So yeah, mate of a mate has an Engl Powerball and feels the need to tell me yet again how crap my Roland Micro cube is :S anyway, I know it's not the best amp in the world, but for it's size it's not bad and it's received decent reviews even here on UG.

So I was thinking, for the same moniez that would afford an Engl Powerball, I could buy 16 Roland Micro cubes and link them all up in a 4x4 wall. 16x2watts coming out of 16x5" speakers LOL. Could it beat the Engl Powerball at anything?

On an experimental level, what interesting stuff could you come up with? An ultra bright clean tone maybe? What about the distortion? :') Heavier chorus and delay effects perhaps?
^Not sure if troll... or asking some very weird stuff..

Anyhow, Micro Cube is nice for practicing, but that's pretty much as far as it goes. Powerball is a whole another story.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

In short, no. Cube is a good practice/beginner amp but a Powerball will eat one for breakfast, and adding another 15 cubes will just give you the same average tone, but a shitload louder.

In terms of experimental stuff, I tend to do some weird stuff with a wah. I've gotten almost bitcrusher like sounds with wah, boost and a fuzz. I also do a lot of strange things with excessive levels of delay and reverb, but a lot of people do similar things.
Buying 16 meh amps for the price of one good amp sounds like a pretty stupid idea.

I wanna see it though.
REGGIE
what was that quote from the video of the 600 watt crate amp, something like, Crate, making shitty tone louder since 199 something. yeah, same effect.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Create a kickstarter-project for it and get it done.
It'll be just like someone earlier said, shitty tone extremely loud...but I'd pay to see this!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Would be a laugh.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Shor
Create a kickstarter-project for it and get it done.
It'll be just like someone earlier said, shitty tone extremely loud...but I'd pay to see this!

If they were all set to different gains/models it might sound pretty good
It's not a troll thread I'm being serious but with a sense of humour. As in I'm just curious.

Would it really be just more of the same? I don't think it's as simple as that. You're adding more wattage and more speakers could alter the sound. It could make it beefier and better. The fact you now have multiple speakers means you have a more stereo sound. Well I'm guessing; I don't know much about how stereo and mono works.

Never heard of Kickstarter until today, thanks. Sounds awesome. It's only available in the US though so I found a UK based one called crowdfunder.co.uk. I'd have to come up with a good idea of what to do with 16 Roland Micro Cubes though lol. Maybe a very unique amp review for youtube lol.
Quote by NeXEkho

Nice thinking. If they were set on different models then there'd be a natural chorus effect as though an orchestra of different guitars were playing the same tune lol. Would be interesting to keep the same model for all the amps but then put the tone knob in a different position for every amp. That would make for a pretty dominant guitar tone with all the beef of the low end and the bright sparkle of the high end.

Also, you would be able to achieve combinations of effects that wasn't possible with just 1 micro cube Reverb and delay share the same knob so I could have 8 on reverb and 8 on delay.
Last edited by BadBanshee at Mar 30, 2012,
Have you considered tone degradation from splitting your signal 16 times? I don't think you can do it more than 3 times reliably.

Also 16 times the crushin overdrive doesn't mean 16 times better tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Your friends' friend sounds like a tool. Of course his $1700 fireball is gonna destroy your $250 cube. Hey look, my Ferrari is faster than your Camry!
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by NeXEkho

+1

Ive always wanted to hear what quad amping or more would sound like, but sadly even the Axe Fx only allows 2 at once....
that's a bit like buying 16 tents instead of a house, i imagine. or 16 matchbox toys instead of a car.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's a bit like buying 16 tents instead of a house, i imagine. or 16 matchbox toys instead of a car.

Actually, it's more like buying 1000 tents instead of a house, or about 20000 matchbox toys instead of a car!
I'd also support any of the above if someone is interested in building a proper house from 1000 tents or a car from 20000 matchbox toys and then comparing them to the real thing!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by ragingkitty
Have you considered tone degradation from splitting your signal 16 times? I don't think you can do it more than 3 times reliably.

It would take a specialized preamp to do 1 in 16 out, but there are people here who could build it.

I think it's an interesting idea and would love to see it done just for the sake of experiment, but it's not practical on any level.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Only one way to find out.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
you wouldn't get the low end beef you think you would. In the end it would be too gainy and muddy. do it though.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Some other things: yes you'd need to build a preamp box and lots of cables so I'd cut one maybe two amps off.
If I were you, I would take each micro cube, cut out the amp section out of the box, and connect each pair of amps to a proper 212 stereo cab. Then the result might just sound nice.

With a 5;; speaker, the result would be painful.
Quote by Dave_Mc

that.

it's still like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

ok it's like bringing 16 knives, and the dude with the engl has one cannon.

best of luck to you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 30, 2012,
Turn on the delay of the perimeter cubes, then tap tempo slightly later on each one and you'll get a swirling sound that will crush the powerball.
Quote by gregs1020
that.

best of luck to you.

yeah

Quote by coolstoryangus
do it

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 30, 2012,
Quote by gregs1020
that.

best of luck to you.

I see youve never played counterstrike. It is deeply humiliating to have a rifle and yet get knifed by someone who refuses to stay still
Quote by GS LEAD 5
If I were you, I would take each micro cube, cut out the amp section out of the box, and connect each pair of amps to a proper 212 stereo cab. Then the result might just sound nice.

With a 5;; speaker, the result would be painful.

So you would still get the 16x2watt=32watt power that way?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I see youve never played counterstrike. It is deeply humiliating to have a rifle and yet get knifed by someone who refuses to stay still

i has mad knife skillz at COD. still, i'd rather have a gun wouldn't you?

Quote by BadBanshee

no you have 2 watts.

no matter how many 2 watt amps you have.

take a 1000 of them.

still have 2 watts.

and the engl has balls the size of watermelons.
Quote by BadBanshee

Not really.

But it will be a lot louder, if I remember how constructive interference works.....

@Anyone who knows ow it works- two waves with the same wavelength and amplitude when superimposed perfectly results in a wave thats got 4x more amplitude than either original right?

So 16 2W amps should sound much louder than 32 watts, since the exact same wave is coming out of each speaker at the same time?

Quote by gregs1020
i has mad knife skillz at COD. still, i'd rather have a gun wouldn't you?

no you have 2 watts.

no matter how many 2 watt amps you have.

take a 1000 of them.

still have 2 watts.

and the engl has balls the size of watermelons.

Its still awesome to dodge that guy with a thermal scope and knife him
Quote by fly135
Turn on the delay of the perimeter cubes, then tap tempo slightly later on each one and you'll get a swirling sound that will crush the powerball.

Someone needs to do this now.
REGGIE
Give me your drugs. Now.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by BadBanshee
So yeah, mate of a mate has an Engl Powerball and feels the need to tell me yet again how crap my Roland Micro cube is :S

so he's a dick with a nice amp.

+311 to 311. i'm in at $3.75.
would be pretty awesome. Where am I gonna find microcubes on the cheap though?

What do u need to achieve that tap tempo effect?
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Take 'meh' tone and multiply it 16 times. You still get 'meh' tone, just a lot more of it.
16 tiny speakers isn't going to give you crushing lows. 2 12" speakers will sound a whole lot better for br00tz.

I seriously hope you deliver with a wall of microcubes
$3.80, not a penny more!

$3.81!
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Pics or it's an MG.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...

Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Flux'D
16 tiny speakers isn't going to give you crushing lows
Don't tell that to Dr Bose.
Pics or it's a two rock emarald.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by ragingkitty

finally somebody said this.

ding ding ding we have a winner.

go kitty!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/