Hey guys. I was looking at the Black Star HT-5RH (I think) and it looks pretty cool and doesn't cost a ton. I'll be using it for playing at home since it's small. I have a line 6 Spider IV 15W that I'm currently using and it's alright, but its usually a bitch to deal with. I've also heard great things about Black Star amps so I figured that I'd get that one. Can anyone tell me about it?

EDIT: I mostly play metal but I also use the clean channel a lot and so far the amp sounds pretty sick from the videos I've watched. Also, can I connect a bigger cab to it if I want to gig with it? Right now I use my Spider for my band practices and it works, but I usually use our bassist's Spider IV 75W since I let our rhythm player use mine (He has a really small MG, which sucks). The other reason why I'm not blowing a lot of money on an amp is because it'll take a while to save up that much and I'm also looking at new guitars.
Last edited by xShade at Mar 29, 2012,
It's an incredible amp IMO I have the combo version and haven't plugged it into an external cab yet but for 500$ including tax one of the best amps you can get for the price, and it has enough distortion to handle 80's thrash stuff well, maybe not avenged sevenfold or whatever you listen to but it does what I need it to do
Yeah, the built in overdrive channel will do the 80s metal pretty well, and I like the clean channel a ton too. You can get some heavier metal out of it if you throw an overdrive in front of the amp such as a tube screamer or a Maxon OD808 (my preference). I think a new HT-5 head is running just under $400, so I'd say go for it. It'll be a nice amp to practice with until you save up for a gigging amp.

Edit: But if you don't own a cab currently, you can connect the combo to an extension cab when you have one available as well.
Last edited by TremontiAddict at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by notaspy2009
It's an incredible amp IMO I have the combo version and haven't plugged it into an external cab yet but for 500$ including tax one of the best amps you can get for the price, and it has enough distortion to handle 80's thrash stuff well, maybe not avenged sevenfold or whatever you listen to but it does what I need it to do

Ah, okay. I play some Megadeth and Slayer so that's good. I have Boss Metal Zone pedal and it's pretty rad. The tone is great for a ton of styles especially the heavier stuff but I have also used it for stuff like A7X and Ozzy. It could be because I have only used it on my Spider but hopefully it sounds the same if not better on the Black Star.
I like overdrive pedals in front of the amp's main overdrive as a personal preference, but you can always try your Boss pedal in front of the amp and see how it sounds to you. I always thought some of the Boss pedals sounded a bit harsh, but it's all preference really.
Quote by xShade
Ah, okay. I play some Megadeth and Slayer so that's good. I have Boss Metal Zone pedal and it's pretty rad. The tone is great for a ton of styles especially the heavier stuff but I have also used it for stuff like A7X and Ozzy. It could be because I have only used it on my Spider but hopefully it sounds the same if not better on the Black Star.

Why would you buy a tube amp then use a distortion pedal on it? I used to have the same distortion pedal and after I got used to the ht-5 I never used it again and sold it because the overdrive on the ht-5 just dominates. But whatever floats your boat I guess.
And the clean channel is so ****ing godly its insane. I had to change my pants the first time I heard it...
If you're just playing at home, you might want to look at the 1W version. Trust me, the 5W version is friggin loud.

EDIT: To get the best metal sound out of the amp, I'd advise using a light overdrive pedal to boost it (e.g. Boss SD-1, Digitech Bad Monkey, Fulltone OCD etc...)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 30, 2012,
Quote by notaspy2009
Why would you buy a tube amp then use a distortion pedal on it? I used to have the same distortion pedal and after I got used to the ht-5 I never used it again and sold it because the overdrive on the ht-5 just dominates. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

yeah it's ridiculous to run a distortion pedal into an amp that basically already has one built into it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by notaspy2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBR0MiexrQ&feature=plcp&context=C4368459VDvjVQa1PpcFPaZuz9QZpgxMjIi29lrWscvfH0oGsjbIY%3D This is why you run an overdrive in front of an already overdriven amp. It's called boosting and gives you a shitload of preamp-gain.
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
Quote by xShade
Also, can I connect a bigger cab to it if I want to gig with it?

You can, but it won't be loud enough. I'd forget the cab, and just mic it.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
You can plug it into a cab, I have yet to do that because I have yet to get a cab and have yet to get a job. But if your gonna play a gig with it your gonna have to mic it. I played a small unmic'd gig at my school in the theatre and I had it at max volume and could barely hear myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?