Page 1 of 3
Hi, i want to learn how to play the electric guitar. I've never played before on any kind of guitar but I'm pretty serious about it. I don't have a price range yet but I am open to suggestions. In case it matters what I listen to... I'm into metalcore, djent, groove, progressive. Thank you in advance!
Well for those genres, you'll probably be wanting something with 2 humbuckers, can you give any band names as an example?

Also, some sort of price range is going to be necessary to suggest different makes/guitars.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 30, 2012,
Do you play acoustic now, or new to guitar?

For those genres I'd stick with something that has humbuckers. Single coil pickups (like what you find in most strats or telecasters) are generally not well suited to harder styles.

Having a budget would help immensely, but I'd try to avoid the REALLY cheap guitars. Like the $100-200 guitars. They usually have pretty poor quality pickups and parts, and you'll quickly outgrow them. The mid range epiphones are usually pretty good, ibanez, a fat strat with a humbucker in the bridge if you prefer the strat style necks... there are a million options. You should really just try out several and see which neck you prefer.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
^ Yeah I was thinking of suggesting an Ibanez. Depending on the music you may want a neck single coil or HSH configuration though.

EDIT: Another thing you'll want to consider is whether you want a fixed/strat/floyd bridge...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 30, 2012,
Architects, Erra, Volumes, Sithu Aye, Leviathan of the Sea. Gave you different genres so you can see where I'm coming from.
I'd recommend you go to your local guitar store and just find an associate. Talk to them and see what feels good. Of course, you'd probably want to see guitars with double humbuckers. Most of what you'll want you won't know until you compare a few things. For instance, does a Strat style neck feel better to you than a Gibson style neck? You have to hold both types of necks to figure that out.
Quote by Aetsirc
Architects, Erra, Volumes, Sithu Aye, Leviathan of the Sea. Gave you different genres so you can see where I'm coming from.
Yeah, I got that but some prog metal bands for example do a lot of mellower work too. Assuming that's not an issue then, you might want a dual humbucker guitar. I'd start by taking a look at the Ibanez RG range. Something like an RG350?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Completely new to any type of guitar. Already got an acoustic but I was hoping to jump straight to electric. Don't know nothing about humbuckers, coil pick ups or the like, not even familiar with the names as english is not my first language. So you got a real a dumbo here, starting from 0. Guess i can put together 400-500$ for my guitar. If you guys can give me some model names so I can check out and decide would be awesome.
Humbucker:

Single Coil:

It's the magnet that makes the guitar work. Humbuckers are good for metal because having two coils cancels out hum at higher gains. Single coils are often chosen for clean sounds, because some people prefer their sound and hum isn't such a big issue.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'd recommend you go to your local guitar store and just find an associate. Talk to them and see what feels good. Of course, you'd probably want to see guitars with double humbuckers. Most of what you'll want you won't know until you compare a few things. For instance, does a Strat style neck feel better to you than a Gibson style neck? You have to hold both types of necks to figure that out.

Ok got it. I'll go to a store try a few out and see what feels right then get back to you. Thanks
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-sg-prophecy-custom-gx-electric-guitar-with-dirty-fingers-pickups/515619002127000

If you can find one of these it would be the best guitar to start on in my opinion.

You should probably get something with a fixed bridge, this prophecy is really easy to play and it comes with great pickups. I would advise that you spend some money rather than get really cheap because you need something you actually want to play if you know what I mean.

Amp?
If you need one I would go see what you can get used. Blackstar would be ideal. Stay away from Line 6 and MG series. Fender hot rod series would be okay for some of your music. You might need a pedal SD9 would be cool.

That's the thing you don't just buy a guitar you need all the accessories, try to make choices you won't regret. Everyone buys gear they wish they wouldn't have. How you learn I guess. peace.
Quote by Aetsirc
Completely new to any type of guitar. Already got an acoustic but I was hoping to jump straight to electric. Don't know nothing about humbuckers, coil pick ups or the like, not even familiar with the names as english is not my first language. So you got a real a dumbo here, starting from 0. Guess i can put together 400-500$ for my guitar. If you guys can give me some model names so I can check out and decide would be awesome.

Alright, first of all, you need to know what you want before we can give you a good answer.

Since you're playing progressive and hardcore style music, i'd look for a guitar with Humbuckers because they're generally warmer sounding and higher output than single coils. They're also a lot less noisy because single coils produce a lot of hum when you use a lot of gain on your amplifier. With the music you're playing, you're going to be playing with a lot of gain all the time. Humbuckers cancel out the hum that single coils inherently create, by having one coil 'bucking the hum' of the other coil, hence the name 'Humbucker'.

If you don't know what you want, i'd suggest you go to a local guitar shop and play as many guitars that you like the look of as possible.

Ibanez, Jackson, ESP/LTD and some specific Epiphone models may have what you're looking for.

Because you haven't given much information, i can't really give you specific advice, but one thing you must avoid are cheap Floyd Rose-style tremolo systems.

That might sound meaningless, so have a look here so you can get a basic idea of what a Floyd Rose is. Basically, a Floyd Rose is a type of bridge that allows you to perform vibrato and other tricks without the guitar going out of tune, which used to be a problem before Floyd Rose bridges came about.

For $500, there are some guitars out there that have Floyd Rose style bridges. I would avoid buying one, especially as this is your first guitar. They can be extremely frustrating to set up for beginners, you cannot downtune easily with a Floyd Rose bridge and cheap tremolo systems tend to be very unreliable.

The reason why i'm telling you all this is because for the style of music you're playing, Floyd Rose bridges are very common. Many beginners make the mistake of buying a guitar with a Floyd as their first guitar and they get totally frustrated with them, and which they never had bought their guitars.

I have a few other questions too.

Are you willing to go used?
Where do you live?
What is your amp?
Do you have any preferences whatsoever or are you completely and utterly new to this?

If you need more information in what to look for in a guitar, have a look at the UG archives. Its a treasure trove of information about guitars, so its great for beginners to read up on.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 30, 2012,
If you haven't played anything before, get a cheap acoustic and play your way through either (or any combination of) lessons, songs you like (and when I say songs you like don't jump in at the deep end learn back in black, iron man, smoke on the water, something easy) or a guitar for dummies book.

Then start to think about what electric guitar you want, I now play death metal but started on a Gould SG though I would suggest getting what was my 2nd guitar a Epiphone SG, this is because it is a good guitar, cheap and can handle hard rock and metal easy, or something similar like a Les Paul.

Then after a couple of years playing and learning go I like these types of music I'm going to spend a lot of money on a guitar I KNOW about and KNOW will play the type of music I KNOW I want to specialize in. Whether you take my advice or not is up to you but for those types of music you probably want a Ibanez 7 string or something similar.

Also as an after thought you can have the most bitching guitar but if you have shit pedals and amp it won't count for much and for the love of god do not get a Floyd Rose or any tremolo system until your spending big and know exactly what tuning you want to play in.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......|
....\__________./
Last edited by Sign of War at Mar 30, 2012,
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-sg-prophecy-custom-gx-electric-guitar-with-dirty-fingers-pickups/515619002127000

If you can find one of these it would be the best guitar to start on in my opinion.

You should probably get something with a fixed bridge, this prophecy is really easy to play and it comes with great pickups. I would advise that you spend some money rather than get really cheap because you need something you actually want to play if you know what I mean.

Amp?
If you need one I would go see what you can get used. Blackstar would be ideal. Stay away from Line 6 and MG series. Fender hot rod series would be okay for some of your music. You might need a pedal SD9 would be cool.

That's the thing you don't just buy a guitar you need all the accessories, try to make choices you won't regret. Everyone buys gear they wish they wouldn't have. How you learn I guess. peace.

Ok, great tips I'll take my time before I make a purchase and also do some research on guitar parts and equipment!
Epiphone models may have what you're looking for.

Except Prophecy is great guitar. I hate Ibanez, you will have to see what you like.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Except Prophecy is great guitar. I hate Ibanez, you will have to see what you like.

I would know. I've played a few of them. They're pretty good.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Sign of War
If you haven't played anything before, get a cheap acoustic and play your way through either (or any combination of) lessons, songs you like (and when I say songs you like don't jump in at the deep end learn back in black, iron man, smoke on the water, something easy) or a guitar for dummies book.

Then start to think about what electric guitar you want, I now play death metal but started on a Gould SG though I would suggest getting what was my 2nd guitar a Epiphone SG, this is because it is a good guitar, cheap and can handle hard rock and metal easy, or something similar like a Les Paul.

Then after a couple of years playing and learning go I like these types of music I'm going to spend a lot of money on a guitar I KNOW about and KNOW will play the type of music I KNOW I want to specialize in. Whether you take my advice or not is up to you but for those types of music you probably want a Ibanez 7 string or something similar.

Also as an after thought you can have the most bitching guitar but if you have shit pedals and amp it won't count for much and for the love of god do not get a Floyd Rose or any tremolo system until your spending big and know exactly what tuning you want to play in.

I got and Epiphone DR-100 VS. Is it mandatory to learn on acoustic first? I'm very excited about getting an electric guitar but I wanna do this right.
Quote by Aetsirc
Is it mandatory to learn on acoustic first?

Nope.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Alright, first of all, you need to know what you want before we can give you a good answer.

Since you're playing progressive and hardcore style music, i'd look for a guitar with Humbuckers because they're generally warmer sounding and higher output than single coils. They're also a lot less noisy because single coils produce a lot of hum when you use a lot of gain on your amplifier. With the music you're playing, you're going to be playing with a lot of gain all the time. Humbuckers cancel out the hum that single coils inherently create, by having one coil 'bucking the hum' of the other coil, hence the name 'Humbucker'.

If you don't know what you want, i'd suggest you go to a local guitar shop and play as many guitars that you like the look of as possible.

Ibanez, Jackson, ESP/LTD and some specific Epiphone models may have what you're looking for.

Because you haven't given much information, i can't really give you specific advice, but one thing you must avoid are cheap Floyd Rose-style tremolo systems.

That might sound meaningless, so have a look here so you can get a basic idea of what a Floyd Rose is. Basically, a Floyd Rose is a type of bridge that allows you to perform vibrato and other tricks without the guitar going out of tune, which used to be a problem before Floyd Rose bridges came about.

For $500, there are some guitars out there that have Floyd Rose style bridges. I would avoid buying one, especially as this is your first guitar. They can be extremely frustrating to set up for beginners, you cannot downtune easily with a Floyd Rose bridge and cheap tremolo systems tend to be very unreliable.

The reason why i'm telling you all this is because for the style of music you're playing, Floyd Rose bridges are very common. Many beginners make the mistake of buying a guitar with a Floyd as their first guitar and they get totally frustrated with them, and which they never had bought their guitars.

I have a few other questions too.

Are you willing to go used?
Where do you live?
What is your amp?
Do you have any preferences whatsoever or are you completely and utterly new to this?

If you need more information in what to look for in a guitar, have a look at the UG archives. Its a treasure trove of information about guitars, so its great for beginners to read up on.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Completely new to guitars. Alright then I'll check the archives and get educated. I live in Romania and I'd rather buy a new guitar. No amp no preferences but that Prophecy looks mighty fine!
Quote by Sign of War

Good stuff, duly noted, thank you sir.
Quote by Emperor's Child
Humbucker:

Single Coil:

It's the magnet that makes the guitar work. Humbuckers are good for metal because having two coils cancels out hum at higher gains. Single coils are often chosen for clean sounds, because some people prefer their sound and hum isn't such a big issue.

Got it so humbuckers might be the way to go for me.
Don't short yourself on the amp though, you won't be satisfied. Kind of funny because I had three electrics before I got my acoustic. It will be beneficial to you if you are good at acoustic. If you have had experience with barre chords or bending on an acoustic you will be awesome with 9's on an electric. You may sound like Gilmour. Tell me you know who he is.
I'd recommend a lower end yet japanese Ibanez. For thw following reasons:
-Cheaper for high quality
-Nice comfortable neck(needed for a starter)
-Versatile pickup configuration(again needed for a starter, whatever you like, you'll have to test any genre before you choose the best one, you preferences generally change when you start playing)
-Almost all japanese models will stay in tune nicely. Using Gotoh Tuners and high quality hardware etc.
I play lots of metalcore, and I'll just list a few brands that you might want to look into to narrow your search down a little bit. These are probably the top brands for what you'll be looking at.

B.C. Rich
ESP
Ibanez
Jackson
Schecter
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Don't short yourself on the amp though, you won't be satisfied. Kind of funny because I had three electrics before I got my acoustic. It will be beneficial to you if you are good at acoustic. If you have had experience with barre chords or bending on an acoustic you will be awesome with 9's on an electric. You may sound like Gilmour. Tell me you know who he is.

No, but I do now, just googled him, feel free to throw rocks at me No experience whatsoever but it seems like it will take some time and research till I get an electric, so till then I'll familiarize with the acoustic a bit... if i can tune it that is, but I hear it's easy and I can do it myself.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Well you guys were fast to help me and I thank you all. I'll study the archives to learn more about it. In the meantime I'll dust off the acoustic and do some studying. I'll get back to this thread later when I have learned more.
You can get a hell of a set neck schecter for that kind of money,full acess to 24 frets,Epiphone Les Paul,s you can find pretty reasonable,and MIM Strats,but you said tou wanted humbuckers.If you go on Amazon,you can get aGibson Studio for about $850.And they have used ones.So does Guitar Center,and music123 or Musicians friend.I've got P-90 single coils on a couple of guitars and they put buckers to shame for high end gain and"bite"Good Luck,they're out there.Try a Schecter Omen.panhead201 I've never played an Ibanez but everybody seems to have good things to say about em.No idea of the $$$$ though,PRS SE,s too
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Black LP Custom,lefty
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[06 Schecter C-! Classic,,lefty
[28 National resonator
[Mesa triple rec Marshall "A"cab
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[Mesa Nomad 45,4-10,s,combo
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Last edited by panhead201 at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by Aetsirc
No, but I do now, just googled him, feel free to throw rocks at me No experience whatsoever but it seems like it will take some time and research till I get an electric, so till then I'll familiarize with the acoustic a bit... if i can tune it that is, but I hear it's easy and I can do it myself.

you don't know how to tune one?I can explain it but I'm sure there,s forums on here that have explanations and diagrams,If you need help,ask.panhead201 actually theres a guitar in my profile pics tgat may be to your liking.It's lefty and not for sale but the style and looks may strike you.Actually,it's the easiest and best playing guitar I probably have.There's a righty not quite like it for sale in a pawnshop near here.More color,golden burst,and herringbone inlays,gold hardware,If it's something you may be interesting I can send a pic.I go in there all the time.....Good Luck
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Last edited by panhead201 at Mar 31, 2012,
It's not mandatory starting on an acoustic,just like being uneducated does not mean being a dumbo as you put it,It,s less expensive and more challenging starting on an acoustic,but when you do switch to electric it will seem alot easier,just more things to consider.Tone.effects,etc,etc.But if you have an electric readily available,and thats what you really want to do,go for it.There are plenty of places to teach you how to string,tune and basic chord structures,including here,and lots of people willing to help.panhead201
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
You can find a tuner for under $20 bucks in any music store radio /Shack,Walmart,E-bay.Your guitar is tuned EADGBE starting from the top,the lowest string in pitch
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721

Amp?

Blackstar,Jet,Bugera 333,a deVille or deluxe might be a little over his budget and he,s not sure what he wants to do,I think.
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
All I am saying is a HT-1R would be a lot better than a spyder. In all honesty, you need to get "THE GUITAR" because that's the perfect starter guitar. If you are really interested buy a great guitar and it will keep you interested. Don't rush though.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
All I am saying is a HT-1R would be a lot better than a spyder. In all honesty, you need to get "THE GUITAR" because that's the perfect starter guitar. If you are really interested buy a great guitar and it will keep you interested. Don't rush though.

I just came to the same conclusion...I won't rush into it just for the sake of buying a guitar. In the meantime will put some more money aside and also learn the basics on acoustic. Thanks for the tip.
Quote by panhead201
You can find a tuner for under $20 bucks in any music store radio /Shack,Walmart,E-bay.Your guitar is tuned EADGBE starting from the top,the lowest string in pitch

Just tuned it myself..with help from a youtube video. Kinda proud of myself actually
Eddy Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddy FTW
Quote by Aetsirc
Just tuned it myself..with help from a youtube video. Kinda proud of myself actually
Eddy Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddy FTW

Cool!.Keep at itNow you got something to play while you find the stuff you like and can afford,Good luck,panhead
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Quote by panhead201
Cool!.Keep at itNow you got something to play while you find the stuff you like and can afford,Good luck,panhead

Thanks a lot! Cheers!
How about a Fender Strat? If you are a beginner, then a Strat has wide frets, which is easier to learn to play than guitars with narrow frets. Also, Strats can be used to play any genre. So I suugest a Strat.

ron666
Page 1 of 3