So I'm looking into buying an audio interface for recording

Most of my friends seem to have Line 6 POD's
These range from the cheapest studio GX to the Studio UX2

My university has an M-Audio fast track box
(Not sure which model.....but from the looks on the pictures on M-audio's website it is most probably the USB Fast Track Ultra)

I want to buy one of these for recording

My first query to buying these is
1) Does it matter which type of interface I buy, considering I am using Logic
2) USB is probably preferential, so can someone recommend me some USB related brands?

My price range is about 150 at the ABSOLUTE maximum, tbh I'm looking at around 70-100 as a general area
More questions will probably arise, as people reply
I'm not using the Fast Track Ultra, but I am using a Fast Track. I haven't had any experience attempting to use it with Logic but the interface itself is reliable and durable.
Quote by dash-rendar
I'm not using the Fast Track Ultra, but I am using a Fast Track. I haven't had any experience attempting to use it with Logic but the interface itself is reliable and durable.

Is it...well easy to use?
As in setting it up, installing the software on your computer

It's USB right?
Yes, it is USB compatible and in terms of user friendliness, it's just plug n play
I would get a Line 6 UX2 I believe it is about the same price as fast track. I'm happy with mine. I have not had good experiences with M-Audio interfaces (I have owned one and used another a lot) but all my problems were back in vista days. The Lambda Lexicon is a pretty good interface as well that I used for about 5 years.
Quote by FireHawk
I would get a Line 6 UX2 I believe it is about the same price as fast track. I'm happy with mine. I have not had good experiences with M-Audio interfaces (I have owned one and used another a lot) but all my problems were back in vista days. The Lambda Lexicon is a pretty good interface as well that I used for about 5 years.

With your interface, do you use a windows then?
What's the Line 6 actually like?
And also whats the difference between GX, UX1 and UX2?
I mean, apart from ports....
The UX's have like....knobs on top (not really sure what they're for...)
And the UX2 has like....gauges (again not sure what they're for)
Feel free to explain
Last edited by Highelf04 at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by Highelf04
With your interface, do you use a windows then?
What's the Line 6 actually like?
And also whats the difference between GX, UX1 and UX2?
I mean, apart from ports....
The UX's have like....knobs on top (not really sure what they're for...)
And the UX2 has like....gauges (again not sure what they're for)
Feel free to explain

Yes I use windows. There is not really a difference between the Line 6 or M-Audio sound quality, I believe.

GX is just one port.
UX is doesn't have gauges or phantom power.
UX2 has phantom power and gauges. Phantom power is needed to run condenser mics. So if you want to do vocals at some point you need phantom power.

Knobs on UX2 are Mic 1/L Gain, Mic 2/R Gain, Phones, Output

Gauges are meh. They both show overall output unless you go into the options and change it to show different things.
I have a RME Fireface 800.

I think given you are spending so little, a Presonus Firebox will get you the minimum level quality you could use. We used it a lot on our recordings for Knightmares upcoming album. There is a sample of the quality in the top left of the site.

If you plan on mixing everything yourself, that should be fine with the box, however if you are going to be paying in the 4 digit vicinity for mixing, you should probably spend a little extra now. =)
Focusrite has a great selection of consumer models
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I would say get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I have one and its a wonderful little interface that works well with Mac and PC. Only 2 mic/instrument ins and Left and Right out but the onboard preamps make up for the lack of i/o.