Hey guys. So, I wanna buy an amp for practising/some bedroom usage. I've been leaning toward a 6505+ 112 for a while now, but the HT-40 caught my attention recently. My main concern with the 6505 is that, while I know I'll get the metal tones I want, I'm not sure if the clean channel will be worthy, and I've heard bad stuff about the stock Sheffield speaker. On the other hand, the HT-40 seems to be more versatile and has better cleans, but not enough gain and a less aggressive voicing (disclaimer: these are conclusions I've reached by listening to videos in YouTube, since I don't have any way to actually try these amps).

I want to play mostly Melodeath (Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquillity and the like) plus some Thrash and some shreddy stuff. To this end, I think I could either...
  • Go with the 6505+, put a better speaker and tubes later on, or
  • Go with the HT-40 and get an OD to squeeze more juice out of it.

Both options should cost me nearly the same amount of cash. For now I'm limiting myself to these two amps because of a lack of amp variety in my country's market, but maybe I could import something else if it's really worth it, so don't be afraid to suggest something else if you think it will fit my needs. Let me remind you again: I have no way to try these amps, unfortunately, since the store imports them on demand.
Guitars: ESP LTD EX401-DX, Epi Explorer 1984, Schecter C-1 FR-S Platinum
Effects: a bunch
Amps: Crate Vintage Club 5310, Peave 6505+ 112
I haven't played the 6505 before so i can't really say anything about them, but i own the blackstar HT-50 halfstack and its amazingly versatile. I've played nearly all the different blackstar amp choices and they all can cover a lot of ground with loads of different tones. I think you could get the tone your looking for by putting a pedal in front to push it a bit more without a problem, and i really like the cleans from blackstar, they have a lot of body to them but its pretty adjustable to fit your needs.
For those groups, a 6505 would be the way to go. A better speaker helps, but don't think the amp is just unbearable without it. New tubes will help, though the clean channel will never be much to talk about. I liked the ht series cleans, they had a very chimey sound. If cleans mean that much to you, maybe try the ht, but even with the improvement in cleans, you are definitely settling, they aren't so good that they would be my selling point on the amp. You have to decide, do you want to nail one tone and the other be meh, or do you want to go so so on both.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
You have to decide, do you want to nail one tone and the other be meh, or do you want to go so so on both.

Hmmm. I could always keep my Vintage Club for cleans and A/B/Y them. The only (huge) problem is mobility, since that amp weights a lot and moving two amps won't be any better. Still, if an OD is not enough to make the Blackstar perform closer to the Peavey, then I'd rather get the 6505+.
Guitars: ESP LTD EX401-DX, Epi Explorer 1984, Schecter C-1 FR-S Platinum
Effects: a bunch
Amps: Crate Vintage Club 5310, Peave 6505+ 112
Definitely the 6505 for what you play.

See if you can get a used 212 combo though. Much better tone.

The cleans really aren't that bad. It's all about how you EQ/ the levels on your guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've done exactly what you're describing to my 6505+ combo: better tubes, better speaker, Tubescreamer, yadda.

I agree with dementiacaptain, the stock Sheffield speaker is not even close to as bad as a lot of people would have you believe. It has a nice low-mid voicing that really gives you that brutal chug sound for melodeath and a lot of other genres. That said, I bought an Eminence Governor and it sounds better. (Side story -- I was thinking about selling the Gov because it seemed to have too much upper mids/high end - then I recently lowered my bridge pickup....cured all the high end fizz and it's now terrifyingly brutal.) A speaker swap can make a big difference, but not nessessarily better. Research your speakers before committing to one.

The tubes, like the speaker, are not as bad as people make them out to be. I upgraded mine to JJs, and the amp sounds darker/smoother. I run a 12AT7 JJ in the V1 position and it cleaned up some of the upper end "fizz." It also made the "crunch" button on the clean channel sound more like classic rock crunch instead of a slightly tamer lead channel. The lead channel is still, as I said, terrifying. I doubt the HT-40 can even compare...

However, the Blackstar amps seem to have a nicer clean channel. But if you want all out aggression, I'd go with a 6505. Plus, I never play with my clean channel truly clean; I always have a reverb/modulation and/or delay on -- which brings a lot of sparkle to it. Otherwise, it's just kind of a sterile, basic clean. Not terrible by any means. It only sounds terrible if you suck at playing dynamics...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 28, 2012,
the ht40 would most likely be the more versatile of the two. i've played both and both are gain monsters. however, i felt that to really get the massive brutal tone out of the 6505, cranking it is always an advantage. the ht40 has some sort of SS components in it (i don't kno tech stuff nor do i want to start that all too common blackstar feud...) but its really does have a shit load of gain on tap.

also, the blackstar has the nice, chimey cleans as well as the ISF which lets you go from british voicing (think JCM800) to american voicing (think mesa duel rec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Xig5d3Mao
6505+ 112 is good for metal, but it still doesn't sound like its bigger brothers. Overall its not a bad amp, a lot of people talk shit about it. Changing the tubes and speaker does make a difference, though the difference is not as extreme as people say I definitely wouldn't want to go back to it being stock. I have an eminence governor in mine, also the stock tube are shit.

With an od, new tubes, and a new speaker it sounds pretty good. Sounds even better through my friends marshall 4x12.

Also for some reason the amp sounds better when the fx loop circuit is completed. Not just mine but theres a few people on youtube that have noticed it too. Its actually a pretty big difference.

clean channel is mehhh I keep the gain all the way down on that channel, and use a small amount of chorus if i need to. Not terrible just not that great.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by whyze250f

Also for some reason the amp sounds better when the fx loop circuit is completed. Not just mine but theres a few people on youtube that have noticed it too. Its actually a pretty big difference.

Haha, I actually find that mine sounds quite a bit better without the FX loop completed. It has a richer, ballsier tone. This is something I've been trying to change all along, to no avail. The problem is I need the FX loop for my reverb and delay to sound good.

It's not such a difference that I don't use it with the effects loop, but when I unplug it and just use the amp with a TS up front it goes from awesome to outstanding.

Maybe it's just different preferences in tone...but I'd probably buy the head version it sounds more like mine with the FX loop off.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood