Hey, could anyone recommend any good guitar theory books or websites I can learn some theory from, especially to help towards soloing as my soloing is always contained within a certain "box" if that makes sense :P I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could post a link to a site or a book I could buy that would help expand my soloing ideas, thanks
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=the+crusade&search_type=columns

Start with lesson one and don't skip anything; theory is based on a solid foundation of basics and if you don't understand those then you don't stand a chance with the rest of it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ah dude thank you so much for that , this may sound like a stupid question but how long does it generally take to obtain a solid foundation in theory knowledge?
Time. It doesn't matter how long it takes.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Oh and do these articles cover everything, or is there an even more advanced set I should start on once I really start to understand the basics?
Quote by unbornsea1
Oh and do these articles cover everything, or is there an even more advanced set I should start on once I really start to understand the basics?

That set of columns will likely keep you busy for a long time, I wouldn't worry about what comes after it just yet. They don't just cover the basics but they're not all the theory there is to learn. Once you've got through that lot you'll know more about what you want to learn so I'd wait until then to be asking what comes after.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
TS, I'd just like to add that your lack of knowledge of theory is probably not your issue when soloing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't learn theory - you definitely should - I'm just saying that theory is not your biggest problem.

I'm just guessing, but I'd say that you don't know the notes of the fretboard and your learned a scale or scales as a series of positions, right? If that's so, you need to forget about those positions. They are there for convenience and nothing more. Learn the notes of the fretboard and learn scales as a series of notes and intervals. Theory will cover this in greater detail. Then it's just a matter of practice. Other than that, Zaphod is right on.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.