I was at guitar center the other day purchasing some pickups and as I'm browsing around, I hear some dude fiddling around on an amp, and it sounded pretty Bitchin. He wasn't blasting it, but he was playin some metal riffs and the tone and distortion sounded really good. He was on one of the half stacks, so as I stroll over to check out what he's playin on, notice he was playin on a fender. Don't know what kind of fender, all I know is it was a head, and the dude had a good metal tone comin out of it.
Anyone know which amp this is? never new fenders had this kind of overdrive sound.
was it a 5150? Says EVH on the badge, but it's made by Fender.

EDIT: Though I'm assuming the badge on the amp actually said Fender... I'm not familiar with any Fender badged amp heads that would be good at metal, unless it was a modeller... maybe a mustang head??

Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Mar 31, 2012,
see my edit above....
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Well I'm pretty sure it looked like the supersonic, but still not sure. it did sound pretty metal-ish, but then again it wasn't very loud, and i only listened to it a second, so I didn't get to fool around on it myself. I was just confused that this kinda crunchy sound came from a fender lol
supersonic?

metalhead? o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's a Supersonic 60w head as well as the 100w.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
It was probably a used Fender Prosonic. In the mid 90's Fender tried to compete with the modern-metal amp market dominated by Mesa, Peavey, and Crate and released a few rather beefy heads during that time period. One was the Prosonic. It didn't sell very well due it's cosmetics looking like a classic Blackface, but it was metal as fuck and not only had a lot of gain (more than a Marshall TSL FWIH), but was modern voiced.

Another was the Fender Roc Pro line. These were hybrids like the Marshall Valvestates. They don't sound wonderful, but they're rather decent for the prices they go for used ($99 for a head). Yngwie Malmsteen apparently used to use them in clinics and sessions.

The Frontmans also give a lot of gain and can do metal but those sound like shit so fuck'm.
It was probably just a Mustang.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X