I am a metal/hard rock player who loves to play Fender guitars (with humbuckers, mind you) because of their simple, bare-bones feel. This seems to be looked down upon for the most part, and I was just wondering who else loves Fender guitars for a harder rock sound?
Originally posted by supersac
mmh no one has seen god...
no one has seen your penis...
...YOUR PENIS MUST BE GOD!
many thousands of professional and amateur guitarists the world over.

On a similar note, Who loves playing wooden guitars? I know I do
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
i have a fender blacktop. its nice. but fender really need some 7 strings. i mean, they brought out jim root signatures so why not 7 strings?!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
i have a fender blacktop. its nice. but fender really need some 7 strings. i mean, they brought out jim root signatures so why not 7 strings?!

What would that headstock look like? haha
Originally posted by supersac
mmh no one has seen god...
no one has seen your penis...
...YOUR PENIS MUST BE GOD!
Honestly, I love my crappy Squire practice guitar for some heavy distortion playing. Bridge HB and I'm good to go.
Iron Maiden?
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by mitchgosche2011

they could do a 70s style big headstock! i know many heavy players that play fenders now a days anyway, the guitarist for the devil wears prada uses a fender mustang/jaguar!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Play whatever you want with whatever you want. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.
I'm a huge fan of Fender and enjoy playing high gain with my HSS Strat.
Hell, I even like high gain tones with singlecoils.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The other guitarist in my 'band' plays a Fender and he sounds pretty good. I use a carved top though, just prefer it.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by mitchgosche2011
I am a metal/hard rock player who loves to play Fender guitars (with humbuckers, mind you) because of their simple, bare-bones feel. This seems to be looked down upon for the most part, and I was just wondering who else loves Fender guitars for a harder rock sound?

Me, I traded my Schecter 006 Elite off for a Fender Standard strat and it has a Seymour Duncan SHR1-N hot rails in the bridge. I love the tone im getting from it more than the schecter.
Quote by mitchgosche2011

It would look like this...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by hames jetfield
Iron Maiden?

John 5?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Jim Root from Slipknot as well.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Ummm... yes.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Minivirus2
Honestly, I love my crappy Squier practice guitar for some heavy distortion playing. Bridge HB and I'm good to go.

Yes. This is me. We might be long lost brothers Minivirus2
+1 from me, iron maiden, sepultura, ritchie blackmore, many more

if you count yngwie as a metal player then sure

i believe i read somewhere that tony iommi's backup guitar was the sg... a backup to a strat. i think wicked world (the track) was recorded with said strat
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
As are G&L. (Jerry Cantrell's brand of choice.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 30, 2012,
i play metal with SSS strats all the time. now of course these types of threads never really seem to define what the OP thinks is metal. plenty of 70s and early 80s metal was done on strats. tons of metal was done with superstrats which are pretty much the same as a regular fender but with at least one humbucker. obviously the guitar style really doesn't matter.
Quote by monwobobbo
i play metal with SSS strats all the time.

A while back I posted a review on a SSS strat copy and said it in that it worked great for metal. In less than 15 minutes I had about 20 people bashing me telling me that single coils could not do metal.

If that was true then what was I playing

What is this guy playing then?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OySY8N4kgoQ&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLrc7rwoqrED9hgBl5z6WKtQ

and this, is this not metal?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPsSgEE7ME&feature=relmfu

And does that mean that I was not in fact playing Drowning Pool on a SSS strat on my youtube channel?
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Mar 30, 2012,
Just do a YouTube search for "Strat" + "metal" and maybe "can't", and you'll get a mother lode of videos showing people playing metal on Strats.

I regret selling my Strat two years ago. I still haven't found a guitar that works quite as well with the Fuzz Factory for some Mastodon-style tones.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
imo telecasters can sound absolutely brilliant for metal. i think the only reason people don't rate them as metal guitars is because they look like cowboy guitars
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
imo telecasters can sound absolutely brilliant for metal. i think the only reason people don't rate them as metal guitars is because they look like cowboy guitars

back in the early 80s there were a couple of metal bands (NWOBHM) that used teles to great effect. Vardis and Raven . i saw Raven in 83 (with some band called Metallica opening ) and the guitar player played a tele and a strat for the whole show. the All For One album was recorded mainly with teles and a strat on a couple of songs great album check it out.

in the 70s and early 80s you could find strats (and the occasional tele) all over what was considered metal at the time (once metal always metal in my book, yes it's gotten heavier over time but wasn't that goal to begin with). KK Downing used one in Judas Priest often on their early albums (Sinner comes to mind) and Tony Iommi started out with one as well (see Wicked World from the 1st Sabbath album). for modern metal i freely admit that a SSS strat isn't the best choice but there is more to metal than the down tuned stuff that is currently popular.
Yes, I agree with you. I use a Fender Strat for metal, despite criticism from some people here. I find that I like the sound and the guitar is easy to play. Also a lot of people like Dave Murray from Iron Maiden uses a Strat and I don't think anyone would criticise him for playing a Strat. Right?

ron666