Hey guys,

I don't know what to think about my low E and A string. When I go up the neck the notes seem to be "held back" or something. Is it my imagination or is there something off ?

I recorded the notes from the first fret to the last on both strings :

http://soundcloud.com/alans056/for-ug

There is a bit of fret buzz but I don't mind. Its really the last frets that are weird.

THANKS!!
I'm going to say yes, lift the saddle a bit if you can and see it any better
Quote by seljer
I'm going to say yes, lift the saddle a bit if you can and see it any better

Ah thank you. The thing is the neck is dead straight it the action is perfect. If I lift the bridge up I am going to increase the action I can't bear it
Quote by alans056
Ah thank you. The thing is the neck is dead straight it the action is perfect. If I lift the bridge up I am going to increase the action I can't bear it

All signs - and common sense point to yes.

If you have fret buzz and don't want to raise your action, your going to have to file frets. Take it into a trusted shop and have them set it up for you.
Quote by alans056

Thing is, the neck shouldn't be dead straight. There should be some bow to it.
Maybe your truss rod is off. Keep in mind, truss rod adjustments ARE NOT for setting action - it's to counteract the pull of the strings. If you have too much tension on the rod, and not enough on the strings, the neck will flatten and you will get buzz. This can happen if you down-tune and don't go up in string gauge.

Don't touch the truss if you don't know what you are doing - leave it for a pro, else you could destroy the neck. Truss adjustments should be make in tiny increments, and never ever turn a truss rod more than 360 degrees.

Try lifting your bridge just a little on the E/A side. The bridge shouldn't be parallel to the body of the guitar. The thin string side should slope down to compensate for the thinner diameter of the strings and to maintain the same height off the fretboard as the others.
Quote by 667
Thing is, the neck shouldn't be dead straight. There should be some bow to it.
Maybe your truss rod is off. Keep in mind, truss rod adjustments ARE NOT for setting action - it's to counteract the pull of the strings. If you have too much tension on the rod, and not enough on the strings, the neck will flatten and you will get buzz. This can happen if you down-tune and don't go up in string gauge.

Don't touch the truss if you don't know what you are doing - leave it for a pro, else you could destroy the neck. Truss adjustments should be make in tiny increments, and never ever turn a truss rod more than 360 degrees.

Try lifting your bridge just a little on the E/A side. The bridge shouldn't be parallel to the body of the guitar. The thin string side should slope down to compensate for the thinner diameter of the strings and to maintain the same height off the fretboard as the others.

I see thanks a lot. The guitar (a les paul epiphone) was actually set up by a pro in late 2011, he filed the frets, adjusted the truss rod etc. The guitar was excellent.

But I only rarely play the E/A strings that high up the neck, si I don't know if this is a recent problem or if it was already there after the set up (am I making sense?).

It costs me 35€ (45 USD) for a setup and it's a 1h30 drive so I'm really bummed out about this !

I have experience with the truss rod, as I already did some adjustments here and there sometimes (cause of changes of temprature etc). But if I bow it a little, I will have more action in the middle of neck, and I hate that
Quote by alans056
I see thanks a lot. The guitar (a les paul epiphone) was actually set up by a pro in late 2011, he filed the frets, adjusted the truss rod etc. The guitar was excellent.

But I only rarely play the E/A strings that high up the neck, si I don't know if this is a recent problem or if it was already there after the set up (am I making sense?).

It costs me 35€ (45 USD) for a setup and it's a 1h30 drive so I'm really bummed out about this !

I have experience with the truss rod, as I already did some adjustments here and there sometimes (cause of changes of temprature etc). But if I bow it a little, I will have more action in the middle of neck, and I hate that

That bow is natural. It shouldn't be excessive, but you need a little bit. Did you drop your tuning since you set it up? If you took out the bow in the truss, put a little back in. Don't turn the truss rod more than 1/8 revolution at a time.
Nope, the tuning is always standard.

Thank you for taking the time to help, I will give the neck a little bit of bow then.

Roughly how much would you say is good ? A teeny tiny bit just so you can say there is one ?
No problem.

Check this out....

There's a wealth of info on this on the innanet. Look up youtube vids too.