Is there any possible way to run four speakers from a powered mixer that only has 2 speaker-outs? Specifically, this package here is what we are running from. We got this basically so our drummer could hear our amps better at school shows, so we never had to worry about from speakers for vocals since we ran through their system. But now we want to start playing parties and such. Any ideas?
I started to feel really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't
- Kurt Cobain
I am unfamiliar with that exact product, but it appears to have a mono main out (using the tip and sleeve of a 1/4" plug) that could be chained into however many "powered" speakers you want or into a second power amplifier.
(Invalid img)
This of course would not be ideal as even the cheapest usable powered speakers would each cost more than this entire PA system and I won't even bother saying the downside of using a second power amp. There is also some technical weirdness since that connection described is an "Insert" which will require some mickey mouse wiring to keep the signal going to the systems built in power amp, but I couldn't be sure how to set this up unless I had one in front of me to test it. Also, pulling this signal from the insert is "unbalanced" which may cause problems on longer cable runs to the powered speakers or other equipment.

You could also mess around with matching impedances and chain passive speakers together, but the built in power amp would not be functioning as designed and could lead to problems.

You can ignore this part since you already have this PowerPod system.
Basically, you would have been better off picking up a small mixer with an "Aux Send" and Powered (sometimes called "active") speakers. This way you can set up a Front of House mix on the mains and a different mix to the monitor for the drummer. You would also have individual volume controls on each of the stage monitors and speakers. Also, purchasing a system like this you can upgrade key components or add to the existing system without having to replace all of it in one shot when a small change is required (like adding sub woofers or extra FoH speakers).

edit: Change from "may" be an insert to "is" an insert.
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Last edited by Quintex at Mar 29, 2012,
This amp won't run extra speakers very easily. If you run more speakers with a parallel connection (most speakers have parallel jacks on the back) then you will be running into a 2ohm load which will damage this amp. You could make up or buy a series spaeker lead but this will mean you are running into 8ohms which will halve the power from the amp so you won't be any louder.

The only sensible way forward would be to get a powered speaker or another amp, you could drive this off the stereo jack output or even from the tape output.

If you can get hold of something cheap and used or, better still, borrowed then go ahead. If it isn't dirt cheap then I wouldn't waste money going down this route. You could for example buy another one of these systems but the better option is to buy a decent PA, the $200 you spend on these would go towards that. Long term what you have will make reasonable monitors for your drummer and vocals which is what you bought them for.

Try this and you should be able to find links to my other articles http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_guide_to_pa_part_one_-_a_first_pa.html
Quote by Phil Starr
The only sensible way forward would be to get a powered speaker or another amp, you could drive this off the stereo jack output or even from the tape output.

Just to clarify Phil, the 1/4" TRS is an insert, not a stereo out on this Phonic Powerpod. The Musician's Friend description has it wrong, I put a snap shot of the manual page in my post above where it is shown as an insert. One could use the record out unbalanced signal to a powered speaker/monitor or power amp, but the options here are really limited.

Either way it will be an unbalanced signal out. Shouldn't be a problem with this small of a system though.
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Last edited by Quintex at Apr 12, 2012,