i drive a nissan primera 2l turbodiesel with injectionsystem. today i noticed the fuel comsumption went through the roof! usually i can drive 2 weeks without refueling and today i wasted more than 1/4 of a tank (about 15 l) on a 40km drive witch is more than 4 times the usual consumption.

i checked for fuel leaks in the engine compartiment, i had a major leak because of a split tube on the injection part a month ago but thats all fixed. the tank doesn't seem to be leaking either. also no diesel smell anywhere, no smoke from the exhaust and it drives fine.

maybe relevant, the oil level is on the low side and the carter is very slowly leaking oil (like 5 drops a day).. i forgot to check tire pressure but i'm pretty sure that should be fine

does anyone have an idea what it might be and save me an expensive check at the dealer?

thanks in advance, even if your posts will be the usual irrelevant pitcrap
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Checking the filter might be a good idea.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
You need a new flux capacitator. I'll ship you one for $20.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by AeroRocker
Checking the filter might be a good idea.

yes! that i didn't think of that.. off to find the filter, brb
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Stop being a ****ing mongo and asking for car help on a guitar website and take it to a garage.
BAWRS
Quote by andbawr
Stop being a ****ing mongo and asking for car help on a guitar website and take it to a garage.

o ye cos garges r cheep lol
damn that filter is screwed on tight, can't even get it off. and the location isn't helping. if it's the filter i'll probably need a new one anyways so the garage might be the only option..

but if you have any more ideas, please slap em on my screen.

and andbawr, **** off. take a good look at the threads in the pit, at least this one is somewhat usefull.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by whoomit
o ye cos garges r cheep lol

A lot cheaper if you go there directly rather then after ****ing up your car by following advice from random people on the internet.
I was going to say something about your spark plugs but then I realised I'm blind and you're talking about a diesel.

So, glow plugs man, glow plugs!
Quote by Koekoeksklok
A lot cheaper if you go there directly rather then after ****ing up your car by following advice from random people on the internet.

well.. if someone has experience with this and can point me to the problem, then i can just tell my dealer like .. 'this is broken' and that can save me a lot of money because the dealer wouldn't spent time looking for it.. you know what the prize is for 1 hour of time in a garage in my country? 2.5 kidneys

why should i even listen to you koekoeksklok? i never had good advise before from a clock with a wooden bird in it..
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Last edited by vince1991 at Mar 30, 2012,
Quote by Koekoeksklok

If you make a mistake then you make a mistake. You pay for it, but only in the short term. You learn from it, saving you time and money in the long run.

First world countries have a terrible attitude to fixing things. People tend to either pay other people ridiculous amounts of money to fix things for them, or we buy new ones and throw the old ones out. Terrible waste.
whoomit i love you. i'm sick of people telling me 'don't touch it you might break it' i went to technical school for ****s sake and usually it works. but this time i just don't know what to fix
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by vince1991
i drive a nissan primera 2l turbodiesel with injectionsystem. today i noticed the fuel comsumption went through the roof! usually i can drive 2 weeks without refueling and today i wasted more than 1/4 of a tank (about 15 l) on a 40km drive witch is more than 4 times the usual consumption.

i checked for fuel leaks in the engine compartiment, i had a major leak because of a split tube on the injection part a month ago but thats all fixed. the tank doesn't seem to be leaking either. also no diesel smell anywhere, no smoke from the exhaust and it drives fine.

maybe relevant, the oil level is on the low side and the carter is very slowly leaking oil (like 5 drops a day).. i forgot to check tire pressure but i'm pretty sure that should be fine

does anyone have an idea what it might be and save me an expensive check at the dealer?

thanks in advance, even if your posts will be the usual irrelevant pitcrap

Well there's your problem.
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah so whole you arm eoddin this stupid forum i am moddin IRL bitch

they are pretty reliable actually.. it's 12 years old and only the alternator broke once and some lightbulbs died.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by vince1991

they are pretty reliable actually.. it's 12 years old and only the alternator broke once and some lightbulbs died.

I have a '98 Nissan Sentra. The past couple of years, it's been going through hell. I smell gas, but I haven't seen any signs of leaking anywhere. And every once in a while, it just won't start. Eats up gas like crazy too. My father-in-law, who's a mechanic (and a damn good one) can't figure it out either. He's actually gonna take a look at it again today and see what's going on.
Quote by StewieSwan
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
It could be a number of things, so it'll be hard to diagnose without seeing it.

First, I would run the car (at operating temp) and have someone smell and look at the exhaust. If it's a very dark color and has a heavy smell of unburnt fuel, then you know that ur air/fuel ratio is messed up. If not, then there could be a possibility that something is dragging, such as a frozen brake caliper.

I'm not all too familiar with diesel, but maybe your timing is off, fuel pressure regulator is broke, engine coolant temp too low, turbo is shot, major leak in intake (from turbo to intake manifold), clogged air filter, etc. There are a thousand things that could be the culprit, especially in a turbo car. Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge in the instrument cluster? If the vacuum doesn't too much at idle or deaccelaration, then there is likely an intake leak.

Try checking your I take hoses to see if any clamps are loose.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
Quote by cfhdomination
I have a '98 Nissan Sentra. The past couple of years, it's been going through hell. I smell gas, but I haven't seen any signs of leaking anywhere. And every once in a while, it just won't start. Eats up gas like crazy too. My father-in-law, who's a mechanic (and a damn good one) can't figure it out either. He's actually gonna take a look at it again today and see what's going on.

oh really? looks like we got a somewhat similar situation. the only thing i could think of is, if you smell gass coming through the heater vents when they are blowing, but no sign of liquid leak there could be a tear in a hose or something between the carburator and the engine, letting the air-gas mixture escape into the air.

unfortunately this is not the case on my car, that would be an easy fix.

if it's regular gas, try passing a lighter past all hoses when your car is running it might point out the problem. be weary of explosions tho

Quote by thetalonguy
It could be a number of things, so it'll be hard to diagnose without seeing it.

First, I would run the car (at operating temp) and have someone smell and look at the exhaust. If it's a very dark color and has a heavy smell of unburnt fuel, then you know that ur air/fuel ratio is messed up. If not, then there could be a possibility that something is dragging, such as a frozen brake caliper.

I'm not all too familiar with diesel, but maybe your timing is off, fuel pressure regulator is broke, engine coolant temp too low, turbo is shot, major leak in intake (from turbo to intake manifold), clogged air filter, etc. There are a thousand things that could be the culprit, especially in a turbo car. Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge in the instrument cluster? If the vacuum doesn't too much at idle or deaccelaration, then there is likely an intake leak.

Try checking your I take hoses to see if any clamps are loose.

thanks man, this is useful stuff. will check in the morning when it's light outside. there is no boost/vacuum gauge. if it's not the intake or filter i'll just have to take it to the dealer since i probably won't be able to repair the other stuff anyways.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You need a new supercharger bro

That..or...
Maybe the injection system is going apeshit and putting to much fuel in there?

I highly doubt that it would be the fuel filter. Unless its leaking.
When a fuel filter goes bad, its because its clogged up with crap.
That hinders its ability to pass fuel. If anything, it would lessen the amount of fuel going through and you car would run like crap or not at all.

Quote by vince1991

try passing a lighter past all hoses when your car is running it might point out the problem. be weary of explosions tho

That's akin to looking for a gas leak from your stove or whatever in your house.
Not a wise choice IMO.
If the fuel waste is as high as you say it is, that would be like lighting a flame thrower while standing in front of it.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 30, 2012,
All your fuel is blowing past the rings into the crankcase.

That or a leak. If it were putting shittons of fuel into the engine then it'd smoke black like a freight train.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Mar 30, 2012,
Quote by FearMyLightning

That or a leak. If it were putting shittons of fuel into the engine then it'd smoke black like a freight train.

Good point, I didn't consider that.

Another idea...
Start it up.
Leave it parked and running for awhile and see if there are any wet spots underneath.
Quote by FearMyLightning

wouldn't that produce smoke issues as well from oil passing by the rings into the cylinder? there is no smoke coming from the exhaust
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by FearMyLightning

Quote by vince1991
wouldn't that produce smoke issues as well from oil passing by the rings into the cylinder? there is no smoke coming from the exhaust

If the rings were so worn that it wasn't creating enough compression to fire, then it would not smoke.
But you might also notice a lack of power.
Quote by vince1991
oh really? looks like we got a somewhat similar situation. the only thing i could think of is, if you smell gass coming through the heater vents when they are blowing, but no sign of liquid leak there could be a tear in a hose or something between the carburator and the engine, letting the air-gas mixture escape into the air.

unfortunately this is not the case on my car, that would be an easy fix.

if it's regular gas, try passing a lighter past all hoses when your car is running it might point out the problem. be weary of explosions tho

Yeah, that's why I pointed out your first problem. It's a Nissan My car has fuel injection, so no carburator. I mainly smell gasoline when I step outside of the car after I've driven it.

Good luck with your car though
Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by andbawr

Why would you waste money when it could be a DIY job. Almost anyone with half a brain can replace a good deal of parts on a car. With a little help from someone with a clue he can identify the problem, from there he can find a walkthrough to help him.
Also, mongo? Like a mongo pusher?
Last edited by mybanez at Mar 30, 2012,
thanks domination , good luck to you to man.

codemonk,

you mean that it could be running on only 3 cylinders?

i didn't notice a decrease in power.. due to the small oil leak (overpressure in carter? maybe a clog somewhere?) and thetalonguy's post i'm starting to think the turbo might be failing.

but on the other hand, there is no decrease in power..

**** it. if it's not the filter or intake i'm gonna have a kidney removed and take it to the garage. this sucks i was supposed to help my dad move all his stuff to our new place with that car tomorrow

thank all of you guys for the help, it's appreciated
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Usually if your turbo's failing you'll lose alot of power and due to the decreased amount of air entering the engine, you'll blow loads of smoke.

It's probably a leak TS.
Quote by vince1991
thanks domination , good luck to you to man.

codemonk,

you mean that it could be running on only 3 cylinders?

i didn't notice a decrease in power.. due to the small oil leak (overpressure in carter? maybe a clog somewhere?) and thetalonguy's post i'm starting to think the turbo might be failing.

but on the other hand, there is no decrease in power..

**** it. if it's not the filter or intake i'm gonna have a kidney removed and take it to the garage. this sucks i was supposed to help my dad move all his stuff to our new place with that car tomorrow

thank all of you guys for the help, it's appreciated

Yeah, if all the cylinders aren't firing, you will lose power.
And in a 4 cylinder engine, it would be VERY noticeable.

I'm betting on a leak.
Run it in your driveway for like 10 - 20 minutes and see if you can see any fuel dripping or on the ground. Might help to pin point where it is leaking.

Put some pieces of cardboard under it if you do that.
good idea. i'll try this as well tomorrow morning. cardboard? the thing has been slowly leaking oil scince before i took it over from my father. my small driveway looks like it's pimped with labrador fur. i don't mind about some fuel dripping on it
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by vince1991
good idea. i'll try this as well tomorrow morning. cardboard? the thing has been slowly leaking oil scince before i took it over from my father. my small driveway looks like it's pimped with labrador fur. i don't mind about some fuel dripping on it

The cardboard is even more important in that case.
It just makes it easier to see where the leak is and tell the new drops from the old ones.
oh yeah.. well that went straight over my head

well, thanks again
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Take the handbrake off.

Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic