amps- laney lc15-110 vs cub 12r....for metal

hey plz help me ge one among the laney tube amps.....
.laney lc 15-110 ...the new one OR
cub 12r
style....metal....all metallica stuff including cleans*

my gear....esp ec 1000...metal zone..
.i knoe these amps are single channel...so i m ready to buy....od3 / ts9dx/sd1/ ac3 for cleans
:-)
Last edited by siddiq4321 at Mar 30, 2012,
Only these tube amps r availble in india for my budget....so...help which is better among themselves
Quote by siddiq4321
Only these tube amps r availble in india for my budget....so...help which is better among themselves

Ahh, I see. Well, unfortunately neither of those amps will do metal very well without a boost, even then it won't be great.
RIP Adam
Bulls#it, I use my laney LC15R for metal and it develops for sure, all you need is a boost or and overdrive in front of it. Period!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by Perverockstar69
Bulls#it, I use my laney LC15R for metal and it develops for sure, all you need is a boost or and overdrive in front of it. Period!

Yeah, but the LC is more geared for modern tones. The VC series is more geared towards vintage tones. Same with the Cub. Sure, they CAN do metal, but there's probably better options in that price range.
I just don't see the point in getting an amp not built for metal and boosting till it does metal, when you can get metal tones from an amp made for them.

Although, if you're in India and they're your only choices, fair enough. Are there any other amps for sale around where you live?

If not, play both of them if you can and decide which YOU think sounds better for what you want to play.
RIP Adam
Yeah neither are made for metal, however I have a cub (which is a brilliant little amp) and every now and then when I'm playing around I will run some od/dist through it and it doesn't sound too bad.

But essentially neither are voiced or designed to do metal. They are however both very good and versatile amps! I would probably swing towards the cub because it has the 12" speaker but that's just me. Is the Laney LC15 available in your country?
12r can NOT do metal unless you use a pedal.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Going for these laney amps will also give me some good cleans...which are also a part of metallica....also some hardrock linkin park stuff which i like right.....?

Others available....
Peavy valve king.....but is slightly over priced...and not servicable in india....
Marshal mgs also...but i think the wont....
And none of them r available to practice..thats the reason i m posting herr dude...i have to buy only online

Any one of u tried the both.....the lc is A class.....

NOW HELP ME ONE....
Will the lc having 10' speaker and being A class have troble for metal.....?
Will it accept mt2 od3 cs3.....well...?
Using an ac3....will it give sparkling acoustics like in fade to black.....?

Thankx:-)
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
Yeah, but the LC is more geared for modern tones. The VC series is more geared towards vintage tones. Same with the Cub. Sure, they CAN do metal, but there's probably better options in that price range.
I just don't see the point in getting an amp not built for metal and boosting till it does metal, when you can get metal tones from an amp made for them.

Although, if you're in India and they're your only choices, fair enough. Are there any other amps for sale around where you live?

If not, play both of them if you can and decide which YOU think sounds better for what you want to play.

Going for these laney amps will also give me some good cleans...which are also a part of metallica....also some hardrock linkin park stuff which i like right.....?Others available....Peavy valve king.....but is slightly over priced...and not servicable in india....Marshal mgs also...but i think the wont....And none of them r available to practice..thats the reason i m posting herr dude...i have to buy only onlineAny one of u tried the both.....the lc is A class.....NOW HELP ME ONE....Will the lc having 10' speaker and being A class have troble for metal.....?Will it accept mt2 od3 cs3.....well...?Using an ac3....will it give sparkling acoustics like in fade to black.....?Thankx:-)**
Quote by SexyLikeAPig

Going for these laney amps will also give me some good cleans...which are also a part of metallica....also some hardrock linkin park stuff which i like right.....?

Others available....Peavy valve king.....but is slightly over priced...and not servicable in india....Marshal mgs also...but i think the wont....And none of them r available to practice..thats the reason i m posting herr dude...i have to buy only onlineAny one of u tried the both.....the lc is A class.....

NOW HELP ME ONE....Will the lc having 10' speaker and being A class have troble for metal.....?Will it accept mt2 od3 cs3.....well...?Using an ac3....will it give sparkling acoustics like in fade to black.....?Thankx:-)**
Quote by siddiq4321

Others available....Peavy valve king.....but is slightly over priced...and not servicable in india....Marshal mgs also...but i think the wont....And none of them r available to practice..thats the reason i m posting herr dude...i have to buy only onlineAny one of u tried the both.....the lc is A class.....

NOW HELP ME ONE....Will the lc having 10' speaker and being A class have troble for metal.....?Will it accept mt2 od3 cs3.....well...?Using an ac3....will it give sparkling acoustics like in fade to black.....?Thankx:-)**

I'm gathering English is not your fist language so excuse me if I misunderstood you...

Out of the 3 Laneys mentioned, I believe the most suited to metal is the LC15.However no matter which one you buy you will need to boost it with a pedal so perhaps the Cub with the 12" is the best bet for the money.

They will all give sweet cleans, the cub and VC have a more vintage sound compared to the LC. They will all accept your pedals with no dramas - they are really all very similar, buy the cheapest if you cant decide.

The ValveKing would be a much better choice however I understand your situation.. and certainly avoid the MG!
Last edited by zero at Mar 31, 2012,
Metal requires less gain than most people think... It's more about how you play.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
Quote by zero
I'm gathering English is not your fist language so excuse me if I misunderstood you...

Out of the 3 Laneys mentioned, I believe the most suited to metal is the LC15.However no matter which one you buy you will need to boost it with a pedal so perhaps the Cub with the 12" is the best bet for the money.

They will all give sweet cleans, the cub and VC have a more vintage sound compared to the LC. They will all accept your pedals with no dramas - they are really all very similar, buy the cheapest if you cant decide.

The ValveKing would be a much better choice however I understand your situation.. and certainly avoid the MG!

+1 dude.....helped me a lot.....
Last...thing.....is it true that class A are not good for metal....and have tube overheating and short life is problems...?......will a 12' instead of 10' speaker make a lot difference.?
And....ibanex ts 9 or od3.....which one give a nice powerfull overdrive fo the lc
Is true tube screamers r good for tube amps....is od3 / sd1near to it..?
And i get small amt. compression / sustain from my metal zone buying cs3 is neccesary...?
Quote by SexyLikeAPig

Who talked about the VC?
Name me a good metal tube amp on that budget and on that location...
BTW IMO an overdriven amp pushed with a pedal sounds a lot better for metal than ultra high amp gain. more musical and expressive sound!

Be real on the OP needs, nothing more.

He will do great with those laneys, he just needs to try both with an OD or a boost in front and choose one.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by Perverockstar69
Who talked about the VC?
Name me a good metal tube amp on that budget and on that location...
BTW IMO an overdriven amp pushed with a pedal sounds a lot better for metal than ultra high amp gain. more musical and expressive sound!

Be real on the OP needs, nothing more.

He will do great with those laneys, he just needs to try both with an OD or a boost in front and choose one.

+1 dude.....helped me a lot....

.Last...thing.....is it true that class A are not good for metal....and have tube overheating and short life is problems...?....
..will a 12' instead of 10' speaker make a lot difference.?

And....ibanex ts 9 or od3.....which one give a nice powerfull overdrive fo the lc
Is true tube screamers r good for tube amps....is od3 / sd1near to it..?
And i get small amt. compression / sustain from my metal zone buying cs3 is neccesary...?
Last edited by siddiq4321 at Apr 1, 2012,
TS9 will do great for you, no problem. On class A being not good for metal is just a matter of taste in my opinion; I do like the sound I get from my LC jamming with my metal band, notes are crisp and pretty well articulated, I distinguish every single note when I arpeggiate a chord with distortion, no kidding! (LC are class A/B anyway).

On tube screamers being good for tube amps... Well, ask that to almost everyone in the music industry who uses one, those are the most used overdrives on the world and there's a reason for that, it doesn't mean tubescreamers are for everyone though.

On your question on the metal zone you will have to figure it out yourself since I haven't tried that possibility.

BTW, I like 12' speakers better. I'm also trying a 2x15 bassman cab on my Mesa Royal Atlantic with some interesting results, I'll maybe end up having a 2x12 and a 2x15 setup with it .

The most important advice I can give to you is that EVERYTHING is a matter of taste, that's one reason why the world is so amazing xD

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 1, 2012,
The LC but you are going to need some pedals. I'm sure something like a Dirty Bomb in front of an LC will perform adequately enough.
But try to find a used 5150/6505 or Ultra/XXX/JSX if you can.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Perverockstar69
TS9 will do great for you, no problem. On class A being not good for metal is just a matter of taste in my opinion; I do like the sound I get from my LC jamming with my metal band, notes are crisp and pretty well articulated, I distinguish every single note when I arpeggiate a chord with distortion, no kidding! (LC are class A/B anyway).

On tube screamers being good for tube amps... Well, ask that to almost everyone in the music industry who uses one, those are the most used overdrives on the world and there's a reason for that, it doesn't mean tubescreamers are for everyone though.

On your question on the metal zone you will have to figure it out yourself since I haven't tried that possibility.

BTW, I like 12' speakers better. I'm also trying a 2x15 bassman cab on my Mesa Royal Atlantic with some interesting results, I'll maybe end up having a 2x12 and a 2x15 setup with it .

The most important advice I can give to you is that EVERYTHING is a matter of taste, that's one reason why the world is so amazing xD

Nice...
Very helpfull and always apperiaciate it....
Going to to buy the lc online...appart from tone i wanted a pretty versitile and CLEAR amp as u said...:-)
Out of your options, get the ValveKing if you can afford it.

If not, I suggest getting the Cub and a good distortion pedal like the Hardwire Metal Distortion or the Metal Muff.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Out of your options, get the ValveKing if you can afford it.

If not, I suggest getting the Cub and a good distortion pedal like the Hardwire Metal Distortion or the Metal Muff.

As far as from the reviews and youtube videos i found it a more british or a vintage tone one....(it looks like a old radio)...online sellers here....use the lc much for their bands.....i m impresed by it...
If Laney is your only option, look for the Ironheart.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
If Laney is your only option, look for the Ironheart.

Emm...thats to over budget....
Do u think the iron can beat the mesa mini rect. In terms of distortion....lead overdrive...and the rythm quality.....
As far as tone is concerned can i reach to the mesa metallica tone using studio quality EQ...? Or any costly pedals........sorry if it is a silly question...:-)
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I have an LC30, rubbish for metal even with a tubescreamer. Way too fuzzy.

Not agree at all.

I also had the valveking and IMO the laney has a more tasteful sound. Just my taste, but the VK performed really well anyway, nice amp for the money if you ask me.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Quote by siddiq4321
Emm...thats to over budget....
Do u think the iron can beat the mesa mini rect. In terms of distortion....lead overdrive...and the rythm quality.....
As far as tone is concerned can i reach to the mesa metallica tone using studio quality EQ...? Or any costly pedals........sorry if it is a silly question...:-)

No, it's not a silly question. But if you're looking at the Mesa Mini-Rec, then the Ironheart is in your price range. You're also looking at two totally different tones, though.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals