So I borrowed a 15W Frontman and fell in love with it's dirty channel (I dunno what people have against it - it's lots of fun) and got to thinking if turning the distortion channel circuit into a stompbox would be possible...

Anyway, what I'm really looking forward to is that specific crunchy, buzzy fuzz-like tone. Does anybody know of an existing pedal/schematic that has a similar sound?

Thanks everyone
I'd start with a ds-1 and do some modding

the dirty sound you'd be getting from a 15w frontman is like you said, pretty buzzy and fuzzy, so a modded ds-1 seems like a safe place to start. what amp are you playing through right now though?
this is from the frontman15 schematic, slightly modified for putting into a pedal

your main issue will be that the FM runs it at 30V (+/-15V) and pedals generally run on 9V so it will sound a little different but generally should be the same, if you were looking for the FM15 circuit exactly

EDIT: actually it looks like an interesting circuit for an effect, may have to try it out
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by pinheadslts75
Just pick a random metal distortion pedal out of a bargain.

Yeah um, not doing that was kinda the point though

Quote by james4
I'd start with a ds-1 and do some modding

what amp are you playing through right now though?

What kind of modding would you suggest? I'm a noob here.

I'm running through a Randall RH100, but I hate it's sound. I use it mostly like a speaker, controlling my tone through fx and a GT-10.

Quote by GABarrie
this is from the frontman15 schematic, slightly modified for putting into a pedal

Awesome, thanks! I got the original schematic from Fender's site, what kind of mods are made in this? Like I said, noob here.
Last edited by kampfgolem at Mar 29, 2012,
well, the 1M wiper at the front (wiper meaning going to ground) gives it input impedance and helps prevent pop when switching on or off. the capacitor in the amp is a much larger value unneeded for a pedal and I swapped it's position with the resistor so you don't get a current divider (two resistors dividing current to two different directions).

Obviously I also took the switch out the middle, and then added a cap after the second opamp stage, you could also put a 1k resistor between the second op-amp stage and the 4.7u cap to help filter noise.

I have a pedal power supply that kicks out 9V and 18V so I would run it on an 18V supply and run the opamp at +/-9V but aside from that run it at 9V, connect pin 8 to 9V and pin 4 to ground
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I've done this with the frontman 25r od channel. It's a bit different but it made a great pedal. I powered it with +\- 4.5v (obtainable from a single 9v battery. Required some changes to the feedback resistors though. I also gave it a second gain pot. Very interactive.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Mar 31, 2012,
Just thought I'd chime in here, +/- 4.5v or center biasing your input should both (theoretically) have the same result. You could also use an NE555 timer or a ICL7660 to produce a negative voltage to run +9/-8v for more headroom.

I also recently found a layout creator that is simple, but helpful (linked to in the bottom). That way you don't have to use paper and pencil (how I used to) to do your layout. It's not the greatest program (you can only undo once), but it is really helpful for simple projects that I don't want to open AutoCAD for.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/DIY-Layout-Creator.shtml
Quote by kampfgolem
So I borrowed a 15W Frontman and fell in love with it's dirty channel (I dunno what people have against it - it's lots of fun) and got to thinking if turning the distortion channel circuit into a stompbox would be possible...

Anyway, what I'm really looking forward to is that specific crunchy, buzzy fuzz-like tone. Does anybody know of an existing pedal/schematic that has a similar sound?

Thanks everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JNf7FWjvFU
obvious troll is obvious
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence