Things came up and I need to play guitar for my church's praise team. I saw someone post a similar question about his band but my price range and guitar selection is a bit different.

I have been looking mainly at telecasters (since that seems to be the standard guitar for worship bands). I found the Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II, the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster, the Fender FSR standard Ash Telecaster and the Fender Blacktop Baritone to be good choices for me.

tl;dr? - Recommend me a guitar suited mainly for christian worship/praise (I.E: Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Starfield) under ~$500.

Thanks
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Last edited by itzkpanda at Mar 31, 2012,
Having not listened to any of this - could you describe the sound for me?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of tele's, I'm more of a strat guy, so my rec goes to a Fender MIM strat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Most of the rock-oriented services I've been to use acoustics as the primary guitar. When an electric was used, it was usually a Strat. Then again, I'm in Texas- Strat central, IOW.)

When it wasn't a Strat, it was some kind of hollowbody or samihollow- I've seen Carvins, PRSs and others.*

My take on it is this: any guitar that can deliver a high-quality clean sound will be just fine, as long as you don't buy one that has Über Bröötal Metül graphics.

* Hmmmmm...a semi-hollow 12-string (Rickenbacker? Veilette?) would totally rule in a church setting!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well... I can't really describe the sound. you have to listen to it yourself :/

Id be willing to look into a strat but I'm not too thrilled about how they feel and look.
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Skillet is the only band I'm familiar with, and they use a pretty good amount of distortion...

Epiphone Les Paul. I would say PRS SE 24 or 22, but they're a little over 600.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
I was considering the Les Pauls and PRS's but I'm not too sure how well the humbuckers sound clean compared to a tele or a strat.

And I was considering the baritone due to the 2 single coils and the humbucker
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
You shouldn't the Fender BlackTop Baritone, because its more of a bass then a guitar.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Humbuckers can sound very nice clean...if they're the right kind- don't expect nice cleans from humbuckers voiced for metal, for instance.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Mm, is the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top any good?
And what about Squiers?
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
I have a plain top LP, actually, and it's nice, but the stock pickups are unbelievably muddy and it's a freakin' boat anchor.

Squier? CV 50's tele is the only one of those I'd go for that isn't a strat. If I were going for a strat, a CV 50's/60's.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I have a plain top LP, actually, and it's nice, but the stock pickups are unbelievably muddy and it's a freakin' boat anchor.

Squier? CV 50's tele is the only one of those I'd go for that isn't a strat. If I were going for a strat, a CV 50's/60's.

Ah I see. Do you know how well the Teles and Strats can handle gain with the single coils?
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
I haven't owned a strat in years, but single coils DO tend to hum a bit (quite a bit with high gain) if you don't have a noise gate. The sound, however, is fine. Best compromise? Fat strat, with a humbucker in the bridge position.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by itzkpanda
Mm, is the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top any good?
And what about Squiers?

LP Standards are pretty good all round guitars; they desperately need new pickups though. I don't get why Epiphone cannot design pickups that aren't so damn muddy. They're also heavy guitars.

As for the Squiers, you want a Classic Vibe or a Vintage Modified. They won't do high gain that well because it'll be noisy and lack bass end. Go for a HSS strat if you're doing high-ish gain on a Fender style guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
What's your guys' opinions about the blacktop series?
The blacktop tele and the blacktop strat HSH seem nice
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000