Hello, everybody.

I'm trying to record my playing to a backing track, but I would like to have the guitar playing separately off the backing track (so I can mix/adjust it later).

So here is a little schema of what I tried to do.

The problem is that the headphone jack on the multi FX is wired to output, so the recording contains both tracks.

How can I avoid the spill and have only guitar signal on recording?

Thank y'all!!!
Well, the no-tech solution would be to throw the backing over earphones and the guitar over headphones and wear them on top of each other.
Open the backing track in Audacity, or whatever recording software you use. Then set the track to playback whilst recording. Then record your guitar on a separate track.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
WAY too complicated.

The best setup is simply running the guitar into the PC (using amp modelling software or the tone from your multi-fx if it's a modeller). Recording guitar over a track while hearing both the song and your guitar through headphones is a trivial task for even the most basic free recording suites.
Quote by kyle62
WAY too complicated.

The best setup is simply running the guitar into the PC (using amp modelling software or the tone from your multi-fx if it's a modeller). Recording guitar over a track while hearing both the song and your guitar through headphones is a trivial task for even the most basic free recording suites.

The problem is that I want the guitar signal separately from the backing track.
Quote by G-Dog_666
Open the backing track in Audacity, or whatever recording software you use. Then set the track to playback whilst recording. Then record your guitar on a separate track.

This is probably the simplest way for you. You'll get two tracks to edit, and Audacity isn't as complicated as some other DAWs.
It's not the problem of the software. It's just hardware: when I put track + bass into the headphones, the wires are connected and the signal gets mixed everywhere.

I wonder if a kind of "signal valve" exists (something that lets the signal go in one direction but not in the other)....
Quote by belzecat
The problem is that I want the guitar signal separately from the backing track.

Why do you want the signals separate? I don't understand. You get the same end result without all the hassle recording the way I suggested. You can even delete the backing track track from your DAW once you've recorded and save it separately.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Quote by belzecat
Two separate tracks are for EQ/volume adjustments

But they will be two separate tracks. Just set your PC to record line in, not PC out.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps: