Kinda confusing noobie question....some songs have the bass doing something completely different than the guitar, but in some songs, the bass just plays the same thing as the guitars...say like, a guitarist played a chord...would I play the fret that he plays on the E string on my E string to match his sound?
Short answer: yes, usually.

You need to know what the chord is usually, as the 'bass' note on the guitar may not be the root note.
If you know what the chord is you can then safely play root notes and/or improvise/fill to your heart's content.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
The easiest thing to play is to mirror the root note of the chords being played by the guitarist, but that is just a point to springboard from as you get better, etc.
Yes, you do copy the root note of the rhythm guitar, as for the other bass lines you say that don't follow the guitar, they are either improvising (through scales) or made the bass lines with the melody in their head that fits perfectly in the song (Also following the chords of the song)

GRAY RAINBOW

Okay, but as you can probably tell, im still very new to much of the technical terms and what not, is the root note the lowest note in a chord? for example say a guitar played..3rd fret E string, 2nd fret A string, 3rd fret D string, would the root note be 3rd fret E string on a bass? sorry, im self taught and havent had a teacher, but wanna learn.
Generally yes, but then inversions and compound chords, well... compounds the issue a tad

A chord has a root position, where the chord's root note is the bass note, the chord is said to be in normal form. An inversion is where a chord's root note is not it's bass note.
You should start looking at Chord structures especialy where a minor chord is used.
A primary triad is 1-3-5 ie C-E-G for C minor you flatten the 3rd Eb.
Get aweay from being a root note basher as soon as possible.
2/4 time two beats to a bar is often played 1-5 C up to G or inverted 1-4 C down to G.
Make bass interesting but not too busy and don't just bash root notes.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn