i bought a MIM Fender Jazzmaster which was setup horribly at the shop but i knew i could fix it. set it up at home and it finally stayed in tune and had my action where i wanted it.

it plays amazing now.

however i have noticed over the last couple months playing it that this guitar has NO SUSTAIN, notes die off really fast even though my frets arent buzzing cause i have my action set pretty high. also the small allen screws that hold the saddles keep unscrewing themselves, probably from the vibration of the strings. i am sick of this bridge. i thought about putting locktite on the screws but that wouldnt solve the sustain issue. i think its time for a new bridge.

any recommendations?
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
Quote by voltafan485
i bought a MIM Fender Jazzmaster which was setup horribly at the shop but i knew i could fix it. set it up at home and it finally stayed in tune and had my action where i wanted it.

it plays amazing now.

however i have noticed over the last couple months playing it that this guitar has NO SUSTAIN, notes die off really fast even though my frets arent buzzing cause i have my action set pretty high. also the small allen screws that hold the saddles keep unscrewing themselves, probably from the vibration of the strings. i am sick of this bridge. i thought about putting locktite on the screws but that wouldnt solve the sustain issue. i think its time for a new bridge.

any recommendations?

How bad is the sustain problem? Sounds like you got a bad guitar as opposed to a setup/hardware problem.
Quote by Strats&Cats
How bad is the sustain problem? Sounds like you got a bad guitar as opposed to a setup/hardware problem.

its not terrible but i know this guitar should have more sustain than it does. harmonics seem to die off within a couple seconds and fretted notes last about 3 seconds before they lose volume. i hope its not a bad guitar

ive done everything i can think of, new strings, graphite in the nut slots, action. are there any other fixes?

JustRooster http://www.masterybridge.com/bridge/

Try that. I'm a huge fan

that looks awesome!
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Jazz masters are famous for a lack of sustain. It's why they were so popular with those alternative lads in the late 80s early 90s. There's nothing wrong with your guitar, it's how they are
Which MIM Jazzmaster?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
not exactly sure its got a humbucker in the bridge and a p90 in the neck
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Quote by voltafan485
not exactly sure its got a humbucker in the bridge and a p90 in the neck

Ok, thats the Blacktop Jazzmaster. It has an original Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge, which aren't great at all. The most common fix is to replace it with a Mustang bridge ($50 at Warmoth). It should be a drop in replacement, though you might need to wrap the mounting posts with tape to make it fit more snuggly.

Also, your Jazzmaster does not have a P90. It has a Jazzmaster pickup in the neck. Fender doesn't make Jazzmasters with p90s.

EDIT: This'll fix the screw issue, but it will only increase sustain a little.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Mar 31, 2012,
thanks kangaxxter, i think i will go for the mustang bridge since its much cheaper than the mastery which i cant use anyway cause i use a wound g.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Quote by voltafan485
thanks kangaxxter, i think i will go for the mustang bridge since its much cheaper than the mastery which i cant use anyway cause i use a wound g.

Full disclosure, the Mastery Bridge is almost definitely the better investment. The Mustang bridge is just an underengineered Jazzmaster bridge.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
If you really hate the bridge, then yeah a mustang bridge is your easiest solution. I don't think it'll help your sustain problem though. Mustangs don't sustain well either after all.

I'm curious what you're comparing the sustain to... I would think the humbucker would allow for plenty. It isn't going to be like a Les Paul though.

And personally I think the Mastery is just an over engineered JM bridge.
Gear
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Fender Deluxe Reverb
Jaguar | Stratocaster | Telecaster | Jazzmaster
Last edited by WrathofKahn at Apr 1, 2012,