currently i've got a set of Helix strings on my acoustic (i think they are 12-52 or something along those lines)

my complaints:

they are really starting to bother my fingers after playing for an hour or two
they just don't sound very bright
too much tension

so basically i'm looking for a brighter, easier on the fingers, lighter gauge string (possibly something along the lines of 11-48 or 50?)
Are they phosphor bronze or 80/20? 80/20s sound brighter, and have less tension than phosphor bronze strings
^i don't remember which set they were exactly, i bought em a while ago.

i've only recently been picking up my acoustic more
well tension is mainly string gauge. i'd go with 11s but if you keep playin on the 12s you will get used to it. I really like the martin strings i have on mine.
Don"t Be A Bitch.
Whichever gauge you buy next, make sure it's 80/20s. They feel almost a gauge lighter than phosphor bronze, and they're brighter, too. There are tension charts available showing the tension of different string material. Obviously, i lighter gauge will help too, but you will sacrifice tone. Are you sure the action on you guitar is okay? A lower action will mean less pressing on the strings.
the action is fairly high but as far as i know, the only way to adjust the action on it would be to sand down the bridge piece/saddle thing (i believe its just plastic resting in a slot)
Quote by andrerist
the action is fairly high but as far as i know, the only way to adjust the action on it would be to sand down the bridge piece/saddle thing (i believe its just plastic resting in a slot)

try elixers coated strings.

and dont sand the saddle unless you know how, and if you need it.

if you take off too much you'll pick up fret buzz along the board.

and the lighter gauge will make the action seem lower already.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by andrerist

What guitar is it? Find out what gauge it shipped with from the manufacturer. If I had to guess, it would have come stock with 10's or 11's. Your excessive neck bow is probably due to the fact you went up to 12's. Go back to whatever it used stock - it should relieve the neck bow and it will be easier on the fingers.
Quote by 667
What guitar is it? Find out what gauge it shipped with from the manufacturer. If I had to guess, it would have come stock with 10's or 11's. Your excessive neck bow is probably due to the fact you went up to 12's. Go back to whatever it used stock - it should relieve the neck bow and it will be easier on the fingers.

its just an old (from the 80's) yamaha acoustic. i restrung it myself several months ago, i just don't remember what gauge strings i used.
I put Martin silk/steel 11s on my wife's guitar, she is just starting out. They were cheap sound good, and super soft on the fingers. The guy at the store said they would not last, but they seem to still be pretty decent after quite a bit of playing. Elixers or Cleartones (coated 12s) are my favorite, and what I use on my other acoustics.
Epiphone - Hummingbird
Fender/Squire - Telecaster (Standard)
Dean - Acoustic Flying V
Wasburn - HB30
Fender - Telecousic
Peavey -VYPYR15