For UKers.

I had a job at BHS over the Christmas period and not really had a payday since my last one in January. Found out that the taxman stole a bit of money off of me and I can get it back at the end of the tax year.
It's mine and my girlfriend's two year anniversay on April 12th and I NEED money for that, as the tax year end on April 5th would I be eligible to claim it on the 6th?

How would I go about claiming it, how long does it take to come through, or is it automatic?

Help wud b presheayted.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
There is a form you can download, I think its a P60, or look up your local tax office. They should be able to help you there.

It takes an age to get the money back, when I applied it took 8 weeks to process and a further 8 weeks to get the money.

If you are owed money you can claim anytime up to I think 2 - 3 years of the tax year that the tax was taken.

I cant remember the details because its been 4 years since I last done this but I know a P60 is what you need... I think.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
I have no clue how taxes work. I just give my T4s to my mom who knows a guy who does it for cheap. Apparently he does all the fancy tax backs tricks yet I never get anything back.
Two completely contrasting answers, fantastic
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite
For UKers.

I had a job at BHS over the Christmas period and not really had a payday since my last one in January. Found out that the taxman stole a bit of money off of me and I can get it back at the end of the tax year.
It's mine and my girlfriend's two year anniversay on April 12th and I NEED money for that, as the tax year end on April 5th would I be eligible to claim it on the 6th?

How would I go about claiming it, how long does it take to come through, or is it automatic?

Help wud b presheayted.

Call your local tax office. It'll probably be a 0845 # with a long (15+ wait) unless you do it at 8am. If your p60 was submitted properly by your employer, they should be able to see it on their system and will send you a calculation and then a check within about 3 weeks (for me it was only 2 weeks, but they warn it'll be 4) Though they can only act when they receive the P60 which depends on the employer. Some take their time despite there being charges for submitting it later than end of May. No way are you getting it for the 12th. You'll be lucky if your employer even sends out the P60 by then.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o