Okay, okay, okay. I feel like I should preface this with a little "disclaimer". Yes, I am asking for your opinion on a Line 6 amp. I am well aware of the Line 6 hate club and I have used some of the older low wattage Line 6 Spider III amps. Moreover, I have had experience with some very nice amps like some high-end Marshalls and a few Peavey 5150s. I am on a very low budget, had to sell just about everything to pay court fines, and I need a stack for brutal all-out distortion for cheap.

*Disclaimer Done*

Okay, so I think I can use the shitty harsh tone of the Line 6 amp to my advantage and they actually have some decent bottom end. I play brutal death metal (think: Mortician, Pathology, Devourment, old Cannibal Corpse, etc, etc, etc) primarily. I am well aware of dialing in good EQ settings (lower gain, more mids, etc), but for my recordings I would like LOTS of gain VERY LOW mids, and great bottom end so I can get a fuzzy, muddy tone.

To conclude. Do you think that the Spider IV stack which goes for about $650 would be able to get me what I need? Or should I just go with a POD HD500 or something as I don't play out much and mostly just sit in my closet and record new tunes haha. By the way, the reason I want such high wattage is that I get called in by a lot of friends to jam in their band practices.

Sorry for being so wordy! Thanks!
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Just to be clear, $650 is your budget? You can do much better for that much money. You do not need to get a stack to keep up with a band.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
With the budget of $650 ditch the idea of a stack unless you are willing to go used (which even then aren't many options). Get a new 6505+ 1x12 or used 5150 2x12 combo. If you need the projection from a 4x12 you can save for an extension cab later on.
If you can find a Peavey 5150 2x12 combo, you would be in business. And they're not incredibly difficult to find these days. My friend scored one on Craigslist for $350 (that was a lucky break though).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
$650 get's you a 5150 all day long bro jangles.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I bought my Vypyr Tube half stack for less than $650. I got the cab on Craigslist, head on eBay.

Where are you located? $650 can potentially be very flexible, but it really depends on where you're located.

Do you need a half stack? You can do more with your money with a combo than a stack, but if you need a stack, I understand that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 30, 2012,
Quote by souperman08
If you can find a Peavey 5150 2x12 combo, you would be in business. And they're not incredibly difficult to find these days. My friend scored one on Craigslist for $350 (that was a lucky break though).

+1

Line 6 is ok. Their higher end stuff is pretty good, but the Spider series aren't all that great. The POD HD series are decent modelers, but they sound very digital.

A 5150 combo would be right up your alley. Or, look into one of the Orange lunchbox amps- tiny or dark terror with a decent cab. I'd comb Craigslist for them- I've seen the dark terror heads go for about $350-$400 on CL. I'm thinking about picking one up myself.
I'm with the other guys. Just get a good combo. A good tube amp is going to fill more space than a Spider half stack ever will, and it'll sound better and respond better to your technique.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Carvin v3m plus distortion?
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
If you care not about Solid State or Tube, I'd say B-52 LG 100 Head or Ampeg 140 ( I believe that's the amp that a lot of Death Metal players used. Could be wrong) Or you might save a little bit more and get a decent tube amp like a 6505+. I just scored one for $800.
The Line 6 Vetta II half stack has been reduced from £2000 to £600 on Andertons, comes with a 4x12 with Vintage 30's, should be perfect for you.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-amp-heads/pid23949/cid689/line-6-vetta-ii-head-plus-matching-vetta-4x12-celestion-30-cab.asp
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
I can think of about 15 amps I'd rather have for $650 than a spiderstack. IIRC you can grab a V3m for that brand new if you already have a cab.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
.....do people really worry about their tone for that genre of music?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro

If you have nothing to contribute besides genre hate, please just stay quiet

I would never recommend a Spider for anything. The Vetta, on the other hand, is an amazing piece of equipment.
Get a POD HD and use the Bogner Uberschall setting.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by EspTro

Your an idiot, Not only is the completely untrue but you also contributed nothing to this thread. Go away

Anyway im running a b-52 atx-100 through a mesa 4x12 right now for my hardcore band. i got all this for pretty much 800 bucks. search around on guitar center used there's some good cheap stuff there and if its in another they will ship to your local store for like 10 bucks. just keep looking mah friend
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
not hating on the genre, but i just finished watching those videos of nile on youtube from guitar world and was like

and also yea, 5150 or v3

there now im semi-contributing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by EspTro
not hating on the genre, but i just finished watching those videos of nile on youtube from guitar world and was like

and also yea, 5150 or v3

there now im semi-contributing

Bit too late...

But a 5150 would be a great amp for metal.

And to answer your question, YES. We do worry about tone for our genre of music. Not everything sounds like a boosted JCM800 or a Peavey 6505+, not to mention, I doubt anyone but Bogner has come close to the Uberschall sound.
Quote by EspTro

You're thinking about black metal. Very different than death metal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You're thinking about black metal. Very different than death metal.

in that case

my bad
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Dude, if you just want death metal, id recommend a randall rh100 or 200. Head can be found for <200 and then you got the rest of that cash for a sweet mesa or orange cab used. That's what I use mine for, and its brootz. The spider would be a waste, if you want simple heavy, chunky distortion with the ability to scoop all your mids, grab an amp known for that. For gigging id definitely go with the 200
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.