Page 1 of 2
Today is my birthday, and my dad is thinking of getting me a new amp. Our price range is 300 or lower, any suggestions what i should get? I mostly play hard rock and metal ( like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth etc...) but i sometimes play softer music ( like The Beatles) and rock ballads.
Last edited by comeee at Mar 31, 2012,
300 what? I assume £ or USD.

Go used, get a Peavey Classic 30. And a Bad Monkey if you can.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Seriously, what is it with members here recommending the Classic 30 for anything metal?

Used Peavey Ultra combos go for under $300 used. And if you are willing to stretch your budget a bit, Peavey XXX combo.
a peavey classic 30 wont get nearly enough distortion. what about a Jet City JCA20H or JCA2112 combo?
Hence the Bad Monkey. Though I've played death metal on a Delta Blues. The Classic 30 can get into Megadeth territory easy enough. The Ultra is great for heavier stuff, and cleans. I've got one. But it can't pull off a really good crunch.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Hence the Bad Monkey. Though I've played death metal on a Delta Blues. The Classic 30 can get into Megadeth territory easy enough.
Sure, if you boost the hell out of it you can get to death metal distortion, but it will sound like rotten runny pig vomit.

My dad used to own the Delta Blues. I wouldn't recommend that thing for ANY form of metal (personally I wouldn't even recommend it for anything considering there are better options for the price); distortion is FAR too loose for that territory.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Sure, if you boost the hell out of it you can get to death metal distortion, but it will sound like rotten runny pig vomit.

My dad used to own the Delta Blues. I wouldn't recommend that thing for ANY form of metal (personally I wouldn't even recommend it for anything considering there are better options for the price); distortion is FAR too loose for that territory.

Yeah, about the Delta Blues, it sounded quite shitty. But it was what was available at the rehearsal place.

TS didn't ask for death metal distortion. He asked for '70/'80s sound.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
I dont play death metal at all, so I dont need that kind of heavy sound. The heaviest song i play is master of puppets i think or some megadeth song.
Last edited by comeee at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by AtaBorMan
TS didn't ask for death metal distortion. He asked for '70/'80s sound.
Distortion isn't all the issue. You don't need a shit-ton of gain for playing any metal at all, it just needs to be tight and "hold together."

That's just what the Classic 30's distortion doesn't do: hold together. It's extremely loose and muddy and sounds like shit with all forms of metal, especially thrash.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Distortion isn't all the issue. You don't need a shit-ton of gain for playing any metal at all, it just needs to be tight and "hold together."

That's just what the Classic 30's distortion doesn't do: hold together. It's extremely loose and muddy and sounds like shit with all forms of metal, especially thrash.

I disagree, but oh well. TS should try them all and form his own opinion.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
I guess i can try all of them, but in the city i live there are only 3 guitar shops, and i am not sure if they sell used ones. Are there any good amps that are not used under 300 dollars?
Quote by comeee
Are there any good amps that are not used under 300 dollars?

If you're going to gig, pretty much no.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Just to pickup on this, you don't need a knew amp...

You need a new one.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
Quote by AtaBorMan
If you're going to gig, pretty much no.

I am not really going to a gig, I am only 13 , but I want an amp that is good enough for a school talent show, but not a huge amp.

Quote by AgentOrange...
Just to pickup on this, you don't need a knew amp...

You need a new one.

I know i messed up, i was typing very rapidly
Last edited by comeee at Mar 29, 2012,
Try every amp you can find in your price range. And remember that name brand has better resale value for future upgrades. Look for a fender excelsior, maybe
Look at Jet City. The JCA20H or Combo is around 300 bucks. There aren't many other new amps in that price range that will compete. There is also a 2 channel version out now with an effects loop, the model name escapes me at the moment though.
in my experience, the peavey classic gets more gain and is better for metal than the jca amps. i read somewhere that the classic 30 isnt that far off from a valveking. however, i personally prefer the jcas slightly less saturated tone.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by J_W
Look at Jet City. The JCA20H or Combo is around 300 bucks. There aren't many other new amps in that price range that will compete. There is also a 2 channel version out now with an effects loop, the model name escapes me at the moment though.

you're thinking of the JCA22H
Quote by TheDuckMajor
you're thinking of the JCA22H

Yes, I want one to replace my JCA20H. I need two channels and the effects loop would also be awesome.
I just bought a Line 6 Spider IV15 for 100$.
I really love it, I don't really know how it suits your preferences.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
Quote by ThrashUnleashed
I just bought a Line 6 Spider IV15 for 100$.
I really love it, I don't really know how it suits your preferences.

It doesn't. Lets leave it at that.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by yope
I don't mean to be that guy, but if you're trying to get a new amp for 300 dollars there isn't much that will impress you... my first amp was 300 bucks (a Line 6 Spider III 30) and, honestly, there isn't much else in that range that is much different in terms of tone. I suppose if you're hellbent on getting a new amp at 300, your best bets are the Peavey Vypyr 75W or something from the Roland Cube line. Also, it's small but tube so the Blackstar HT-1R 1W will provide good tone and might be able to get the OD you need. The Blackstar will definitely have the best tone in the price range but it won't be big enough or powerful to do anything but play in your room...

my personal verdict: go used or save more otherwise, in the long run, you'll be let down. Save another couple hundred if you can and you can really start getting into legitimate amps that'll last you a long long time and have the headroom to play gigs as well. For example, I got my 5150 2x12 combo for around 600 and I'll probably have it for a very long time. If you can go used, the rewards are great.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Wut?

That is all that came to mind when trying to explain the feeling that your reply gave me.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by yope
Quote by ThrashUnleashed
That is all that came to mind when trying to explain the feeling that your reply gave me.

But why did you reply to your own comment?
Quote by TheDuckMajor
But why did you reply to your own comment?

Damn, I'm confused right now.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by yope
I was thinking of getting Line 6 Spider IV 75, is that any good?
I think that some folks here are selling the Classic 30 short. It's not perfect or anything, but it's not terrible either. This band's entire album was recorded with only a Classic 30 used for the guitars:

http://www.vilifi.net/music
Quote by comeee

I have an IV, except it's only 15 watts.
But yeah, it's great.

Edit: But yeah, it's great as a practice amp. I got it cheap and it's good enough to just keep on hand for practicing; I don't really play plugged in much anyway.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by yope
Last edited by ThrashUnleashed at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by ThrashUnleashed
I have an IV, except it's only 15 watts.
But yeah, it's great.

No it isn't...
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
The line 6 spider IV sucks compared to the stuff that we've recommded and it's not much louder either cos tube amps are much louder than SS amps.
Go used! You will find much better amps to fit your price range. I haven't liked any digital amps (but my Roland Microcube that was decent as my first amp ) I have tried (Spider and Valvetronix that both sounded boring). What amp do you have at the moment? You could sell it so you had more money to spend. But really, go used! You can find amps for half of their original price like I did. My Laney VC30 cost only €280 (it's €630 new). It's over 10 years old but whatever, it works just fine. You don't need all those built in effects and other digital crap. Built in effects often sound weak and just raise the price of the amp. And so do amp models. Because I know you are going to use only two sound types: clean and distortion (maybe some Marshall kind of sound). You don't need 10 amp models for that. You need a two-channel (analog) amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by comeee
Line 6 Spiders are absolute garbage, and ThrashUnleashed is an idiot; don't listen to him.

I mean, they're good as beginner amps because their straightforward and easy to use for someone with little to no guitar experience, but they sound excessively fake and digital and sound like shit. Just search any shitty guitar cover by some kid on Youtube who's using a Spider to hear what they sound like. The distortion just has that distinct, horridly shrill buzz that you can't get rid of.

Much better suggestions have been given in this whole thread, look into them.
Yeah, don't listen to me.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by yope
Page 1 of 2