I recently bought an old beat up squier strat for 50 bucks that I would like to fix up and re-paint and get it decent-looking and sounding..

It has some major electrical problems, the pickup-selector switch didn't work and broke apart when i took off the pickguard, and both tone knobs don't seem to work (then again the pickup-selector only worked on the mid pickup). Can anyone help me out on the wiring of the pickup selector?

It a 5 position selector, that seems to have 8 pins, 3 of them have cables going to 1-tone knob 2-tone knob 3-volume knob and 3 pins have cables coming out of them that seem to be cut.

Should I just re-do the entire wiring all-together? Can anyone give me an electrical map I can follow?

Cheers !
It really depends on the pickups, but this might help http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1201/Strat-Style-Guitar-Wiring-Diagram.html

If you are going to rewire everything, I would suggest getting new pots, switch, and input jack. All together this will run you about $30 and is worth it. You can get them from the site posted above. Maybe some new pickups too - the ones in the squire aren't the best.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I was considering re-doing all the electric part of it now and upgrading pickups later on. I will also be sanding and re-painting during the week ! But I wanna get the electric part figured out first.

Cheers mate!
If you are doing that work, don't forget to shield the cavities with conductive paint and then shield the pickguard with copper shielding.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I just finished my project squier today so I can help you. I would suggest a total rewiring of everything. I purchased all dimarzio parts (pots, pups, jacj...ect) and it sounds nothing like a squier anymore, more like a custom shop fender

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj557/conor1423/photo8.jpg

But beware, painting is HARD. If you don't have a air gun, it will be very agonizing. I pained mine with pray paint, it's not perfect, but it sounds incredible. Also, Dimarzio.com has a lot of wiring diagrams that can be extremely helpful.