Okay, so i've recently took up singing to accompany my guitar and for my band. I believe that I can sing, or at least have the potential, I just cant seem to listen to a song and be able to tell what notes they are singing and how i can replicate that sound? can you help pleaaaaase?

mucho graciaaaas;P
The first thing I can say is that you shouldn't try to sound like the other singer. You've got your own voice, and trying to replicate everything about another singer's voice can set you up for failure - you might sound bad, but more importantly you might hurt your voice.

As far as note recognition, just like everything else in music, practice practice practice. Play a note on the guitar and sing it back. Try it in different octaves, on different instruments if possible. It's all about training your ear, just like you train your fingers on the guitar.

Hope this helps a bit!
Gear
PRS SE Custom 22
PRS SE Tremonti
ESP EC-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Martin DCPA3
Peavey 6505+
TC Electronic G-System
Quote by bballdevil187
The first thing I can say is that you shouldn't try to sound like the other singer. You've got your own voice, and trying to replicate everything about another singer's voice can set you up for failure - you might sound bad, but more importantly you might hurt your voice.

As far as note recognition, just like everything else in music, practice practice practice. Play a note on the guitar and sing it back. Try it in different octaves, on different instruments if possible. It's all about training your ear, just like you train your fingers on the guitar.

Hope this helps a bit!

thanks that helps a lot

I know what you mean about my own voice, but how can I kind of translate the song into my style with it still being the same notes voice wise as the orginal? sorry if that made no sense!
Quote by DomWhite1998
Okay, so i've recently took up singing to accompany my guitar and for my band. I believe that I can sing, or at least have the potential, I just cant seem to listen to a song and be able to tell what notes they are singing and how i can replicate that sound? can you help pleaaaaase?

mucho graciaaaas;P

Ear training.

(say it with me now).

Download the functional ear trainer from Miles.be and get a good book on ear training. I recommend Keith Wyatt et al's "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician."
i agree with whats been posted. You have to develop your ear as a musician, whether that be singing or playing guitar, its pretty important.

I would advise you learn proper technique and build your voice up a bit before you try to sing along to songs. When I started singing i sung along to songs to practice, I regret it now as I have delveloped some bad singing habits that I'm trying to break now. If you are going to sing along to songs, make sure the song is in your range and doesn't involve screaming, grit, yells, or really intense vocals.

Theres a ton of good advice on this site and on youtube. Look up singing scale exercises and singing warm ups for a start, its also a good idea to get vocal lessons, you'll learn alot quicker, develop quicker, and with less risk of vocal damage.