View poll results: Read OP...
Yes
23 46%
No
19 38%
Not sure
8 16%
Voters: 50.
Okay, if there was a way to stop the body from aging to the point that it begins to break down before a cure for AIDS/cancer/heart disease/etc. was developed would people be more cautious about their health?

The reason I ask is that if there was a way to stop the body from aging people would be practically immortal (not counting accidents such as car/train/airplane crashes, and the diseases/virus mentioned in OP) then it would make sense that they would be more careful about what they do with their body. If people didn't have to worry about a natural death/death from old age then the only thing they would have to worry about is the things that they do to themselves.

TL;DR: If a cure for natural death was developed would people be more careful about unnatural death (cancer from smoking, car accidents, drug/drinking related, etc.)?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Who would want to be forever young
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
lolis
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Dirge Humani
It's a good thing you specified body because everyone would go crazy with dementia eventually

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I think so. You automatically would remove so many stresses out of life. Work would be alot less stressful seeing as you wont see it as wasting your life away working when you could be at home with the family. If you all live forever it doesnt matter as much. Although, I think a disease such as cancer would find you soon rather than later so I'd work on a cure for that asap.
Yes.

People would treat themselves more carefully in the knowledge that they will never die from natural causes.

People may be happier because they have eternity potentially to discover who they really were and what they wanted to do. However, people may become hypochondriacs because they'll be more afraid of what might kill them.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 31, 2012,
I say no.

I feel like it would make people more open to doing those things actually. If people want to smoke or drink, they're gonna do it whether it kills them or not.

My grandpa quit smoking a few years ago. But then within a year he was like "oh this sucks" so he started smoking again simply because he liked to do it. His philosophy is very "eat that piece of bacon and enjoy it, life isn't fun unless you do things that you like to do, and if it kills you in the process then so be it...at least you went down happy." My grandpa is so fucking cool.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator

I want to be forever young

like thirty or something

That'd be great
No, if people don't care about their bodies when life is short, extending it won't do anything, in fact I would predict people using this as an excuse to be more reckless.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by CodeMonk
We would all starve to death eventually.

most people die from unnatural causes

so we wouldn't really have that massive of an over-population for a decent amount of time.
If everyone was immortal we'd need a VERY strict birthing policy. VERY strict.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
If everyone was immortal we'd need a VERY strict birthing policy. VERY strict.

Not necessarily. The only countries that really have issues with high birth rates are underdeveloped nations. That's because the situations are so screwed up that there are a lot of kids that don't make it to adulthood. I think I could see the birthrates dropping quite a bit over time to even out with the lack of people dying. The only places I can think of (that are developed) are countries/regions that are very religious and take part in a religion that preaches that they should be spread their DNA into the gene pool.
Quote by L2112Lif
Yes.

This is also my dream. Immortality.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
Yes.

This is also my dream. Immortality.

inb4 DBZ
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
inb4 DBZ

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by jwizzle5786
who the shit is this queer

What do French people like to put around their necks to protect them from Vampires?
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What do French people like to put around their necks to protect them from Vampires?

A cross?
Quote by jwizzle5786
A cross?

What other item may a French person stereotypically have around their neck that vampires happen to hate?
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Please understand that this is a coping mechanism in trying to forget the Garlic Jr saga ever existed.
Quote by jwizzle5786
Please understand that this is a coping mechanism in trying to forget the Garlic Jr saga ever existed.

Tell me about it. He was boring as shit.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Tell me about it. He was boring as shit.

He's terrible, generic, and was somehow able to give everyone trouble yet being weaker than Frieza. And he's terrible and terrible.
uh... old age hardly kills people. straight up old age. i dont think it would, i dont see the relation you are making at all.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
uh... old age hardly kills people. straight up old age. i dont think it would, i dont see the relation you are making at all.

To, but if people thought they could expect to hit 80, and not get tired making a cup of tea, and not start to shrink like so mnay old people do, and still get boners and stuff...
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
No, they would not.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Dying of old age doesn't just happen; "natural" death doesn't need to be natural. How long you've been alive is irrelevant. It is the degradation and mutations of the body that kill us. In terms of biogerontology, there are seven factors which contribute to natural aging damage:

1. Cell Loss/Cell Atrophy
2. Extracellular Junk
3. Extracellular Crosslinks
4. Cell Senescence
5. mtDNA Mutations
6. Intracellular Junk
7. Nuclear [epi]mutations

If (when) these things can be corrected, it will allow us to extend our healthy lifespan. It goes beyond just longevity because it is actually improving your health as well, including reversing cancer effects. So why has progress been so slow? Because biogerontology is a very overlooked field and many people have a poor perception of what it is trying to achieve. If anyone is looking for a career path and is interested in Biology, I strongly recommend looking to get into the field of Biogerontology.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
terrible idea,sounds like a long boring lifetime.

well, only if my dog can live forever with me too.
Can't be sure. Some will, some won't, most won't even think about it.

It's not like anybody can afford it anyway.
Quote by bradulator

Dorian Gray
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash