try to play them in person.

I'm a big fan of Hughes & Kettner's Tubemeister line. They have an 18 (which is what I have) which is switchable between 18, 5 & 1 watt. They also have a 5 watter. And their newest is the 36 (which I'll be getting when it comes out in a few months) that is switchable between 36, 18, 5 & 1 watt.

The Tubemeisters have a built in Red Box, which allows you to connect directly to a recording interface. This is one of the reasons I think it might be an excellent fit for you.

The 36 is also MIDI enabled, which includes their power soak options. What this means is by way of a MIDI controller you could have your Crunch channel on 18 watts with whatever reverb/gain you want and your Lead channel on 36 watts, etc. and switch everything with one click of your MIDI controller. Pretty cool, huh?

Lastly, the Tubemeisters are all EL84 powered (except for the 5, which has a 12BH7). So consider if that's the kind of amp color you're after. Was there a particular power tube you were after? That might make it easier for people to recommend an amp. I mean if you're looking for an KT88/EL34 or 6L6 sound, then I'm recommending the wrong amp...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Mar 28, 2012,
If you have a cab and can stretch to 1000$ theres a bunch of options

Mesa mini rec
Orange dark terror
Orange #4 jim root terror thing
Carvin V3m
Baron snot watt
The 5153 mini (yes its 50w but those types of amps can get great lowerr volume tones)
The new steve vai legacy 3? (not sure but its a guess)

Theyll all do great metal tones at lower volumes just alldifferently

And yes I know I essentially compiled most of the suggestions so far into one list
But again, it'd be helpful to know what type of tone you're after.
The Baron (12BH7)
Mini Recto, Orange Dark Terror, V3M (all EL84)
5150 Mini (6L6)
Steve Vai Legacy 3 (EL34)
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Within your criteria there are a ton of different options. Poke around and see if you find sound clips of them. Some YouTube vids have good quality audio in addition to the video, so that might get you started -- but try to play them in person.

I'm a big fan of Hughes & Kettner's Tubemeister line. They have an 18 (which is what I have) which is switchable between 18, 5 & 1 watt. They also have a 5 watter. And their newest is the 36 (which I'll be getting when it comes out in a few months) that is switchable between 36, 18, 5 & 1 watt.

The Tubemeisters have a built in Red Box, which allows you to connect directly to a recording interface. This is one of the reasons I think it might be an excellent fit for you.

The 36 is also MIDI enabled, which includes their power soak options. What this means is by way of a MIDI controller you could have your Crunch channel on 18 watts with whatever reverb/gain you want and your Lead channel on 36 watts, etc. and switch everything with one click of your MIDI controller. Pretty cool, huh?

Lastly, the Tubemeisters are all EL84 powered (except for the 5, which has a 12BH7). So consider if that's the kind of amp color you're after. Was there a particular power tube you were after? That might make it easier for people to recommend an amp. I mean if you're looking for an KT88/EL34 or 6L6 sound, then I'm recommending the wrong amp...

Is H&K paying you to advertise their tubemeisters? I've seen you on like three other forums starting threads about tubemeisters
Quote by hconn
Is H&K paying you to advertise their tubemeisters? I've seen you on like three other forums starting threads about tubemeisters

Yeah, I get a small percentage of any referral sales. I don't even like their crap...

But seriously, while I do have a pretty big hardon for their stuff I think I've only ever started 3 threads about them. One here about the upcoming release of the 36 (because no one else had), one on TGP and one on a PRS-specific forum about a NAD.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Mar 28, 2012,
You could save some more $$ and pick up a Bogner International like the Brixton. The Internationals were designed to do high gain at super low volumes. With the exception of the Barcelona (40 watts and was designed to be mostly clean anyway), they're between 4 and 18 watts, have very few controls which are variations of volume, mid or voice select, maybe a global tone and the schizo switch (which alters the gain structure and aggressiveness of the response). Super cool, super simple and super damn good at what they do. If you can find one used they'll be in your price range.
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Quote by trippingiraffe
Power tube saturation is always too loud, regardless of wattage. I have a 10w that is painstakingly loud when pushed to the max. 40w and 15w aren't going to be far off, and based on what you describe you would be better using preamp gain for what you play.

Regardless, for the style of music you play you require something of higher gain. Since you stated you liked 80's metal, a Jet City JCA5012c would probably suit you the best, and it doesn't need to be cranked to get distortion or a good sound.
I think your on the right track with the Carvin V3M. Think versatility. Set it to 7 watts for recording or use the line out. Set it to 22 watts for small clubs or band practice and for medium size clubs set it to 50 watts with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.
Isocab.
However, Fender Deluxe for metal??? You can solve the volume problem with a decent iso cab but I have to wonder how you are currently getting your distortion anyway; surely you aren't using the distortion on the Fender for that? If you are using some for of modelling device to get it why not just run it direct into the desk? A Deluxe sounds fine turned down if you are just running it clean as a way to get your effects up to a decent volume for miking in a studio.
Anyway, I'll agree with the Snott suggestion. At least it does have decent distortion. Don't get me wrong, I love Deluxes; I'm building a tweed Deluxe myself but for metal??? There's something missing from this story.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 28, 2012,
dv mark lil 40. variable between 0.5 and 40 watts. boom done.

your going to need a pedal for higher gain though.
Last edited by ikey_ at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
Isocab.
However, Fender Deluxe for metal??? You can solve the volume problem with a decent iso cab but I have to wonder how you are currently getting your distortion anyway; surely you aren't using the distortion on the Fender for that?

Well I have an EHX metal muff for distortion. I really like the Fender because I play some blues too, but I want an amp where I can dial in a metal sound without pedals.