Page 1 of 2
I got a parking ticket for being parked for no more than 3 minutes in a no stopping zone, and got my appeal rejected because the council is full of spastics.

You got any experiences of tickets that defy common sense?

Eg: Speeding ticket for being 1mph over.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
I got a parking ticket for being parked for no more than 3 minutes in a no stopping zone, and got my appeal rejected because the council is full of spastics.

Eg: Speeding ticket for being 1mph over.

Yeah, no sense there.
I got a ticket once.

I even knew the charge that was coming, so I paid upfront for it.

It was a bus ticket
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Never had a parking ticket. Funnily enough though yesterday I was down at the beach with some mates, parked up at a pay and display car park, was at the beach for like 3 hours. Then I start thinking "Hmm, I wonder how long I have left on my parking ticket..."

Then I realised "Shit.. I didn't buy one.."

Figured I'd have a parking fine when I got back, but luckily I didn't.

/really interesting story
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
well that sucks. i heard that in some countrys they cant do anything if you don't pay a ticket given by someone who isnt a real cop, like parking duty people. if it wasnt a police ticket you could check your countrys rules about that maybe you're lucky.

in my town there is a market every week, i got a ticket for driving thru the market zone after the market was already gone. only the 'market' signs were still standing there and behind the corner the cops were just waiting for people to drive past it. she was freaking out and raging that i was the 30somethinged person who drove through there that day and got a ridiculously high ticket

also got a bunch of tickets because of them damn speeding cameras.

****ing bastards
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
I paid for a ticket to see Paul.

That was pretty stupid.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by equeiregoocu
Yeah, no sense there.

I parked to post a letter. There's no parking near the post box. Common sense says that isn't worth a $120 fine.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I used to live on this dirt road, speed limit 35mph. The last 100 yards or so before the corner, the speed limit dropped to 25mph.
This was out in the middle of nowhere, in the desert. Maybe 1 car an hour would drive down that street, at most.
I slowed down as I came to the 25mph section.
Apparently not enough.
Got a ticket for going 29mph.

Went to court.
$72 fine.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
My car got towed while I was in hospital getting an MRI scan, because I got bumped for an emergency.

Seriously?

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
I parked to post a letter. There's no parking near the post box. Common sense says that isn't worth a $120 fine.

I'm confused, are you now proving my point how it is indeed stupid to park in a no parking zone?

And I'm just saying, time doesn't affect the legality, you did something illegal, how long you did it is irrelevant.

Also, I don't think it's equal to going 1 MPH over (Yes, I realize you didn't state that you thought it was equally bad), it's more like going 10 MPH over and when you get stopped by the police telling them: "but I was only speeding for a minute, that ticket's BS"

Edit: Also, sorry if I came across as a douche, not trying to, just really need to get some sleep right now.
Last edited by equeiregoocu at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by equeiregoocu
I'm confused, are you now proving my point how it is indeed stupid to park in a no parking zone?

And I'm just saying, time doesn't affect the legality, you did something illegal, how long you did it is irrelevant.

Also, I don't think it's equal to going 1 MPH over (Yes, I realize you didn't state that you thought it was equally bad), it's more like going 10 MPH over and when you get stopped by the police telling them: "but I was only speeding for a minute, that ticket's BS"

Edit: Also, sorry if I came across as a douche, not trying to, just really need to get some sleep right now.

No, I'm saying that's its retarded to give someone a parking ticket for being stopped for sub 3 minutes. I think it's entirely time based because there has to be a level of sense. Are you saying that if I stopped at the side of the road to help an elderly/disabled person out of my car and walk them to their door that it's deserving of a ticket? Because technically I've parked illegally.

Again, I disagree. Going 1mph over and getting a ticket is ridiculous, being parked for less than 5 minutes and getting a ticket is equally ridiculous.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Seriously?

Yup. Paid for an hour and a half, when that was running out, I told them I had to go feed the meter, and they said I'd lose my spot if I left the unit. Had already waited 6 weeks, so decided to chance it.
Quote by jambi_mantra
No, I'm saying that's its retarded to give someone a parking ticket for being stopped for sub 3 minutes. I think it's entirely time based because there has to be a level of sense. Are you saying that if I stopped at the side of the road to help an elderly/disabled person out of my car and walk them to their door that it's deserving of a ticket? Because technically I've parked illegally.

Again, I disagree. Going 1mph over and getting a ticket is ridiculous, being parked for less than 5 minutes and getting a ticket is equally ridiculous.

Gotta disagree...to a point.
If its a handicapped spot, next to a fire hydrant, blocking a fire station driveway, or a place that emergency vehicles may need access to, ANY amount of time, IMO you deserve a ticket.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yup. Paid for an hour and a half, when that was running out, I told them I had to go feed the meter, and they said I'd lose my spot if I left the unit. Had already waited 6 weeks, so decided to chance it.

Did you get a fine? Did you appeal it?

Quote by CodeMonk
Gotta disagree...to a point.
If its a handicapped spot, next to a fire hydrant, blocking a fire station driveway, or a place that emergency vehicles may need access to, ANY amount of time, IMO you deserve a ticket.

It was none of those. It was at the side of the road, out of the way of any driveways, wasn't blocking any traffic. It just wasn't a marked parking area.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by jambi_mantra

It was none of those. It was at the side of the road, out of the way of any driveways, wasn't blocking any traffic. It just wasn't a marked parking area.

Then it's a bit stupid. I thought it was a zone marked "No Stopping". Then you would have deserved it.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by jambi_mantra

One good dead doesn't nullify a bad one, unless perhaps in extreme situations, like you parked illegally to help someone that's dying, but I believe legally they could still ticket you.

And yes, I agree going 1 MPH over and getting a ticket would be absolutely ridiculous. I don't think it is equal though for reasons already stated. But from a legal perspective there is no reason at all for it to be time based, and I see no reason why it should be, you did something illegal, you get a ticket. Like I said, if you're going 5-10 MPH over it's irrelevant if you did that for only 15 seconds, you broke the law, you get caught, you get a ticket, that's how it works.

Edit: read your other post, didn't realize that it was not marked no parking/no stopping, the way you said it, it sounded like you clearly knew you were parking in an area that was illegal to park in, in that case I'd protest it and take pictures of the area of how it's not marked. In that case, yes, I do think it is stupid if it wasn't marked.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Then it's a bit stupid. I thought it was a zone marked "No Stopping". Then you would have deserved it.

Nope. There are signs that say it's an area that isn't an allocated for parking like other roadsides. I don't deny that I was parked in area that wasn't to be parked in. But given that I was parked for no more than a couple of minutes I feel a ticket is overkill. Especially as there is no where to park near the post box.

I was back at my car before he'd finished writing the ticket. That's how short I was there for.

Quote by equeiregoocu
One good dead doesn't nullify a bad one, unless perhaps in extreme situations, like you parked illegally to help someone that's dying, but I believe legally they could still ticket you.

And yes, I agree going 1 MPH over and getting a ticket would be absolutely ridiculous. I don't think it is equal though for reasons already stated. But from a legal perspective there is no reason at all for it to be time based, and I see no reason why it should be, you did something illegal, you get a ticket. Like I said, if you're going 5-10 MPH over it's irrelevant if you did that for only 15 seconds, you broke the law, you get caught, you get a ticket, that's how it works.

I'm not saying that it should. I'm saying a degree of common sense should be applied to enforcement. Most places have a degree of slack, for instance with speeding there's a 5-7% leeway because of the difficultly of maintaining a constant speed.

If I'd blocked anything or caused danger/congestion, I'd accept it. If I parked there and walked off for an hour, I'd accept it. But given that I got out, walked about 30 metres to the post box, posted the letter, walked back, and got a ticket. I think it's hilariously pedantic and over kill.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
next time just don't take that risk anymore and drive up on the sidewalk and post the letter through your car window.

less effort
faster
less chance of getting ticket
probably smaller ticket

win win situation
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by vince1991
next time just don't take that risk anymore and drive up on the sidewalk and post the letter through your car window.

less effort
faster
less chance of getting ticket
probably smaller ticket

win win situation

I'd have to stop infront and climb across my seats to get over to the window to post it

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
I'm not saying that it should. I'm saying a degree of common sense should be applied to enforcement. Most places have a degree of slack, for instance with speeding there's a 5-7% leeway because of the difficultly of maintaining a constant speed.

If I'd blocked anything or caused danger/congestion, I'd accept it. If I parked there and walked off for an hour, I'd accept it. But given that I got out, walked about 30 metres to the post box, posted the letter, walked back, and got a ticket. I think it's hilariously pedantic and over kill.

I agree, it wasn't anything that bad considering the circumstances. I still think it was worthy of a ticket, maybe I'm just used to how that matter treated where I live, idk. But in my opinion, it's hard to compare a parking violation to a moving violation, but if you want to.... Yes, it may be difficult for some to keep the speed exact, and some cars readings can be off (mine is by quite a bit actually), so they give a little leeway on the matter, but really, how hard is it to park in a legal zone?

I can see why you would be upset and everything, but the amount of time you were there really doesn't matter when it comes to the law.
Quote by jambi_mantra
Did you get a fine? Did you appeal it?

Then that is a totally BS reason for a ticket.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by jambi_mantra
I'd have to stop infront and climb across my seats to get over to the window to post it

well... the alternative is parking your car, walking 30 meters, go back 30 meters to you car, collect ticket from windshield and unpark it.

it is the easiest way, and for a contribution of my common sense, electricity and water also follow the path of least resistance. and neither electricity or water ever got a ticket right?
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by equeiregoocu
I agree, it wasn't anything that bad considering the circumstances. I still think it was worthy of a ticket, maybe I'm just used to how that matter treated where I live, idk. But in my opinion, it's hard to compare a parking violation to a moving violation, but if you want to.... Yes, it may be difficult for some to keep the speed exact, and some cars readings can be off (mine is by quite a bit actually), so they give a little leeway on the matter, but really, how hard is it to park in a legal zone?

I can see why you would be upset and everything, but the amount of time you were there really doesn't matter when it comes to the law.

Well, when the nearest car park is 10 minutes away in the opposite direction to where I'm heading and I'm stopping for a few minutes at best, it's pretty impractical actually.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. 100% enforcement with no regards to common sense is ridiculous to me.

Quote by CodeMonk
Then that is a totally BS reason for a ticket.

Thank you! I'm glad someone agrees, I was starting to think I was trying to get away with murder.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra

What, like parking in a no stopping zone?
Quote by jambi_mantra
Well, when the nearest car park is 10 minutes away in the opposite direction to where I'm heading and I'm stopping for a few minutes at best, it's pretty impractical actually.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. 100% enforcement with no regards to common sense is ridiculous to me.

Wait a minute, so you could have parked 10 minutes away, walked, and then walked back? That's why parking places EXIST so that you don't park in the street that is a no stop zone. You deserved the ticket, you should've just walked. You were there 3 minutes, the whole point is you aren't supposed to be there at all. I think it's a bit ridiculous for you to not have used the parking 10 minutes away. Life isn't convenient.

I've seldom heard someone getting pulled over for 1mph over the speed limit, but it still would make sense. If I can go 1, why not 2? Then 3? Where does the sense of what is "ok" and what isn't stop. You think going 1mph over the speed limit is fine and manageable, others think 15mph over is fine and manageable. Both of you are using the same logic. The law is pretty cut and dry don't go over Xmph and you're fine. If you want to test the limits don't bitch when you get pulled over.
Last edited by Nirvana_RATM2 at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Wait a minute, so you could have parked 10 minutes away, walked, and then walked back? That's why parking places EXIST so that you don't park in the street that is a no stop zone. You deserved the ticket, you should've just walked. You were there 3 minutes, the whole point is you aren't supposed to be there at all. I think it's a bit ridiculous for you to not have used the parking 10 minutes away. Life isn't convenient.

10 minutes drive. So 10 minute drive there in the direction opposite to where I was going, 20-30 minute walk to the post box, 20-30 minute walk back. 10 minute drive back to where I started. Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes. Stop by post box, hop out, post letter, hop back in car: 3 minutes.

I'm sorry that I have more important things to do

Quote by sam b
What, like parking in a no stopping zone?

I'd barely even call what I did parking tbh but whatever.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Like mine, 4mph over on a desert road with zero traffic at the time was IMO BS.
The cops out in that area have nothing to do but wait.
There is also a bar about 1 mile away from where I got the ticket.
They could have gotten a shitload of drunk drivers from that place.
But nooo....
someone going 4mph over the limit is worse than a drunk driver
/sarcasm

Copy/paste this into google maps : "8550 Iroquois Trail, Silver Springs, NV 89429"
The corner to the right was where I got the ticket.
The indicator is about where the 25mph sign was.
Not exactly a bustling metropolis.
That's the street I lived on (But that wasn't my address).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 29, 2012,
wow what a bunch of tight-asses here...

if he wasn't in the way and didn't bother anyone by parking there then what is the problem?

these laws exist with a reason. so noone has to be annoyed by people parked in front of their driveway, or risks lives by going 120 in the city centre. if he parks somewhere without a chance of pissing of other people or goes 120 on a wide deserted country road with a speed limit of 50 then should the laws still be reinforced? even if the verry reason they exist doesn't apply to the situation?
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by jambi_mantra
10 minutes drive. So 10 minute drive there in the direction opposite to where I was going, 20-30 minute walk to the post box, 20-30 minute walk back. 10 minute drive back to where I started. Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes. Stop by post box, hop out, post letter, hop back in car: 3 minutes.

I'm sorry that I have more important things to do

I'm sorry you also have a ticket that is within perfectly valid reason too. No you're going to go to court, waste gas, waste time, and do all the wonderful bullshit they make you do.

Total time : More than 1 hour 20 minutes.

That's the penalty for going the quick route ; you get a ticket.

Long route = no ticket.

Quote by vince1991

if he wasn't in the way and didn't bother anyone by parking there then what is the problem?

these laws exist with a reason. so noone has to be annoyed by people parked in front of their driveway, or risks lives by going 120 in the city centre. if he parks somewhere without a chance of pissing of other people or goes 120 on a wide deserted country road with a speed limit of 50 then should the laws still be reinforced? even if the verry reason they exist doesn't apply to the situation?

Yes they exist with a reason but EVERYONE knows law officials will give you a ticket for anything ; especially if they have a valid legal reason. So when you do something like that, knowing that cops are assholes, and then you get the ticket. You shouldn't bitch. You should have seen it coming.

Also, what the hell do you call it if it's not "parking"
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I'm sorry you also have a ticket that is within perfectly valid reason too. No you're going to go to court, waste gas, waste time, and do all the wonderful bullshit they make you do.

Total time : More than 1 hour 20 minutes.

That's the penalty for going the quick route ; you get a ticket.

Long route = no ticket.

Actually I just paid it, total time: 30 seconds.

Also, good job at being the moral shining knight.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra

Yeah, I kinda knew that we'd have to agree to disagree, if we all had the same viewpoint I think life would be kind of boring.
Quote by jambi_mantra
Actually I just paid it, total time: 30 seconds.

Also, good job at being the moral shining knight.

Good job at not being sensible?

It's just common sense. Every knows cops are dicks, when you do something remotely illegal,and you know you are doing it, then you get a ticket. How does it defy common sense? Everything adds up?

It's like be going 5mph over the speed limit and then being like?! "I wouldn't even call what I was doing speeding!" Everyone speeds, all the damn time. But then they acted shocked and pissed once/if they get a ticket? As if they weren't consciously go over the speed limit? I don't understand that...
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Good job at not being sensible?

It's just common sense. Every knows cops are dicks, when you do something remotely illegal,and you know you are doing it, then you get a ticket. How does it defy common sense? Everything adds up?

You're seriously telling me you'd go nearly 90 minutes out of your way instead of pulling up by the post box? you'll excuse me if I don't believe anyone who says that.

If I'd had someone else in the car and they got out, I wouldn't have got a ticket. I've still stopped where I shouldn't, but I'm not deemed to have parked. That makes sense to you?

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
You're seriously telling me you'd go nearly 90 minutes out of your way instead of pulling up by the post box? you'll excuse me if I don't believe anyone who says that.

If I'd had someone else in the car and they got out, I wouldn't have got a ticket. I've still stopped where I shouldn't, but I'm not deemed to have parked. That makes sense to you?

I would have probably found a different mailbox? But maybe where you live and I live operate differently. There is usually a bunch of different mailboxes I can go to.

I don't care whether or not the law makes sense. I'm saying it shouldn't be surprising you got a ticket.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I would have probably found a different mailbox? But maybe where you live and I live operate differently. There is usually a bunch of different mailboxes I can go to.

I don't care whether or not the law makes sense. I'm saying it shouldn't be surprising you got a ticket.

I went to the first one that I saw on my route. I don't memorise where post boxes are.

Meh I disagree.

Quote by vince1991

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra

Just buy a life-like doll to put in the drivers seat then.

But I mean, there has to be closer parking or perhaps a mail-box you could simply drop the letter into?

Edit: Being too lazy to find a different mail-box is definitely not a good excuse, go find yourself a different mail-box so you know you wont get another ticket. The law doesn't care what minor inconvenience it is to you to find a legal alternative.
Quote by equeiregoocu
Just buy a life-like doll to put in the drivers seat then.

But I mean, there has to be closer parking or perhaps a mail-box you could simply drop the letter into?

Nope, I was heading away from the main shopping area so there wouldn't have been another car park for a fair distance.

It was just a drop in mail box.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Nope, I was heading away from the main shopping area so there wouldn't have been another car park for a fair distance.

It was just a drop in mail box.

I'm gonna guess that this cop was fairly young, maybe a year or so out of the academy.
Page 1 of 2