Hey guys, I've been wondering about a technique which Frusciante uses in some of his solo's. Sometimes he uses the wah and plays something really fast, here's a video of it (about 4:39):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HjFL5iHG_A

What exactly is he doing there, because I can't figure it out myself.

Thanks

Jori
He's playing something reasonably fast, very sloppily and using the wah to cover up the fact that he can't really do it.

What about that sound are you finding hard to replicate? Is it the lick underneath or the wah sound?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know he can't actually shred it like it's supposed to. I get what he's doing, he's just strumming fast playing some notes in the pentatonic scale, I just don't get what he's doing with his wah. Is he just going up and down with it really fast or what?

Jori
Quote by JoriFGP
I know he can't actually shred it like it's supposed to. I get what he's doing, he's just strumming fast playing some notes in the pentatonic scale, I just don't get what he's doing with his wah. Is he just going up and down with it really fast or what?

Jori

Thats the worst picking technique ive ever seen. He's probably just using the wah to the beat but he's using an insane amount. More than slash and hammet combined.
Quote by JoriFGP

Jori

He's moving it relatively slowly but it's a wah with a relatively exaggerated sound and he's likely using the full sweep of the pedal.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
look @4:50, the bassman even seems to say "WTF you doin' bro?!"