Hello all, it's been awhile since I've posted here!

Anyway, my current rig is a Schecter C-1 Artist II and a Peavey Bandit 112 80W solid state amp. I've been looking at a Peavey Valveking 2x12 due to space and they seem to run pretty cheap $300-$350, which is my budget.

I play post-hardcore music, so I need gain, but not tons of gain. My current amp, the pre-gain sits at like 12:30, which is decent. I have a tendency to dial it back when I turn up the amp.

My problem with my current amp is that at practices, I have to turn up the volume to about 3:00, which is incredibly loud. I know the amp can handle those loud volumes, but at those volumes it can feedback in some pretty nasty ways, and the only solution I've figured out to work in getting rid of that feedback is turning down the volume on my guitar and turning it back up. I have to stand a minimum of 5 feet away from the amp to avoid this from happening all the time. Perhaps this is pretty normal, regardless, what's wrong with having moar power, anyway?!

But, my main issue right now, is all the Valvekings on my craigslist have disappeared! I would like to know any possible substitutions for this amp, within the 2x12 size. I did look at Marshal ValveState amps, but I think I want the full valve circuitry and not just the pre-amp.

So UG, point me in the right direction! I'm looking to spend $300-$350 USED on an amp, maybe $400 MAX but that's really pushing it. I have a part time job, but between that, gas, being in high school, prom and other such monetary obligations, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend.

Thanks guys!
Used Peavey Ultra.

Edit: And stand further away from the amp.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I just got rid of my vk 212 and I would not recommend them to anybody. And if gain is what you are after it's gain was barely usable, learn from my mistake don't get a valve king. A used 5150 or 6505 112 can be found used for really cheap
Quote by Dr.Pondscum
I just got rid of my vk 212 and I would not recommend them to anybody. And if gain is what you are after it's gain was barely usable, learn from my mistake don't get a valve king. A used 5150 or 6505 112 can be found used for really cheap

Yeah, I was just about to post "inb4 6505". But I guess that would have been spam.

I've played them both, and never been satisfied with the tone I got from the 6505.

The valveking, though, with a boost in front, sounds quite okay. Add a new speaker (WGS V30 or Eminence Governor?) and it's a pretty nice amp. You might say it's a waste of money, bet remember that when you sell the amp, you can put the stock speaker back in.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I stand about 10 feet from the amp with that problem, and there still is a bit of the sustain kind of feedback, but that I do expect completely.

Peavey Ultra, I'll look into that.

My original want was a used 6505 or 5150 combo, but I haven't found one on my craigslist in ages. The 6505 combos would go for around $450-$500. I think I may just have to look further than craigslist for one of these.

What about changing the tubes in a Valveking to some tubes that were a little hotter? Would that change anything?
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by AtaBorMan
Yeah, I was just about to post "inb4 6505". But I guess that would have been spam.

I've played them both, and never been satisfied with the tone I got from the 6505.

The valveking, though, with a boost in front, sounds quite okay. Add a new speaker (WGS V30 or Eminence Governor?) and it's a pretty nice amp. You might say it's a waste of money, bet remember that when you sell the amp, you can put the stock speaker back in.

I never got to changing the speakers and tubes but heard that could do a bit to improve the harshness of overall tone. Though two things I did to make the amp sound better wet 1. Use input two, with a dummy in number one. 2. Use the effects loop, or just run a short cable 3. Never use the add gain button. And then those are the reasons I sold it
Quote by Dr.Pondscum
I never got to changing the speakers and tubes but heard that could do a bit to improve the harshness of overall tone. Though two things I did to make the amp sound better wet 1. Use input two, with a dummy in number one. 2. Use the effects loop, or just run a short cable 3. Never use the add gain button. And then those are the reasons I sold it

If you're a bit handy with amps, you can mod them. I did that on a friend's VK. He loved it. Wrote a guide in the VK thread on it. But yeah, that was to make it more Rock'n'Roll and stuff.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Hey that thread made it too where my vk was almost bearable( I didn't do any of the inside the amp stuff though) so thanks for that!
Quote by Dr.Pondscum
Hey that thread made it too where my vk was almost bearable( I didn't do any of the inside the amp stuff though) so thanks for that!

Don't thank me, I've not posted there until about 3 months ago. But those guys are great.

You get a huge difference in sound by just changing two resistors, for example. Which is great. I think the material cost me about $5.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Yea I heard they do all sorts of stuff to em but I sold it and got one of those tube screamer TSa heads and cab and it kicks some ass
Hate to double post, but what about the Classic 50/410? The EL84 tubes are British voiced and the 10 inch speakers probably don't quite have the lows of 12 inch speakers, I would think?

Probably a step in the wrong direction?

What about the Supreme XL or XXL?
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Mar 28, 2012,
I think the Ultra is the best req out of the bunch. Valvekings are OK if you want to upgrade it. 5150/6505 are just seriously heavy in every way. I personally would not get a Classic 50 410 - I think that is a step in the wrong direction. Never played a Supreme but if it is anything like the XXL I'd pass. I know you don't want to hear this but try out a Vypyr 60 with no effects on the 'red' mode. play with each amp channel for 3 minutes.
What's the problem with turning down the volume knob on your guitar when not playing? That's how it was always done in the past. It's like a reflex action for me now. I want feedback when I am holding a note so I will always get feedback if I don't wind down the volume between songs. I don't get what the big deal is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It would also just be nice to have a tube amp because it would sound considerably better than my current amp.

I made a WTB ad for a 5150/6505. I also included something about a 5150 head, because I know those can go for around $300. If I got a 5150 head and a 2x12 cab I'd be just as set, I think.