going to look at a mim strat tomorrow...never been much of a fender guy but this guy wants to trade for my prs custom 22 se, and i'd get more use out of a hss strat than a hh prs

anyone care to share some insight on them? any huge drawbacks from the american made ones?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I have a MiM and borrowed my friend's deluxe MiA when he was away. The MIA was, obviously, much nicer in feel and sound but the MIMs are good too.

The thing I would be worried about is how the neck fits you. It's pretty different from the neck on your SE custom (wide thin?)
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
some are nice some aren't so great quality wise. i have had more than ten in the last few years and finally found 'the one' that was it for me. after that one i have gone through more and haven't found a better one.

look at the tightness of neck pocket, that is a common offence, you will see problems with quite a few. watch out for sketchy fender parts casters, i don't even mess with them. get familiar with a good one and play a variety of them first. they have changed a lot in the years, to a glossy laquer on the neck and fretboard, to more of a satin finish. they are also different because a lot of times they are different wood.

if you look it up you will see that a std strat is made of "select hardwoods" one i refinished had a probably dozen pieces of wood.

get familiar with a few before you buy one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
some are nice some aren't so great quality wise. i have had more than ten in the last few years and finally found 'the one' that was it for me. after that one i have gone through more and haven't found a better one.

look at the tightness of neck pocket, that is a common offence, you will see problems with quite a few.

When I got mine I actually checked the neck pocket, holds in place without any of the bolts in. It was actually tight enough to make me have to put a decent amount of force on it to remove the neck when I was cleaning the fretboard and polishing the frets.

I was surprised to find that MiM strats even when floating the bridge have a lot of sustain. After blocking it the guitar had as much sustain as the 006 elite I traded for it.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Darkdevil725
When I got mine I actually checked the neck pocket, holds in place without any of the bolts in. It was actually tight enough to make me have to put a decent amount of force on it to remove the neck when I was cleaning the fretboard and polishing the frets.

yea the one i own is like that too. only 3 or maybe 4 have had the bad pockets. they very a lot by what era they come from my experiance. mine is a '95.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I'm not really worried about the neck shape, i'll adjust...it's not like i'm buying it to be my only guitar.

I'll keep an eye out for the neck pocket, thanks. I was mostly wondering about the electronics, but if i'm being fair the prs electronics aren't very good either. I am gonna miss the grover rotomatics i put on the prs though, I hope the strat tuners are half decent.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Went to go see it...neck was twisted

oh well
Quote by stepchildusmc
I have a 2002 MIM strat I bought off Craigslist for $200 USD with case! I just assumed something was wrong. There was a little rust on the pups and on some screws. Played it through the sellers crappy amp and it felt OK. For the price I decided why not. Brought it home and plugged into the HRD and it sound very nice, even with rusty strings. With new strings and some TLC it has become my go to guitar. I love it.
Dont care for them too much. Electronics are shit and necks are bleh.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by Zoeda
I have a 2002 MIM strat I bought off Craigslist for $200 USD with case! I just assumed something was wrong. There was a little rust on the pups and on some screws. Played it through the sellers crappy amp and it felt OK. For the price I decided why not. Brought it home and plugged into the HRD and it sound very nice, even with rusty strings. With new strings and some TLC it has become my go to guitar. I love it.

deals like that are quite common. those are the deals i pick up. then resell or sell or trade.

i got a new (literally had plastic wrap) MIM with a brand new MG10CD (lol) amp in the deal with hardcase for the guitar as well. the guy bought it, fractured his wrist a few days after the purchase, ended up to having his wrist fused, sat around long enough for returns to not apply. $220 (got him down from $250).

sell the guitar since all plastic and case candy for like >$350, held on to the amp for travels, and the hard case to add to my ratio to my guitar and hardshell issue.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!