I've come between two guitars which I've played and really loved. The Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE and the Breedlove Atlas Stage D25/SRe. I can't really decide between the two. However, price wise, the Masterbilt is cheaper; however, I've found an Atlas for $700 on craigslist and could maybe haggle it down to $600? Or if the trader's interested in a trade with some cash I could put in my Schechter Tempest Hellraiser.
But really, anyone have pros and cons when the two guitars are pitted against each other?
I work at a guitar shop and we carry both Breedloves and Epiphones. Now I have never played the Epiphone that you suggested but we do carry a different model of the Masterbuilt. It has a very bright tone and overall a nice guitar. As for the Breedlove, we have that same exact model. It is INSANE.... The guys at Breedlove know what they are doing, if i'm not mistaken it is one of the USA made ones. The woods scream out at you because they are actually cut different on the guitar top. Near the 6th string the wood is very thin to emphasis the bass tone, near the 1st string the wood is thick so a nice treble can get through. I would suggest the Breedlove... you wont regret it, trust me.
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
the atlas series is made in korea, and the sides are laminate. they also have the bridge doctor inside, which i find chokes the tone a bit. i have not found the masterbilts i've tried to be bright - they tend to have more bass than some of the competition, and they're all solid. still, both pretty good guitars, but tone and feel will be different, and the only way to find which one you prefer is to play 'em both.

i suspect the breedlove may have slightly better quality, as they are supposedly set up and examined at breedlove.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by patticake
the atlas series is made in korea, and the sides are laminate. they also have the bridge doctor inside, which i find chokes the tone a bit. i have not found the masterbilts i've tried to be bright - they tend to have more bass than some of the competition, and they're all solid. still, both pretty good guitars, but tone and feel will be different, and the only way to find which one you prefer is to play 'em both.

i suspect the breedlove may have slightly better quality, as they are supposedly set up and examined at breedlove.

I liked athe Breedlove website and he atlas stages have solid tops and sides?
All Masterbilts sold in the USA are imported (from China) and inspected and set-up by Gibson in Nashville, TN. Masterbilts are built in a stand-alone facility in China purpose-built to produce this line. Lower end Epi's are made elsewhere.

Not saying they never mess up, but that's the PR on the Masterbilt series.
solid tops and backs, laminate sides. i guess what was confusing was this:

Solid Wood Back/Sides

Quote by xGoozx
I liked athe Breedlove website and he atlas stages have solid tops and sides?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!