Page 1 of 2
So I've been thinking about the latest sentences and imprisonments over what people have been saying on social media like twitter and facebook. I don't particularly like the idea of having what we say being monitored by police agencies, and the possiblity of imprisonment over things like the drunk guy who posted "racially offensive comments" over Muamba's collapse. who got nearly 60 days in prison.

What do you think about police agencies monitoring social networks for comments, and then acting on them? Is it ok? Is posting a racist comment on facebook like saying it in public? What kind of punishment should - if any - be handed out?

Anyways... share your thoughts. The below link from Best british broadcasting corporation has a few examples of people being punished for what they've said on various internet sites:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17530450
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think it's interesting that they actually got the guy to trial, and sentenced that fast.
Basically, I think the police should stop nosing in on my plots to bomb the London Olympics.
Not a fan of the idea. Obviously some people say some shitty things, but it's the same idea as being fined orarrested for saying a racist (or in some way offensive) joke to your friend IRL.

Pretty scary.

If people are idiots enough to post their illegal shit on a public website, why not knab 'em?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
What I can't understand is how they can not realise that "Robin Hood Airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit... otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!" is not a joke.

Also, it's only people from huge social networking sites that get arrested for petty stuff; worse things are posted on many internet message boards all the time and nobody gets anything for it.
Yes, if the police are monitoring my social media then they are effectively monitoring my thoughts about them monitoring my thoughts on their monitoring my social media.
I disagree with police monitoring social media activity, but I'm all for employers doing the same.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Sneaky bastards!
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I think it's ok. Some people who make pedo comments here deserve to be in jail.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I think it's ok. Some people who make pedo comments here deserve to be in jail.

Not sure if serious... and self-incriminating...
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Not sure if serious... and self-incriminating...

Self-incriminating? 1. I said some pedos here, not all, needed to be in jail. 2. When did I make pedo comments?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
People willingly put shit on public forums. No one's forcing them to divulge private, potentially illegal, information.
Liam Stacey is a wanker and deserved jail for his comments, in my opinion.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
Liam Stacey is a wanker and deserved jail for his comments, in my opinion.

That's racism against white people AND wankers. Double jail for you, Juliet lover.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Self-incriminating? 1. I said some pedos here, not all, needed to be in jail. 2. When did I make pedo comments?

Quote by Neo Evil11
If it's a girl scout I would choose for option 1.

that.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
that.

And there I was; thinking no one reads my posts.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I think people aren't the same as they are IRL while online. Police might not be able to read between the lines and see that people are joking or just not being that serious while posting. I mean, look at all the shit people post here. Most of it can be seem as jail-able and we're not being serious. It's seems so uneccessary making a police errand out of everything.
Quote by Kensai
I think people aren't the same as they are IRL while online. Police might not be able to read between the lines and see that people are joking or just not being that serious while posting. I mean, look at all the shit people post here. Most of it can be seem as jail-able and we're not being serious. It's seems so uneccessary making a police errand out of everything.

I dunno, there's a difference between making an obviously ironic offensive joke and bombarding someone you've never met with racist abuse.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
I dunno, there's a difference between making an obviously ironic offensive joke and bombarding someone you've never met with racist abuse.

Unless the racism is a joke.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by I.O.T.M

To the people who are in on it, yes, but not everyone.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Can I ask how many of these arrests happened in the US?

None... these people got a trial before going to jail
Well you have 3 simple solutions.
1. Don't post anything illegal, racist, etc. move on in your life.

2. If you post illegal stuff on a public website that anybody can see, then you have nobody but your self to blame.

3. If it really bothers you that much you could just simply shut your account down.
Quote by Kensai
So I've been thinking about the latest sentences and imprisonments over what people have been saying on social media like twitter and facebook. I don't particularly like the idea of having what we say being monitored by police agencies, and the possiblity of imprisonment over things like the drunk guy who posted "racially offensive comments" over Muamba's collapse. who got nearly 60 days in prison.

What do you think about police agencies monitoring social networks for comments, and then acting on them? Is it ok? Is posting a racist comment on facebook like saying it in public? What kind of punishment should - if any - be handed out?

Anyways... share your thoughts. The below link from Best british broadcasting corporation has a few examples of people being punished for what they've said on various internet sites:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17530450

well it would explain why there is more crime in the streets these days

being thrown in jail for a racist comment let alone on the internet (where people can choose to ignore it and forget it) is ****ing rediculous

whats odd is the ammount of people i see on facebook posting "can anybody get some nugs" ect. yet they are locking up people over silly insults and trolling

well done cops

also the internet will turn to shit within our life times

id put money on it
Quote by orangepi

3. If it really bothers you that much you could just simply shut your account down.

should you really have to?

what about the invasion of privacy?

this isnt only happening on social media sites

emails ect. are scanned aswell

you might have missed the point
As long as the personal integrity and your freedom of speech is diminished and limited I'm all for it really.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by sashki
Can you get 60 days in prison for making a racist remark out in the street?

Don;t you just get a fine?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Don;t you just get a fine?

I don't know, but if that's the case, why should a racist comment on twitter earn you prison time? Sure, it's a dick thing to do, but the punishment is way too harsh and does nothing to solve the problem.
Well I did miss the point about the Emails, I guess some people would have a reason to complain. I also thought they have been doin it since xanga, and even before that.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Remember that little thing called freedom of speech?

Nah, me neither.

That was relevant in the 60's. Get with the times bro
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by CoreysMonster
Remember that little thing called freedom of speech?

Nah, me neither.

what are you, a communist?
I think certain things should be monitored, IE threats. Being insane isn't a crime, nor is posting useless information on Facebook

Quote by AtaBorMan
Sneaky bastards!

Que?
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
That was relevant in the 60's. Get with the times bro

Page 1 of 2