Reports are coming in that Sonisphere Festival in the UK has been cancelled due to a lack of ticket sales.

This is a pretty big thing, I can't remember any time since I've been listening to music where a big festival has actually been cancelled.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
When is it due? Isn't this quite early to cancel it? Or is it during the summer?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
When is it due? Isn't this quite early to cancel it? Or is it during the summer?

I think it's early July when it's taking place, so there's a good 4 months left to sell tickets.

The line up isn't astounding though.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Oh no, now the UK will only have 3871293423125 music festivals each year instead of 3871293423126!
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Last edited by lushacrous at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by lushacrous
Oh now, now the UK will only have 3871293423125 music festivals each year instead of 3891293423126!

Festival oversaturation. Download has always been in direct competition with Sonisphere too, and frankly the Download line up pisses all over Sonisphere this year.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Festival oversaturation. Download has always been in direct competition with Sonisphere too, and frankly the Download line up pisses all over Sonisphere this year.

Wasn't overly impressed with either lineup this year.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I think it's early July when it's taking place, so there's a good 4 months left to sell tickets.

The line up isn't astounding though.

Then it really seems to be quite early to cancel it. Or maybe they know they had few if any more headlines to announce and therefore realised ticket sales are not going to explode any further.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Doesn't affect me but I think it's a bit early to call it a day
Maybe people aren't keen on the new Queen frontman, but yes, Download has a far better line up this year. Kinda peaced off that I bought Reading ticket so early, line up isn't as good as Download.
Quote by OtherGuy
Doesn't affect me but I think it's a bit early to call it a day
Maybe people aren't keen on the new Queen frontman, but yes, Download has a far better line up this year. Kinda peaced off that I bought Reading ticket so early, line up isn't as good as Download.

You hit the nail on the head there mate.

I'm only going download this year, mostly for Soundgarden really.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!

IT's on BBC and everything!
Sad times, I was really looking forward to it
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Have you guys seen the Soni line-up? There's a reason it's been cancelled...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Pretty unexpected, considering they have an once in a lifetime headliner (Queen and Adam Lambert)?
Why does no-one mention Hard Rock Calling around here? That's got to be one of the best line-ups this year, with isle of wight. But yeah, I feel both download and sonisphere were a let down considering who's touring the uk this year.
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
Reading is a let down too this year.

I expected festivals to be awesome considering Glastonbury isn't on because of the Olympics.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Reading is a let down too this year.

I expected festivals to be awesome considering Glastonbury isn't on because of the Olympics.

What events do they have on at Shepton Mallet?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quite frankly, Download's list is so much better than Soni's (in terms of what the people who go to these festivals generally want ). Last years Soni was so good, but now none of the headliners are even metal. I'm all for opening up too other genres, but sonisphere is aimed towards metal heads, and they've lost their main audience.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
To be fair, they kept delaying their line up announcement, which caused a lot of hype, and when they did finally announce it, it was a massive let down and easilly the weakest festival line up this year.

I'm just hoping that some of the bands who agreed to play there will now move to other festivals like download or leeds/reading, which could really bring up their not good/not bad line ups.

L.F.C
Quote by tubatom868686
One time I sneezed and pooped in my pants at someones house. It fell down my pantleg onto the floor. I blamed it on the dog. They believed me
Quote by jimmydvn
Why does no-one mention Hard Rock Calling around here?

This. Any festival that has Bruce Springsteen playing has me trying to get there.
Quote by andyscoot
This. Any festival that has Bruce Springsteen playing has me trying to get there.

As you should.

Can't blame the cancellation on Queen+AL though, if they had an own gig tickets would sell by the bucket loads... Problem is the rest of the lineup was extremely weak, there are too many festivals and there's also the EC football in Poland this summer.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Reading's line up is pretty good this year - even I'm tempted to go.....
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I don't think it's down to Queen. I can't believe it though. I guess their line-up just wasn't strong enough.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Im sad about this, even though the lineup was abit lame (imo) this year, it was the best festival about in terms of atmosphere and organisation. Really hope its back next year
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by jimmydvn
Why does no-one mention Hard Rock Calling around here? That's got to be one of the best line-ups this year, with isle of wight. But yeah, I feel both download and sonisphere were a let down considering who's touring the uk this year.

Who's playing there this year? Went a couple of years ago, it's got a nice atmosphere.
Up The Boro!
Quote by Fisheth24
Have you guys seen the Soni line-up? There's a reason it's been cancelled...

Yeah, the only people at Sonisphere 2012 that would be worth seeing are Mastodon and Andrew WK.

Download sucks too, but that isn't news.
The line up was frankly disappointing.

I'm going to the Spanish Sonisphere anyway, so it doesn't affect me.
I have no sig
Quote by Oddsbodkins
Who's playing there this year? Went a couple of years ago, it's got a nice atmosphere.

Springsteen , Soundgarden, Iggy, John Fogerty, Paul Simon, more will be announced. Pretty cool.
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
Where is Hard Rock Calling? Sounds good! Might have to go next year
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Come to Rock Werchter in Belgium.

The Cure, Pearl Jam, Incubus, Chili Peppers, Mastodon, Jack White, Kasabian, Mumford and Sons, Blink 182, Dropkick Murphy's, Garbage .. to name a few.
Blue Jays, Seahawks, Raptors, Habs, Peterborough United FC, Gold Coast Suns.
Quote by institutions
Yeah, the only people at Sonisphere 2012 that would be worth seeing are Mastodon and Andrew WK.

Download sucks too, but that isn't news.
Cough*Katatonia*Cough

But the lineup is monumentally poor, not that Download is significantly better.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by stef123
Where is Hard Rock Calling? Sounds good! Might have to go next year

Hyde Park