Budget? - $300-$700

Genres? - Nothing too heavy, but a good resonance is important. Bands that I play range from the Red Hot Chili Peppers to Iron Maiden. Decent clean.

New or Used? - Used if it's in like-new condition.

Home or Gig? - Home.

Closest City? -Wilmington Nc.

Current Gear? - At the moment I am playing a Les Paul knock off by Silvertone. It serves my needs pretty well, but I want something that is lighter, smaller, and has a thinner neck. As I mentioned earlier, I have have a horrible (50 watt?) peavy amp. As for effects, I have a digitech multi-fx board and a Zakk Wylde wah pedal.

My main goal is to upgrade to something that is smaller, thinner, has better sustain, and packs more of a punch (pickup wise).

Thank UG Community!
Last edited by Darthkp at Mar 30, 2012,
Have you considered getting an Ibanez or Jackson? They're in your price range and are light. Hope it helps
epi firebird studio. i have one and its a ****in beauty. the tuners on it never EVER slip and its light as a feather. has alnico classics which are good for cleans all the way up to some early era deicide or cannibal corpse (chris ****ing barnes). i picked mine up for 375 brand new but i think they run for 450 at bigger retailers. (got mine from a local shop thats why i got the disount.)
MASTODON FTW
PRS SE Santana. Ha ha! See, it's funny because it has a lot of midrange, and you said you wanted a MID-RANGE axe!

Also Firebirds are super great.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
How about a used Fender strat? They're not heavy, beautiful guitars with a nice tone for clean. If you want a new one, the Highway 1 series is not that expensive.
Check out some of the G&L Tribute series HSS Strats.

Here's a suggestions:
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/Legacy_HB/index.asp

Usually around $600 new.

This should cover the bases pretty well. Iron Maiden used HSS strats, as well as John Frusciante on many occasions. Very versatile guitar. Don't be scared off by the Made in Korea tag, because all Tribute series are actually made in the Cort guitar factory. It's not handmade, but it's quality CNC stuff.

Plus you'll get fantastic cleans with the MFD pickups.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 30, 2012,
Check out Indie guitars. Lots of nice reviews, a broad variety of models, and they also have their "orphanage" of guitars that are fully playable but have some cosmetic flaws. I've been asking about them- most of their orphans are going for less than $600.

Look at the Fernades Ravelle, used by guys like Dave Navarro and Reeves Gabrels. Somewhere in the $700s.

Consider DBZ guitars. Yes, some of the designs are over the top, but the Imperial is a beautiful double-cutaway that has gotten nice reviews and is supposedly as thin as an iPhone at the edge. Somewhere in the $700s.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 30, 2012,
See if you can find a Schecter C-1 Classic. I've seen them as low as 300 on eBay.
Schecter or LTD have some nice guitars in your price range.
You're probably going to be well off with a PRS/HSS Strat or an S-Series Ibanez. I'd avoid Jacksons and LTD's as they tend to be guitars that focus on metal.

If you went used, you could probably pick up a Gibson Les Paul Studio or SG Special in that range, both excellent guitars and the set necks would give you better sustain.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
You're probably going to be well off with a PRS/HSS Strat or an S-Series Ibanez. I'd avoid Jacksons and LTD's as they tend to be guitars that focus on metal.

If you went used, you could probably pick up a Gibson Les Paul Studio or SG Special in that range, both excellent guitars and the set necks would give you better sustain.

I really like the S series ibanez guitar. Have you played one yourself?
Quote by Darthkp
I really like the S series ibanez guitar. Have you played one yourself?

I did, I played the S570DX. It played well, especially for the price. I would suggest you try it yourself though, you don't want to purchase a guitar yourself without trying one out.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
I did, I played the S570DX. It played well, especially for the price. I would suggest you try it yourself though, you don't want to purchase a guitar yourself without trying one out.

Definitely. Thank You!
Charvele has a new line called Desolation,has EMGs (not my favorite), has a neckthru or a bolt on Jackson profile neck. Very comfy. List price is kinda high. The shop I go to has the neckthru Star priced at $650ish(list was mid $800)
What the hell!!!
Consider DBZ guitars. Yes, some of the designs are over the top, but the Imperial is a beautiful double-cutaway that has gotten nice reviews and is supposedly as thin as an iPhone at the edge. Somewhere in the $700s.

Forgot to mention- thë DBZ Royale is a smaller-bodied version of the Imperial, and starts around $200 less. Still a hell of a guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by AeolianSeventh
PRS SE Santana. Ha ha! See, it's funny because it has a lot of midrange, and you said you wanted a MID-RANGE axe!

This. Or a Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (one of my favourite guitars). Great cleans and handles distortion well. Highly resonant and versatile and if you want a different sound you can always change pickups.
To be honest with that sort of scope you've got a lot of options to choose from, spoilt for choice perhaps?

RHCP and maiden use strats, and strats give good cleans.

I'd definitely look into a HSS fender.
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour