Hey everyone so recent events left me firing the girlfriend and with her moved out, I can now play more often and louder with a lot more of disposable income .

My Problem:
Ive spent ass loads of money on random stupid crap and some other gear that turned out alright. I get the, "To each there Own" and that my ear is not the same as someone elses. But like anything its nice to have some knowledge on what exists and what there is to make proper comparisons.

I am in the market for new amp and guitar.

I play mostly classic / hard rock, punk, metal.

Bands: Nirvana, Silverchair, Blink 182, CKY, Metallica, Three days Grace, Pantera, Disturbed, Guns n Roses, ACDC, Papa Roach etc.

*This is to give general idea of music taste but not limited to.*

New or used although I like new stuff but would never turn down a good deal.
spending approx. $1500-2000cdn (rough numbers and can be pursuaded).
Home use only. I dont play gigs nor plan to but i do like playing with friends here and there.
ALL tube.
Try to be <50watt
Head or Combo

Currently I have a Peavey Bandit 112 stock, and a Valveking 112 w/V30 swap. The bandit was pawnshop special and theres a problem with it but the valveking has worked good it just doesnt get me where I want to be.

I have looked into and considered the following:
Peavey 6505 combo
Mesa roadster or the dual rec (maybe the mini not sure)
Mesa Mark V
JCM900 (not sure if its what im looking for, only got to use for 20 minutes though)

I like how the mesa has the multi power switch.

So if there are any pros and cons (outside the 6505 being fraction the price) of these be nice to here.
I am actually looking more for other amps that would be similiar to these (sound quality etc.) such as other type of boutique amps. I dont want to limit my comparisons and I know lots of you know of other manufacturers and things lots more than myself ( comes with xp).

I play a Zakk Wylde Epiphone LP that has the EMG-HZ pickups. This is my second question. I was told to put a set of active 81/85 in it. I was wondering if it would be better to buy a guitar already with actives or swap out the passives. As well if someone could kinda guide me the difference in sound between the humbucker type EMG pickup and the single coil type on like a stratocaster.

So yeah some insight would be greatly appreciated. As i dont want to add to my box of unused gear lol
Check out the Egnater Vengence and the Armageddon.
check out the amp playthrough's on YouTube by this dude Ola Englund, his name on YouTube is Fearedse. Also go ahead and put the active EMG's in ur ZW LP. I did and im so glad i did because it just amps everything up and tightens up the bottom end.
Quote by Gonzo420West
I play a Zakk Wylde Epiphone LP that has the EMG-HZ pickups. This is my second question. I was told to put a set of active 81/85 in it. I was wondering if it would be better to buy a guitar already with actives or swap out the passives. As well if someone could kinda guide me the difference in sound between the humbucker type EMG pickup and the single coil type on like a stratocaster.

The EMG HZ's are not amazing IMO, but tbh I wouldn't recommend EMG 81/85 either. They do sound better than the HZ's but IMO are too generic, too thin/sterile sounding, and really only good for metal, and even then, I like a more organic tone. I'd say, if you have the cash, get yourself nice new guitar, or if you want high output pickups, I'd look to bareknuckle.

As for the difference between humbuckers and single coils, a humbucker is effectively two single coils together. Single coils generally have lower output, nicer clean sounds, but aren't generally recommended for high gain. Humbuckers have a chunkier sound, less hum, and respond to high gain better.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
judging by the bands you listed, i would say you want something like a marshall. or a mesa recto. or an egnater renegade, i would definitely say the vengeance and Armageddon would be overkill unless you have a thing for high gain metal. the renegade gets plenty of gain otherwise. another you might want to look into, one of my personal favorites, is the laney vh100r, or the new ironheart series they have, which i havent played but looks very promising from what ive heard.

also, about the pickups, i would recommend you get rid of those HZs as fast as possible, and put real emgs in that guitar. or almost any other pickup really, HZs are the worst pickups ive played, and not many people will tell you otherwise. they are in my sg right now until i can get the money for new pickups. long story.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
A Roadster or one of the new Multi Watt Dual Recs will do what you want well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would say Egnater.

Pics of the ex too
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Gonzo420West

I have looked into and considered the following:
Peavey 6505 combo
Mesa roadster or the dual rec (maybe the mini not sure)
Mesa Mark V
JCM900 (not sure if its what im looking for, only got to use for 20 minutes though)

those are pretty good amps. for the genres that you are interested in i would consider a head and a closed back cab. this will get you a 'heavier' and more percussive tone you would probably prefer.

you can probably find a jcm900 or a 6505 head fairly cheap in the secondary market. mesas are gonna cost some extra cash.

you may want something more like a jcm2000 over a jcm900, it'll be a bit more modern sounding and have more gain on tap. but to tell truth, the dual rec sounds like what you really want.

Quote by Gonzo420West
I play a Zakk Wylde Epiphone LP that has the EMG-HZ pickups. This is my second question. I was told to put a set of active 81/85 in it. I was wondering if it would be better to buy a guitar already with actives or swap out the passives.

i don't know why you would necessarily want actives. most of those bands you mentioned don't use actives.

but to answer your question, i don't see a benefit either way. you can either mod the guitar or you can get one that comes factory with EMG's. there is some baggage though, for example:

-active pickups require batteries and special hardware, you'd need a tech to install and mod the guitar appropriately.

-there are only a few guitars available with stock EMG pickups, so choosing a guitar that comes stock with EMGs will limit your options.

Quote by Gonzo420West
As well if someone could kinda guide me the difference in sound between the humbucker type EMG pickup and the single coil type on like a stratocaster.

different designs. both pickups use a weak magnet and a preamp in the design, but they are different sizes and have different outputs because of that.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Can't speak from experience, but the Mesa Mark V is supposedly phenomenal.
Love the title, by the way
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
Quote by AgentOrange...
The EMG HZ's are not amazing IMO, but tbh I wouldn't recommend EMG 81/85 either. They do sound better than the HZ's but IMO are too generic, too thin/sterile sounding, and really only good for metal, and even then, I like a more organic tone. I'd say, if you have the cash, get yourself nice new guitar, or if you want high output pickups, I'd look to bareknuckle.

As for the difference between humbuckers and single coils, a humbucker is effectively two single coils together. Single coils generally have lower output, nicer clean sounds, but aren't generally recommended for high gain. Humbuckers have a chunkier sound, less hum, and respond to high gain better.

I personally run all my guitars with 81/85 EMG's but instead of running them as a 9V config, i run them at 18V and they are definately not thin sounding.
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld

Pics of the ex too

This.
My suggestion would be a Splawn QuickRod. It'll cover all of the bands you listed except maybe Pantera. New they're right at $2g. 100 watts but switchable to 50. It does Marshall better than Marshall! Probably not as versatile as a Mark V or Roadster, but definitely better tone quality than a JCM900 or 6505. I'd take the QR's tone quality over those Mesas too.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
My suggestion would be a Splawn QuickRod. It'll cover all of the bands you listed except maybe Pantera. New they're right at $2g. 100 watts but switchable to 50. It does Marshall better than Marshall! Probably not as versatile as a Mark V or Roadster, but definitely better tone quality than a JCM900 or 6505. I'd take the QR's tone quality over those Mesas too.

Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by ibanez_guru

i agree - it would do pantera just fine if you fubar'd the eq enough.
(a QR would be a great choice IMO).

so would a used soldano hot rod 50+ and a good 212 cab.

that would be well under $2k and sorted nicely.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would recommend a head and a cab. Why? More sound options and easier to lug around IMO

Which ones?

^+1 on the Soldano Hot Rod 50+
Mesa Mark IV or V
Splawn Quickrod or even the Nitro maybe.
Marshall Vintage Modern
My fav: Mesa Royal Atlantic Easy to use, power soak options and AWESOME TONE very versatile amp !

BTW, If you liked the Roadster get it, it's a nice amp too.

Edit: for the guy saying the EMG's 81 & 85 are thin sounding. WHAAAAAT??????

I have a LTD Viper 500 with those pickups and it's a THICK sounding guitar with a lot of body. What it does best is Metal, yes; but it also performs really well for blues, hard rock and the ska-latin I'm playing right now. If you don't like them that's a whole different story, we all have different tastes and that's a great thing

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Mar 30, 2012,