I notice certain days I plug the guitar in ( I have a POD HD by the way) and the tone sounds awesome. The tone is full and thick sounding. Other days I plug in and everything sounds thin to me kind of meh. I know that this is not the equipment.

This may sound a bit out there. I am curious to see if anyone can answer this with confidence. I trying to determine if this is psychological or a physical hearing related problem. Anyone?
I don't think a guitar forum is going to be able to diagnose hearing or psychological problems.

how have you determined that it isn't equipment or something equipment related (like power supply?)
Are you using a tube amp? Those tend to be kinda finicky sometimes.
changes in hearing occur day to day. chemical composition of the brain, as well as certain things as minute as blood sugar/ increased salt intake can affect such things.
rokket2005 this is the type of answer I am looking for. Do you know resources of this type of info?
It does that to me too. Sometimes my Spider sounds nice, sometimes it doesn't. It's about how you feel at that moment. When I feel down, None of my guitars sounds good. When I'm happy, my spider can be the awesoest thing in the world! It's just how you feel that day, really.
Happens to me all the time.
When I would play out of my vypyr I would think I got a nice sound out of it then I would save it for later.
The next time I play it doesnt sound as good so I have to change it around a bit before it sounds good again.

I used to think it was because I had a digital modeling amp but the same thing happens with my 5150.
I don't have any kind of explanation as to why it happens, but it happens to me too. I'll EQ my Mesa to the perfect tone one day, and three days later, I'll say to myself, "What on earth was I thinking?" and re-EQ for the next hour.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Howdy, I actually have a degree in psychology and my thesis was on how music affects the brain! Unfortunately, I don't have much information from that to offer, but what I can tell you is that mood and music have a two-way relationship in that they both have an impact on each other (if you are happy and listen to happy music you'll rate the happy music as happier). I'd imagine you're just being extra picky on the days that it doesn't sound good.

I think the least likely explanation is physical changes in your ear, but if you're worried and willing to pay/are covered you could get regular hearing tests. I get one every 5 years and this year I showed frequency signs of damage from exposure to loud noises, so I've started wearing ear plugs when I jam with drums (just the cheap ones, they told me they're 70% as good as the super expensive ones).

Of course it's also possible that your amp is messed up, but I'd bet that you're a tone monkey like myself and many others, and you're always looking to improve your tone. I used to think And Justice For All had the perfect guitar sound (the guitars, not the mix), then Reign in Blood had the perfect guitar sound, then one day Testament had the best sound, then Exodus, and so on. Eventually I realized that tone is an incredibly subjective thing, and it has to suit the music it's being used to create (Reign in Blood needs the low reverb for the aggressive "in your face" sound). One good thing that came from this experience is that I now spend more time playing and less time farting around with my EQ and stuff. As long as I'm not recording or playing live it doesn't have to be perfect.
Quote by Spud Spudly
LOL, a couple of Who concerts definitely changed my hearing.

i know you are just making a passive humerus statement, but it really isn't a laughing matter.

i am 22 and have already started to have a mild tinnitus. its not reversible. i have been to a ton of shows, now i bring ear plugs and pop them in at shows, still have fun seeing the band and everything else. and you can get (as i have) flat frequency response plugs for a couple dollars more.

when i drum or play with a drummer i just use the shotgun over ear headphones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It actually scared me pretty good when they told me that the frequency patterns I showed resembled hearing damage from loud noises. A family member is mostly deaf and it's not something I want to go through, and it's not good that at 24 I was already showing signs. I used to buy into the "you're at a metal concert to get your ass kicked suck it up" mentality but I'd rather not be deaf at age 40.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread towards hearing damage, but it is something musicians should take seriously. Beethoven wrote a letter very similar to a suicide note to his brothers when he lost his hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMU-VckZY0A
Quote by n1ckn1ce
It does that to me too. Sometimes my Spider sounds nice, sometimes it doesn't. It's about how you feel at that moment. When I feel down, None of my guitars sounds good. When I'm happy, my spider can be the awesoest thing in the world! It's just how you feel that day, really.

As previously stated "I don't think a guitar forum is going to be able to diagnose hearing or psychological problems"

Kidding!!....sort of
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by RLD Guitar
I notice certain days I plug the guitar in ( I have a POD HD by the way) and the tone sounds awesome. The tone is full and thick sounding. Other days I plug in and everything sounds thin to me kind of meh. I know that this is not the equipment.

This may sound a bit out there. I am curious to see if anyone can answer this with confidence. I trying to determine if this is psychological or a physical hearing related problem. Anyone?

I personally think its the weather affecting the speaker cones or something thats responsible for awesome tone one day and flatness on others

Its probably just psychological
that kind of thing happens to me all the time. if i play single coils one day and humbuckers the next, the hums sound way too warm. the other way round, singles sound way too bright. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
since no one mentioned this i'll add that it can come down to your speaker. remember that speaker cones are essentially paper and are effected by things like humidity. if the cone absorbs more water out of the air it can change the sound of the speaker. really dry well same thing. voltage to your tubes can change as well depending on your electricty situation. lots of little things that are often out of your control can change the sound.