Do you guys think musicians listen to their own albums? Or are they so sick of them after writing them, recording them, and touring with them that they never want to hear them ever again? I know it's normal to get tired of playing certain hits over and over again on every tour...but I've also heard some bands say that "x" song they never get tired of performing.

One of my favorite bands has a new album coming out this summer, and I read that one of the members said that he can honestly say that out of all of their band's albums, this is the only one he's put in at home to listen to for enjoyment. Do you think this is normal, and you would have to be vain to listen to your own recorded/published work, or abnormal, and he's not proud of his previous work?
Why would it be vain to listen to your own work? If you aren't producing it for personal enjoyment then what's the point?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Why would it be vain to listen to your own work? If you aren't producing it for personal enjoyment then what's the point?

I agree, but once it has been mastered, and you're not doing any changing to it anymore, does it get redundant?

And I've never really recorded anything, but for some reason it just seems a little weird to listen to yourself in the car or something...
A lot of pop artists listen to their own songs, but that's due to them not even having much to do with the recording and writing.

I like listening to my band's music, but it's more fun to play it.
I think it'd be a little weird for a singer to listen to himself for enjoyment, for anyone else, it doesn't seem too strange.
37N
I think I would, but not for enjoyment, just to see where I could add/improve anything when playing it live.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Quote by 37 Narwhals
I think it'd be a little weird for a singer to listen to himself for enjoyment, for anyone else, it doesn't seem too strange.

Yeah when thinking of a whole band it may not be strange. But if you're a solo artist I'm not sure how that's not vain.
Quote by BoyLilikoi
Yeah when thinking of a whole band it may not be strange. But if you're a solo artist I'm not sure how that's not vain.

How is it vain to take pride in and enjoy your own work? Vanity implies that you're proud of something that simply happened to you through no effort of your own, or that you're ridiculously proud of it. Simply being happy about the way your album turned out and wanting to give it a listen isn't vain.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Mar 29, 2012,
I listen to my own music all the time. It's cool, because it only has elements that I like.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Todd Hart
How is it vain to take pride in and enjoy your own work? Vanity implies that you're proud of something that simply happened to you through no effort of your own, or that you're ridiculously proud of it. Simply being happy about the way your album turned out and wanting to give it a listen isn't vain.

that's not exactly what vanity means. Essentially it'd be excessively proud of your in this case achievements. Maybe vanity isn't the exact word, maybe more self-indulgent?

I'm not saying I wouldn't listen to my own music, I've just never had anything of my own to listen to. I think I would certainly listen to it to critique it, but if I'm driving down the highway, rocking out to it I'd feel full of myself.

That being said, I was a little put off that he said he never listens to any of their other albums for enjoyment, cause I love their other albums. But they're a mega huge band, and I'm sure things are different for bands that are on such a large scale.
I listen to my own music all the time. I think it sounds good.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I listen to my own music too often, but mostly because I can't remember exactly how it goes and therefore it sounds fresh to me. Also I mostly produce for my own enjoyment, and the music is tailored entirely to my tastes, so it sounds particularly good to me.

On the other hand I hate listening to anything I've sung on, I can't stand it.
Quote by theogonia777
I listen to my own music all the time. It's cool, because it only has elements that I like.

dat

EDIT: i never listen to the shit my band makes though, probably because it sucks
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Mar 29, 2012,
I always feel awkward listening to material I've recorded professionally, played live and released, etc.

Mostly because it reminds me of having fun in the studio or certain gigs. Or where I flubbed or had a brain fart during a song while live lol. So I'll hear that part in the song and go "cringe, oh man I remember that."
It's not vain it's nice to be in a position to appreciate the music you make. I find it's also useful to critically evaluate your material.
SMILE!
You're essentially writing something you like and find interesting, so why not listen to it?
I listen to my current band's stuff, and sometimes my old band's stuff. I hate hearing my own voice though so I don't listen to my old band that much
Thom Yorke says he hates listening to Radiohead's albums once he's done with them.

Although he did say that he listens to them atleast once. He said he cried when he listened to Kid A (although, I think it may have been OK Computer).
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
I listen to mine because no one else will. ;_;
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Gorelord666
I listen to mine because no one else will. ;_;

Let me listen to it.
Then we can be friends.
Forever
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by theogonia777

This.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
I'm always happy to hear anything I've recorded, it's so much better when you know where you recorded it and you can perfectly imagine playing it. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it every day though.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Guodlca
I'm always happy to hear anything I've recorded, it's so much better when you know where you recorded it and you can perfectly imagine playing it. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it every day though.

I think this may be what big time musicians deal with. Maybe they enjoy it for nastalgic purposes at least at first, but after playing the song 29874837438233 times they probably never want to hear it at home.
Quote by Crazyedd123
Thom Yorke says he hates listening to Radiohead's albums once he's done with them.

Although he did say that he listens to them atleast once. He said he cried when he listened to Kid A (although, I think it may have been OK Computer).

I think he said he only listens to them to learn the songs or something.