Okay, so on my Oak Telecaster Build, I'm using the lines on the template to line everything up before hand and check everything before I do any routing. So I am using a spare Ibanez 24 fret/25.25" scale neck and it measured off. I was wondering if the actual neck I'll put on it (it hasn't arrived yet) is 22 frets/25.5" scale, do I just ignore the last two frets on the Ibanez neck, as it all lined up perfectly then?
scale is a measurement from nut to bridge. the necks may be different, so I would double check
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
scale is a measurement from nut to bridge. the necks may be different, so I would double check

I know, but I was thinking maybe the heel on the 24 fret neck was extended so the overhang wouldn't be huge.
Scale length is measured from the nut to the middle of the 12th fret times two. The difference between 22 and 24 fret necks usually is the fretboard overhang. You should be ok, bud.
My 24 fet HM strat only has about a quarter of an inch of overhang. The heel goes all the way to the very last fret. I wouldn't want to guess where a 22 or 21 fret heel would normally end based on looking at my HM neck.

A 22 fret neck is going to have some overhang, so I'd honestly just wait till the neck comes then do your measuring. Either that or as you suggested, take the neck off of your tele and measure it, or look for some plans online with proper measurements.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Apr 2, 2012,
No worries anymore, the neck surprised me by arriving today. Problem solved, the 24-fret overhang was too much, I had it right.