Page 1 of 2
Have you any family that served in ww2?
Both my Grandads served in ww2 one lied about his age to join the royal engineers and served in Italy. The other was a 'desert rat' and served in Africa but thats all i know. My grandma was a nurse throughout the war. Im just interested in hearing what they did etc.
inb4 "My grandfather died in a concentration camp. He fell out of a guard tower."
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm directly related to Nurse Edith Cavell. She was a famous nurse in WWI. She has like 5 different statues of her around the world. She was executed by a german firing squad after she was accused of being a spy.
My grandpa was a tank driver. We still have his nazi knife he found during his time in Europe. Pretty cool heirloom thingy.
My uncle Sam (yes, I'm serious) who was in the Marines fought against Japan, but I can't remember where he was stationed. He did tell me this story about how he was on patrol with one of his friends and then all of a sudden his friend got shot. Fucking scary.
My dad's dad didn't talk much about the war. I do know he was at Monte Cassino, which might well explain that.
My mum's dad was with the Black Watch as part of the BEF. According to his paybook, he left France on the last day of the evacuation from Dunkirk. He got shifted into one of the other battallions, and ended up back in France on D-Day, though as far as we can tell, the beach was pretty well secure, so no Saving Private Ryan stuff there.
My great grandfather served in the desert rats in north africa in ww2, although I dont know any details about his time in the army. My other great grandfather served in the first world war but again I dont know much about him.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
My great grandpa was in WWII. He never talked about any of it though, can't say i blame him either. I do know he was in Italy. He passed a few years ago back in '06. I respected him more than anyone else in my family, and i miss him greatly.
Last edited by IronTallicaDeth at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by ErikLensherr
inb4 "My grandfather died in a concentration camp. He fell out of a guard tower."

lol mein died when he was patrolling and some asshole fell out of the guard tower onto him lololol
My great uncle trained divebomber pilots in the states, my grandma was a nurse, and my grandpa was an engineer
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

My grandfather fled to the Netherlands when they summoned every grown-up for the war, smart mothafocka he was or he would've been dead 60 years early.

His father fought in the first war though, got many medals. I have one but I don't know what kind it is...
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
One of my grandfathers was in the navy in WW2. We've never really talked about it. On a slightly unrelated note, my godfather was in a concentration camp. He's shared stories, and they are not pretty.
Quote by Saint78
Dude you haven't lived until you've licked chocolate pudding out of a fat ladies back boob.

Quote by Boer Goat
I have never given a golf stack

Congratulations sir.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
lol mein died when he was patrolling and some asshole fell out of the guard tower onto him lololol

I know this wasn't intentional but it's so goddamn funny in this context
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by CrimsonBizzare

My dad once got pissed in the Gestapo officers mess at Belsen several times.
True story.

Actually is true, because while he was RMO with the 13th/18th, they had their officers mess there while part of the BAOR.
One of my grandpa's fought in WWII. He died when I was really young, so I never met him. My dad said all that he said about the war was that he robbed way too many children of a father. He handled machine gun turrets, that's all I really know.
It was in WW1 but I thought it was worth a mention...

My great grandfather was shot in the chest and broke his jaw...he survived like a badass.
Guitars:

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster

Epiphone Les Paul 100

Amplifier:

Marshall AVT 100

Effects:

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

EHX Big Muff Pi
My grandpa on my Dad's side was in the air force, he only refueled planes and didn't get into any combat (that I'm aware of.) He was stationed in Great Britain while the german Air force was bombing them though. My other Grandpa was a tail gunner, flew around in a B-52 (no rock lobsters though). His plane got shot down over german territory, none of them died but they all got captured and did 2 years in prison camp. He told me they used to make makeshift grenades and try and tunnel out and shit, he had some really interesting stories. And I know what you mean IronTallicaDeth, he passed away a few years ago and I respect him more than anyone I've ever known.
On my mom's side, my grandpa was infantry in the Pacific. Got a Silver Star and Combat Landing Badges in Luzon and Guadalcanal before getting shipped home with a Purple Heart after taking some shrapnel in the arm at the Manila Hospital in the Philippines.

On my dad's side, my grandpa test-flew Corsairs for the navy when they were being designed.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
from what i heard my grandmother spent most of the time hiding under tables because of bombings. (apparently Hitler was pissed of at belgium for not letting his army march through belgium to get to france.)

and my grandfather fled to a small church somewhere in france hiding from the germans to avoid being sent to work in german weapon factories.

about the other 2 i don't know they never wanted to talk about it.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
My granddad served in Korea. I don't really know anyone that served in WW2.
Yeah
My......family relationship (I think he was my grandfathers brother...or cousin, one or the other) was killed in WW2 in Italy

My Grandfather served in Africa if I remember correctly

Have to admit, probably one of the better UG topics in the pit

EDIT:
On my mothers side my grandfather served in the D-Day landings, he was chinese....so I don't really know whether he fought in one of them single race battalions etc.
xD
He died before I could remember him
I know what people mean when they say that the respect their family members
My mum still has the american flag that was given at his funeral
Last edited by Highelf04 at Mar 29, 2012,
My mum's family are from Germany, so my grandfathers both fought on opposite sides of WW2. At my parents' wedding they both did speeches in the other language.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
nah, my one grandfather served in bomb disposal during Korea though. he saw people get blown up and melted and shit.
Quote by bad news bear
i was hoping some german pitmonkeys would post

Mein grandVater kämpfte in der deutschen Armee trotz seiner zwei gebrochenen Beinen und geschient

Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by bad news bear
Have you any family that served in ww2?

both grandfathers

one turned into a **** and died early after getting back

the other came back in a wheel chair and became a severe alcoholic

he obviously seen some ****ed up stuff he wouldnt talk much and when he did it was hard to understand

war
Great-grandpa was a kriegsmarine. F*ck yeah!

...I really feel bad about saying that as I'm totally against the horrors caused by the Third Riech. At least I know my great-grandpa never did any of that work.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Mar 29, 2012,
My grandfather lied about his age to get into the military, and was trained as a tank operator. WWII ended before he could actually go anywhere, though.
My Great-Uncle Mike served as a Newfoundlander in the Canadian Navy. At some point during the war, they captured a German U-Boat and took all its occupants prisoner. But being mostly Newfoundlanders and a few Canadians (as they were separate nations until 1949), they lived up to the hospitality and kindness us bunch are known for, and treated all their prisoners really well. They played cards with them, traded family pictures, gave them decent food, the whole lot. One of them even spoke English pretty well, and talked quite a bit with Mike on the trip from the capture point in the Atlantic over to Britain, about their homes, their families, their jobs, etc.

This particular German prisoner liked the attitude of his captors and their description of Newfoundland so much, he moved there with his family after the war. It wasn't until several years after the war had ended that Uncle Mike was walking on a sidewalk downtown, and saw the German man whom he had spent so much time with on that boat years ago. After verifying if they were really meeting each other again, they caught up and conversed, introduced each other to their families, and became best of friends. The German's name was Dieter Staubitzer, and he and Mike remained best friends until Mike died in the early 1990's.

Crazy story huh?
(Invalid img)
Nah, I'm from Sweden. We've always been too important to take part in any silly continent war. ololol at wars.

We just made a fortune at all the poor countries afterwards. lol france

Thank you Germany however, we owe you one.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Neither of my grandfathers grandmothers were but they were stuck in the conflict in Hong Kong, then, occupied by Japan. My grandmother on my fathers side was made an orphan at age 11-12 when she witnessed her parents get murdered by Japanese Soldiers (before she met my grandfather). Until 16, she apparently lived off eating leaves. That's all I know about her past. Beyond that, she doesn't really talk about anything else.

I know nothing of my grandparents from my mothers side except that they owned a bakery.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Grandfather on my father's side failed the medical exam due to poor hearing while my mother's father was a pacifist and gladly accepted working on his parents farm instead.

That said, Great-uncle on my father's side was an Engineer in the Canadian Forces. He was there for the D-Day landings (Juno Beach), fought through France, and helped liberate Holland after Operation Marketgarden failed.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Mar 29, 2012,
All of my grandfathers, I believe (two blood and two married in.) My father's father was a corpsman (medic) for the US Navy and worked his way through Italy
My God, it's full of stars!
My father's entire family was from the island of Föhr. Two of his cousins were drafted into the German army about a month before the war ended. They were both dead within two weeks. They had no concept of what the Nazis were doing.

It's a bit of a sore spot to live in the US and have relatives who fought on the wrong side. So it goes..
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Mar 29, 2012,
My grandson was in the infantry.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
My nonno lived through the war in Italy. He was pretty much locked in the country before he even realized what was really going on, plus he was really young. He came here once the war was over, and outgoing ports were unlocked. He came here when he was 17 I think. My nonna, also Italian, came here before the war, when she was like 5 or something.
Quote by metalblaster
My nonno lived through the war in Italy. He was pretty much locked in the country before he even realized what was really going on, plus he was really young. He came here once the war was over, and outgoing ports were unlocked. He came here when he was 17 I think. My nonna, also Italian, came here before the war, when she was like 5 or something.

nonno evolves into nidorino or what is a nonno? grandfather?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
nonno evolves into nidorino or what is a nonno? grandfather?

nonno is grandfather and nonna is grandmother
Page 1 of 2