First finished (composition wise) track for a Metalcore project I'm working on, guess it's in the vein of stuff like Counterparts and Mis Sigs, but simpler, I could never hold a candle to those guys, so I hope it's different enough to not instantly sound like a shit Mis Sigs.

I'm currently trying to work out how to do vocals... considering I have no vocal talent what-so-ever. The whole thing was recorded, programmed, mix and mastered by yours truly, so the mix isn't pristine... but I kinda like the rough sound it gives.

I'd prefer constructive criticism, just saying it's shit doesn't help... especially since I already have my suspicions... anyway, enjoy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/DemoAltMix.mp3

More bass version: http://www.facebook.com/AbsentSkies
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 4, 2012,
Sounds good, tight as ****. Like the half time bit at 1:40 especially. The buildup after is cool too. Needs something more bassy to kick in around 2:10. (maybe a synth).
Break down after is also cool.
For vox maybe post a looking for vocalist thread on the forum? Or maybe try joinmyband.co.uk if it's still going.
You could always try learning yourself too Maybe learn with an opera singer? And sound like KsE? Otherwise autotune the shit outta your self

Please comment:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522646
Quote by l3xbi
Sounds good, tight as ****. Like the half time bit at 1:40 especially. The buildup after is cool too. Needs something more bassy to kick in around 2:10. (maybe a synth).
Break down after is also cool.
For vox maybe post a looking for vocalist thread on the forum? Or maybe try joinmyband.co.uk if it's still going.
You could always try learning yourself too Maybe learn with an opera singer? And sound like KsE? Otherwise autotune the shit outta your self

Please comment:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522646

Cheers man, I've left a comment on your track. I actually remember listening to it a few weeks back but didn't leave a post

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Thanks for the crit, it was really useful, I appreciate it! I listened to your track, almost thought I was going to have to update my quicktime for a minute but didn't. I liked it, I don't really listen to much metal-core so I don't know too much about it but this sounded pretty good. I actually thought the production was really good, some of the best I've heard in this forum. I just couldn't hear any bass, but judging by your sig maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

The only criticism I can think of is that the rhythm guitars were kind of boring when they weren't following the drums through the breakdowns, but the leads were really good all through-out. I'd like to hear it with vocals, good job.
tricky bastard you made me download your song lol. Sweet track though, reminds me of Underoaths older stuff, well done. Everything was very tight, couldn't notice any bum notes, good job technicaly. The chord changes were great, you really know how to spice things up and give a song texture. Not many guitarists are good at that. The chorus was sweet. There just isin't much to dislike. The final breakdown maybe could of used a guitar overdub to give it a little something more, but other than that I really enjoyed it, not normaly the type of music I would listen to but you did a good job with it.

If your serious about singing I would reccommend getting singing lessons. Pretty much everybody can sing, it just takes practice and learning how to breathe properly, stuff like that. I used to be awful but now Im not to bad, still not great but im improving.

C4C when you have a moment? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530214
I liked this a lot... But I felt like it was missing a lot of lower tonality... I couldn't hear any if you had any in there... It was straight like treble for me. I like that and all, but it takes away a lot if you don't have enough or any at all. The song starts out a little weak for me... But it eventually strengthens up into this mighty tornado. When it switches over to chug chug chug on the chord progression, you used it in the perfect place. Without out vocals the next part is kinda repetitive. I'm sure it's good with vocals, but without them it's lost. Then theres the melodic part I like a lot again. I guess it's the chorus. then you make it into a breakdown+chorus in one. Instant love. And the outro tied it all together in a nice little bow. I dug it.

Add vocals... This song is lost without it. I think with vocals it would be fantastic. Once you figure out how to do it, BAM.

I would definitely download this track after the addition of vocals. Without them though... It's a lost cause a little bit... 6.5/10 due to the repetition with vocals... Add the vocals in... We'll probably hit 8.5 or so Still a good job. My metal opinion is very strict... If you check out my metal songs you'd see the kinda stuff I prefer mostly... Sorry for being kinda rough.

Crit4crit?? https://www.facebook.com/anchortheworld/app_178091127385
Thanks guys and about the bass, it was recorded with a very cheap bass and getting the level just right is requiring a lot of tweaking, the mix before was too bass heavy!

I will get to the C4C's tomorrow morning.

And on chrome you don't need to download the song to view it

Quote by ArchDukeOfTops
Sounded great. Cool song, tight, good production.

What are you recording with (drums/guitars)?

The Guitars are a mix of free amp sims and redwirez cabs and the drums are the SD2 Metal Foundry kit.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 2, 2012,
ChemicalFire this stuff sounds pretty good ! (Y)
Don't really have much to add cause it's very well done. Mixing wise and writing wise. The instruments blend well and it's very entertaining. There's just a couple of riffs that are a bit generic to my taste but they are very short. I think it's the ones before the "chorus"? But overall I think it's very good. Can't wait to hear it with vocals ! What have you got in mind for it? Clean or growling?

Anyways good stuff, keep it up ! (Y)

Let me know what you think of my project https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1526635 : D
Cheers for the crit.

Guitars sound great, like has been said, the bass needs to be jacked up a notch, the guitar work is great, reminded me a little of early Thrice stuff.
I love Thrice, so that's good.

Nice work.
It's a cool song for sure, I agree with the others that the bass needs to be boosted a bit. Other then that it's sounding good!
Will get to the C4C's I owe in a bit, but for now if you wanna hear a version with more bass there's gonna be one on my facebook/soundcloud soon. When Soundcloud decides it wants to work that is.

Quote by DisarmGoliath