Yeah so I've had this problem(?) for a long time.. When I play stuff like:

16--13----------------------18--13------------16--13-----------------13--16--13--
----------16--13----------------------16--13------------16--13--16-----------------
--------------------15--13---------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in a fast tempo I always find it easier to start with an upstroke. It feels very awkward to start with down because there's no way I'm going to shred up and down when starting with a downstroke. Anyone else have this problem? There's nothing wrong with my playing, it sounds clean but I've never heard about anyone starting with upstroke.
so where exactly is the problem, if there is nothing wrong, there is nothing wrong O_o
I also start with an upstroke, and it seems logical to me that an upstroke will be stronger than a down, because our arms find it easier to contract and lift than to powerfully fling out? Same as bending towards your palm is easier to control than bending away.
I think that you use an upstroke in this lick because you will then you inside picking to string shift (besides that jump back to the e from the g). Some people like inside, some like outside. Me, personally, has spent the past year and a half working on them both, so i have no problems with either. You should practice all your licks ten times in a row perfectly with both inside and outside picking, starting with both an up and down stroke. It will be beneficial in the long run.
Quote by Mondavarious
Yeah so I've had this problem(?) for a long time.. When I play stuff like:

16--13----------------------18--13------------16--13-----------------13--16--13--
----------16--13----------------------16--13------------16--13--16-----------------
--------------------15--13---------------------------------------------------------------

in a fast tempo I always find it easier to start with an upstroke. It feels very awkward to start with down because there's no way I'm going to shred up and down when starting with a downstroke. Anyone else have this problem? There's nothing wrong with my playing, it sounds clean but I've never heard about anyone starting with upstroke.

If this musical situation calls for an upstroke to start with you are correct in doing it like that and I can not see why a down stroke will be needed here.

Another situation might call for a down stroke to start and then you might have to learn a better or new way of starting based on this musical situation so it is rather a more effective way then a "better" way.