Im thinking about spending a little money to get a multi-effects unit soon. I am wanting to buy used from ebay or craigslist and I do not want to spend too much more than $100 bucks or so. So far Ive been looking at the following and have found them used in my price range: Zoom G2, Line 6 M5, Boss ME-20, and possibly a Zoom G2.1Nu. I am also looking at Pod 2.0s, but am not sure If I can afford a better Pod model. I am wanting one mainly for effects. I will not be needing an amp modeler really. I am also not too worried about the overdrives/distortions. Mainly Delay, Reverb, and whatever else is thrown in.

What do you guys think my best option would be? If its something I didnt list above please let me know, I am always looking for new options. It would be great if someone could compare and contrast the units in my price range. Thanks for your time.
for modulations i'd say M5. modulations from the zoom ones IMO sound a little more digital for me. and if you're looking at boss, i'd prefer you save up for me-70 or so. just my two cents.
For effects, the rp155 is the way to go for $100. The m5 effects are pretty bad in comparison.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I recommend saving more and looking at an used L6 M series unit. You may not need M13, the largest one, but investigate the cheaper ones in the series.

The TC Elec Nova System is amazing quality too. One of those used seems to be what you need

If saving is absolutely not an option, go with the M5, I think.
Last edited by Jyrgen at Mar 29, 2012,
Used boss me50s go for <$100. I'd take an me50 over an me70, in fact I did, after A-B'ing them at home. Boss cut corners on that one IMO.
Quote by kutless999
For effects, the rp155 is the way to go for $100. The m5 effects are pretty bad in comparison.

I will look into them for sure. Thanks for the advise.

I have looked at the other Line 6 M options and think that I should go with the M9 after a little bit of saving if I decide to go that route.

I will look into the TC Elec Nova System for sure. Never heard of it but that is why I came here looking for advise. Thanks a ton.

I didn't know the better MEs went for less that $100 and that is fantastic. Some thing I want to check out without a doubt.

Ive just found Vox Tonelabs. Would this be good for what I need it for or is it more for amp models? Im looking at their ST model.
Quote by kutless999
Wat!!! IMO and speaking as someone who has both, the FX in the M5 are superior to the RP155.

However I recommend looking for a used Digitech RP355, Boss ME25, or a Tonelab ST, in that order. The M5 doesn't have amp modeling and it's a single FX at a time unit.
Quote by kutless999

Anyways, if you're absolutely set on $100, a digitech unit will probably be your best option. Maybe a used Line 6 POD if you can find one. However, I would really recommend saving up, there are some really sweet affordable options for multi-effects these days. My personal reccomendation would be an M9 if you can save up that much, but I've also heard really good things about the TC Electronic units, and some of the Zoom units (They make one that goes for $200 new, I've heard some guys really like it. I can't think of the name of it..........G3?)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by IC400Iceman
I will look into the TC Elec Nova System for sure. Never heard of it but that is why I came here looking for advise. Thanks a ton.

It's a good piece of gear indeed. It's principle is like about the quality over quantity of effects, yet there's enough of them in there to cover the common bases. Actually it contains the exact same effects than the state-of-the art G Major 2, but there's less of them and it's a smaller package.

Ron Thal, one of the current Guns N' Roses lead guitarists, has used a Nova System for all his effects for like 3 years now. So it's definitely good enough for the pros.
Quote by IC400Iceman
I have looked at the other Line 6 M options and think that I should go with the M9 after a little bit of saving if I decide to go that route.

So much for having a price range.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 29, 2012,