Well I'm only 17 and I've been playing for about a year now, I'm okay buy not amazing, but my teacher told me to try and join a band for experience but I don't know if I should so what do you guys think ?
You better stay inside and play it safe. Cut off all communication with the outside world.
Never.

jk. Before you actually join one, consider jamming with some other guys/girls first. See how that goes, and then decide if you're ready to do it.
Do you need friends? Do you need to get laid? Do you have a lot of free time? Then sure.
Yes, definitely.

For the longest time I've been a bedroom musician, composing my own music and whatnot. But last year a couple friends and I formed a prog rock/metal band, and it's a completely different experience. Working with other musicians has helped me to grow as a guitarist/bassist, and it's taught me to approach music from different angles.

So, yeah -- go for it.
If you have a band to join do it. I'd love to be in a band right now but there aren't any people for me to jam with. but definitely go for it.
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
Quote by daytripper75
Never.

jk. Before you actually join one, consider jamming with some other guys/girls first. See how that goes, and then decide if you're ready to do it.

This.
Quote by Jon777
Yes, definitely.

For the longest time I've been a bedroom musician, composing my own music and whatnot. But last year a couple friends and I formed a prog rock/metal band, and it's a completely different experience. Working with other musicians has helped me to grow as a guitarist/bassist, and it's taught me to approach music from different angles.

So, yeah -- go for it.

this

being in a band is possibly the best thing you could ever do as a musician
Quote by Myaccount876
Fixed that for you.

Yeah you're definitely right with that.

No sarcasm either.

Also OT: If your teacher told you to shove a stick of dynamite up your ass, would you do that? Not everything your teacher says is right.
However it could be in this situation so why not.
**** being in a band be a studio musician. Better chance of making money from this as I have been told by both stage and studio musicians
Quote by Beatles94
Well I'm only 17 and I've been playing for about a year now, I'm okay buy not amazing, but my teacher told me to try and join a band for experience but I don't know if I should so what do you guys think ?

Yes, playing with others widens your experience you won't get otherwise.
I have to add one thing: When you join this band, LEARN YOUR SHIT. Seriously bro, people will like you a lot more if you really have your ducks in a row. Don't make people wait on you.
Quote by Beatles94

You learn a few things from being in a band.

-If there are better musicians in it, your own skills will increase greatly and rapidly.
-You learn the social dynamics of a band.
-You learn how to jam.
-You learn how to play in a mix and be heard.
-Network with other musicians.

There's really no reason not to. You don't have to be technically amazing to play in a band (well, most bands). You just need to be creative.

Some other advice:

-Learn the songs on your own time. Band practice is not the time to be learning material it wastes all their time. Writing material at practice is fine. Practice it at home tho.
-Show up on time consistently. If you are gonna be late, let them know.
-To keep things simple, don't get with any of the other dudes girlfriends or recent exes.
-Don't burn bridges with the members if/when you leave.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Mar 29, 2012,
I first joined a band when I was 15 and had been playing for about 4 months. Was just a group of friends who jammed and learnt a few songs. We played a few gigs for the local youth centre as way of saying thanks for giving us practice space for free.

It really helped me develop, I'd be nowhere near as good today if I hadn't been in that band. Saying that I am self taught so playing with another, much better, guitarist was good as he taught me a lot of techniques and showed me where I could improve.
Yes. Even if you aren't good you'll learn tonnes.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Just so you know, joining a band isn't something you can just go out and do easily. You have to actually find a band that needs a guitarist and one that plays a style of music you can play, and probably one with kids around your age to avoid wierdness.