I'm looking to buy a new fuzz pedal. I've had a Black Russian Big Muff and a Hoof, and while both were good, they still weren't exactly what I wanted. Black Russian was great for liquid leads, but wasn't articulate enough for rhythm. Hoof sounded better on rhythm, but didn't have as much gain and sustain for leads.

Tone-wise, I love the muff sound of Dinosaur Jr, Smashing Pumpkins, and the Black Keys. However, I'm a little weary of the Gilmourish (I know, heresy) smooth tones. I like a sound with a little more edge. Other examples include the tone of Dean Wareham (Galaxie 500, Luna) and Ira Kaplan of Yo La Tengo.

Right now, I'm debating between a Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian and a Mojo Hand Colossus. I love the Colossus' flexibility (and mids knob), but am not sure of the sound quality based on online demos. The Wren and Cuff sounds fantastic, but doesn't seem as flexible (also, no mids knob). Still, I love that tone. Which would you recommend out of those, and are there any other recommendations?
You want a Blackout Musket, Black Arts Pharaoh, Skreddy Top Fuel or maybe a Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Blackout Effectors Musket, or the Twosome better xD I WANT AND NEED ONE!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Honestly, I would suggest an Op Amp Big Muff or one of its clones.

That will get you the Dinosaur Jr, Smashing Pumpkins, type of tones.
P19 would definitely be too smooth. It's meant to hit modern Gilmour stuff when he's using the Cornish pedals. I don't think the Cog Dis would be aggressive enough for him.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
That would be a good idea!
Last edited by RANDY1888 at Mar 29, 2012,