I've been playing guitar for a few years now. I do mostly covers and the like and i have a decent base with technique, but I'm mostly clueless when it comes to writing a good riff or something. I looked through the lessons section but I got lost.

What I need is a starting point

I know the Pentatonic minor, and i can do some really simple solos, but other than that I can't do much. Maybe a short riff, but it's never complete.

Are there any good lessons out there? Maybe a series of lessons I can go through? I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, I spend to much time lurking in the pit.
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
A starting point could be a chord progression, a riff, a lyric or a melody - experiment/improvise till you come up something then explore that something.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I can only tell you what worked for me.

For me, the key to creating music was developing my ear and my intuition. In my experience, when you try to write music by noodling around (in a scale or not) on the guitar you tend to come up with fairly obvious trite stuff and you're only sort of "writing" by luck and happenstance.

Instead, train your ear. (Download the functional ear trainer from miles.be, and get a good book on ear training. I recommend Wyatt's).

Then writing music becomes about listening. It's about listening to the sounds in your head, and finding them on your guitar. It's about listening to the world around you, and letting that inspire your musical ideas.

So, for example, let's say you've stumbled across a two chord pattern that you like, something about the chords and the rhythm appeals to you, or maybe it's a riff, or who knows - let's say you have some seed that you want to grow a song out of. Rather than move around the fretboard looking for something to play next, play your seed.

Play it a couple of times.

And then stop playing and listen. Listen hard, to the sounds in your head. What do you WANT to hear next? If you don't get anything, repeat the process - play your "seed' again. And listen.

At some point, you'll get an idea of what to play next, and play it. Listen to it. Does it work? If no, okay, throw it away and go back to the seed. If it does work, however, now you have a new seed:
your original seed + the new idea. Play the new seed a few times ... what do you want to hear next? Repeat.

I've found that the more I've trained my ear, the more complex the sounds I hear in my head are. eg, when I have mastered the ability to recognize an inversion with my ear, I'm more likely to hear an inversion in my head as the next chord.