Poll: Out of these 4, who do you think is the best bass player?
Poll Options
View poll results: Out of these 4, who do you think is the best bass player?
Steve Harris
9 39%
Cliff Burton
8 35%
Geezer Butler
6 26%
David Ellefson
0 0%
Voters: 23.
See, here's the thing: you can't really compare those bassists apples-to-apples and say "Who's the best?" They're all experts in the playing style they have, and those styles are unique to each of them. Cliff's the best at lead bass playing, Geezer's the best at playing a heavy groove, Steve's best at composing and playing rhythmic bass lines, and David's best at playing technical lines with a pick. And like fenderstrat said, they're all just in one genre. There's even more diversity when you go into other genres of music. For example, Jaco in jazz, Donald "Duck" Dunn in blues, Larry Graham in funk... the list goes on.
I've been told bassists get women all over the place...

LIES!! ALL LIES!!
Quote by Bassy-Justice
See, here's the thing: you can't really compare those bassists apples-to-apples and say "Who's the best?" They're all experts in the playing style they have, and those styles are unique to each of them. Cliff's the best at lead bass playing, Geezer's the best at playing a heavy groove, Steve's best at composing and playing rhythmic bass lines, and David's best at playing technical lines with a pick. And like fenderstrat said, they're all just in one genre. There's even more diversity when you go into other genres of music. For example, Jaco in jazz, Donald "Duck" Dunn in blues, Larry Graham in funk... the list goes on.

I would expect no less from someone named bassy-justice
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by fenderstrat6485
They're all just rock/metal guitarists...if you want real bass music, you gotta listen to some Weather Report or Stanley Clarke.

Or even just some solid funk. Stevie Wonder perhaps. I agree though. I saw Return to Forever, and Stanley Clarke took the insanest upright solo I have ever seen. He got multiple standing ovations mid solo, and played faster and cleaner than Al could during his solo.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Though I'm a big fan of Cliff, Steve's parts have more groove.

GRAY RAINBOW