okay so I am playing my PRS SE Custom 24 into my Blues Junior, miced with an i5, into a line 6 ux1. and the recordings just sound terrible. my first guess as to whats causing this would be (you guessed it) the preamp in the UX1. I am fairly new to recording and I am wondering what the best route to go under $300 would be to improve my tone. Should I buy a new interface, run a preamp from the mic into the line input on the UX1, or is there something else I'm doing wrong? any help is appreciated
There's a better chance it's you than the pres. They're probably a bit on the noisy side but they're not going to color the tone too dramatically. I can get the same type of tone out of my firestudio as I can out of a UX1. I'd recommend working on your technique. Get a pair of headphones and tweak the amp as you hear it through the mic and interface. It doesn't matter how it sounds in the room, just how to mic hears it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
There's a better chance it's you than the pres. They're probably a bit on the noisy side but they're not going to color the tone too dramatically. I can get the same type of tone out of my firestudio as I can out of a UX1. I'd recommend working on your technique. Get a pair of headphones and tweak the amp as you hear it through the mic and interface. It doesn't matter how it sounds in the room, just how to mic hears it.

What would you recommend? I honestly dont know how else to do this, since I have never really recorded before. I always listen through a pair of headphones. should I just try messing with EQ and such?
yeah, I'd recommend playing with the EQ and the gain (usually lowering it) and of course moving the mic around.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Exactly. Mic preamps don't make a guitar sound 'terrible'.

Much more likely it's user error. How are you mic'ing the Jr?
I had this exact same problem when i first started. Your recorded guitar tone will never ever sound like what you hear in the room. The room and your ears will change the sound a ton and your mic is only picking up a small section of the speaker.

What you do need is to figure out is how the guitar is supposed to sound in the mix. If you listen to a guitar track solo'd from a mix you will realize it sounds really weird.

I know you arent recording metal but Ola Englund really explains a simple guitar mic'ing process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLhv0rId5k&feature=player_embedded
Quote by Chaosinborn
I had this exact same problem when i first started. Your recorded guitar tone will never ever sound like what you hear in the room. The room and your ears will change the sound a ton and your mic is only picking up a small section of the speaker.

What you do need is to figure out is how the guitar is supposed to sound in the mix. If you listen to a guitar track solo'd from a mix you will realize it sounds really weird.

I know you arent recording metal but Ola Englund really explains a simple guitar mic'ing process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLhv0rId5k&feature=player_embedded

this really helped alot, thanks!