I'm about to buy a Marshall DSL 100 for 500 euro. (650 dollar) but it doesn't have reverb anymore. the owner said he had taken it out because it didnt work anymore. i mostly play metal like metallica, system of a down, megadeth, and also clean stuff. i never had reverb and i dont know if its important? can you guy tell me if i should buy this amp?
It probably just needs a new tank.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Makes your sound and tone fuller. personally i always have some sort of reverb on. id make the guy drop the price sice you have to buy a new tank or a pedal for it.
MASTODON FTW
Not important in thrash where you want your tone to have an immediate attack.
I sold my DSL100 head for $600 US last year. It was in good condition and the reverb worked. Just for reference.

You can buy a really good reverb pedal for $100-$150 so keep that in mind.

Some people like reverb and others don't. You really won't know until you've tried it with and without.
You can always buy a pedal if you ever feel the need for reverb. Try talking a bit of the price though because of the lack of reverb, if you already haven't. Don't really know the value of a DSL.

Don't let him know you don't need it.
Quote by WtrPlyr
You can always buy a pedal if you ever feel the need for reverb. Try talking a bit of the price though because of the lack of reverb, if you already haven't. Don't really know the value of a DSL.

Don't let him know you don't need it.

he already said he minimum was 500 euro, and he keeps it that way... well i think im gonna buy it anyway... there arent any cheaper ones where i live...
I personally barely ever play with reverb. It's rarely necessary and people tend to use too much when playing live in my opinion, since they go for the 'thicker' tone which doesn't work with a full band.

Since you don't use it anyway I don't see a problem. Although get the 'broken' parts too if you can, since as others have said it's probably an easy fix.

EDIT: It's generally not used in thrash music much, either.
My stance would be if the Amp didn't already have reverb... No, I rather not have it on my Head. It had a tad more gain than the reverb model.

But as to your amp, yes I would replace it. If the amp was designed to be run with one installed, I would work to get one back in there.

I guess it's no huge deal either way...
The need for reverb very much depends on your style of playing. If you are playing heavy/thrash music, minimal if any will be needed as it will turn your guitar sound to mush. On the flipside, someone like myself who plays surf music, heavy use of reverb is pretty much mandatory to get the 'right' sound.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
I have an old Crate SS head that has a reverb tank that rattles when I play it. I'm going to pull it. All i need to do is to unplug a couple of 1/4" jacks and remove a few screws holding it in.

It'll be just as easy to put back in. The lack of the reverb tank shouldn't be a deal breaker.

If the amp sounds ok to you, and you like it, go for it.
I prefer the extended range and adjustabliity of a pedal-reverb anyway, plus the ability to turn it off and on with your foot.

I play death, black, and thrash metal and I almost always have the reverb off for my distortion tone, but it's on all the time for cleans. I've never heard an amp reverb sound as good as my Hall of Fame pedal either, for that matter.
Quote by KailM
I prefer the extended range and adjustabliity of a pedal-reverb anyway, plus the ability to turn it off and on with your foot.

I play death, black, and thrash metal and I almost always have the reverb off for my distortion tone, but it's on all the time for cleans. I've never heard an amp reverb sound as good as my Hall of Fame pedal either, for that matter.

This. The hall of fame is badass, although i assume the dsl reverb is like the tsl, and in my experience that was already decent for cleans (although there really wasn't loads of verb on it).
Malekko Spring Chicklet. You could mount it inside the headshell if you wanted to. You are only trying to replicate a spring - oh yeah, springs.
A brand new Accutronics reverb tank will cost you $20 or $30 on Ebay and what else could be faulty? They have an opamp driven reverb iirc. You just buy one and screw it in where the old one used to be, connect it up and you're all fixed. If it is something else, well at least you have a new tank if you ever decide to repair it. But what are the chances? Buy a tank.

At some stage what you should do anyway is buy a Quadraverb, make a little enclosure to sit on top of the amp and run it in the loop. Then you can crank the volume right up and pretend to be Gary Moore.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification