Alright so I've got an RG120 just sitting around that I never play anymore due to my Prestige and other RG. It was my first guitar and, being as it's still a perfectly usable instrument, I want to make it a project guitar. I pretty much just want to strip the thick-as-hell candy red paint off of it and oil it to make it a natural wood finish, throw in some new knobs and electronics, and generally go around having some fun with it. Anyone know how to strip the paint off of a guitar and leave just the bare wood so that it is an even surface? Also, how do you go about finishing the body wood that you are left with a treated but still natural wood finish that isn't shiny but is more of a matte finish? This is the first time I've ever done something like this so I'll take my chances since it's an old beater of a guitar. Just want a fun project over the summer and during breaks from school to keep myself occupied! Thanks guys!

This is an example of the finish I'm thinking about. The good sir in the video actually has an RG120 himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RImJa0PJLEY
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
you'll need some all purpose paint & Varnish remover. follow instructions on the tin. generally apply a medium to thick coat and leave for 12-24hours (maybe less) carefully scrape off the melted finish.
give the body a good sanding. making sure you have got all the finish off that you may have missed or that has re-dried.. if thats possible.

ive only really used this stuff removing paint from doors
as for the oil. finish.. cant help you there. i havent used oil to finish a guitar yet.

there are how to's here
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726
Last edited by Dave8706 at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Dave8706
you'll need some all purpose paint & Varnish remover. follow instructions on the tin. generally apply a medium to thick coat and leave for 12-24hours (maybe less) carefully scrape off the melted finish.
give the body a good sanding. making sure you have got all the finish off that you may have missed or that has re-dried.. if thats possible.

ive only really used this stuff removing paint from doors
as for the oil. finish.. cant help you there. i havent used oil to finish a guitar yet.

there are how to's here
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

thank you very much! Also, my laptop had a runin with a bottle of water so I wasn't around to get back to this thread as quick as I had hoped My ultimate goal is to remove the paint from the body and headstock and, if not oil finish them both, apply a spalted maple veneer to the top and go about sanding around it to make it sit flush and hit it with a nice oil varnish.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube